This Week's SATURDAY SHORTS: Prep your mind to be blown! (Mixed bag)
Hello ladies and gentlemen, Muldoon here with this week's kickass round up of quality shorts sent in by fellow AICN readers. I've been leaning pretty heavily lately on "mixed bags" rather than programmed genre chunks. I kind of dig that, a little bit of everything each week. At any rate, as always I stand by each and every short that's ever graced the pages of SATURDAY SHORTS and have been privileged to get to share them with you guys - this week is no exception. Seriously, it's a fun fest today with flicks that on the outset might not seem to be your cup of tea, but after that first sip - Bam! you'll be glad you hit play. If you see something you like or something hits you right in the question-asking spot, go ahead, shoot off your thoughts in the TalkBacks below and get a little conversation going, possibly a post screening Q&A vibe if any of the filmmakers happen to be in the audience. Anyways, that's enough jibber jabber - let's do this!
Go grab yourself some popcorn, lock your kids in a closet, kill the lights, relax and check out this little weekly film fest we've got ourselves here:
Let's kick this shindig off right with a pretty hilarious mix of STAR KID (Mr. Joseph Mazzello) and the crazy chick from THE SOCIAL NETWORK (Brenda Song). (I kid, I kid - they've both clearly been in MANY other projects and it shows.) From director Charles Hood, we get FIRST KISS, a well acted, nicely shot, and well paced fun film that never overstays its welcome. If you dig what you see, be sure to check out Hood's website.
A guy and a girl encounter all sorts of obstacles while trying for their first kiss.
Next up we have a fun film from Patrick Ryan Morris of Dedalus Moving Pictures. "Operative #18912525 has been brought in for questioning due to some irregularities on his last mission, irregularities thought to be impossible due to his training."
Here's a head scratcher of a short. I must admit, I'm a little "huh?" on this one, but I like it. I doubt that makes too much sense, but think a few of you folks might feel the same. Regardless, I dig it and think Hussein Juma did a great job with it.
A dog-mask wearing detective comes into possession of a coveted object, plunging him into a bizarre and surreal sequence of events involving a beautiful woman, an unfinished sculpture, a storm of bullets, and a ghostly excess of long, blond hair.
From Max Azulay we have 8 minutes of delightful fun with THE HOMAGE. It's tonally totally different than our first short of the week (above), but feels right. Keep 'em coming Max!
"At a baby shower, a young and expecting couple pull their friend Carlton aside to deliver an important piece of news."
And to close out this week we have a rather impressive trip into a digital world. Filmmaker Bruce Branit (of 405 fame) shot this in one day, and then spent 18 months in post bringing it to life. Good things are worth the wait and kickass visual effects are no exception. (*cough, "Hey Hollywood, take note*)
A man builds a holographic world for the woman he loves...
And that's it for these week guys and gals. I hope you dug the selection, if not - lo siento, hopefully you'll dig next week's! Thanks for reading/ watching. I'll see you all next week with more interesting short films created and submitted by AICN readers. But hey, feel like hitting up past SATURDAY SHORTS? Click any of the links on this ever expanding list to be taken to a magical world of pure imagination (okay, that's cheese, just let it slide and we're good):
If you have a short and think it belongs here or are on the fence about whether to send it in, please do send it in - I'd love to see what you've put together. I've already seen hundreds of fresh new filmmakers' shorts and like any good addict, I need more!
Shoot me an email at "Mike@aintitcool.com"
In the subject line include:
“SHORTS” + “Your film’s name” + “The film’s genre”
Then, in the body of the email, please include a synopsis of the film and any contact information you might think I need or would want published. The more info you send my way, the more info there is to put with your short.
Please don’t feel the need to submit multiple times.
Remember, the filmmakers might still be in the audience, so feel free to share your thoughts in Talkbacks below. (JUST DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE). I picked them, so you know I think highly of all of these, but how about you fine folks? How'd you like 'em?
- Mike McCutchen
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Chats Up BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER / ED WOOD Icon (And Hollywood Royalty) Juliet Landau!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 356 total posts 329 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 150 total posts 21 posts
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 18 total posts 18 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 10 total posts 10 posts
- Fox Renews For Next Season THE MINDY PROJECT, THE FOLLOWING, BROOKLYN NINE-NINE And NEW GIRL!! -- 63 total posts 9 posts
- Quint eats up Jon Favreau's CHEF, opening night flick of SXSW 2014! -- 34 total posts 6 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 5 total posts 5 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 257 total posts 4 posts
- Michael Fassbender makes experimental music from behind a giant papier-mache head in this trailer for FRANK! -- 57 total posts 4 posts
- Learn What Happens Next On HBO’s GAME OF THRONES!! -- 141 total posts 4 posts