This Week's SATURDAY SHORTS: Animation Galore!
Hello ladies and gentlemen, Muldoon here with this week's set of short film fun. Today we'll be checking out a handful of animated shorts that each have a distinct vibe of their own, totally different and charming in their own way. So let's simply jump in, eh?
Go grab yourself some popcorn, lock your kids in a closet, kill the lights, relax and check out this little weekly film fest we've got ourselves here:
To kick this week off with a bang we have an insane short from Christy Karacas and Stephen Warbick. This short was rejected from pretty much every festival out there and then someone at Adult Swim got ahold of it and BAM! Now the guys make the show SUPERJAIL.
LOVE IN DECAY
So I had no clue there existed 48 hour animation competitions... i mean seriously, it's insane enough for "normal" 48 hour competitions, but jeeze... From Ryan Cooper at Muckpuddy comes this funny little dip into zombie love. "A chance meeting throws two post-apocalyptic Zombie street cleaners in to an unexpected and unpredictable, whirlwind romance."
HALF A PANTALOON
Here we have the specific short that screamed "Muldoon, you've GOT to make this week all about animation." It's an incredibly artfull and funny five minutes packed with love. Seriously, this is great. You can stop on any frame and say "Bam, I'd proudly hang that on my wall." While I might be focusing too much on it's damn nice look, it's funny. This one was sent in by SATURDAY SHORTS alum Hector Herrera (Beastly Bards) and is voiced by Canada's very own Jayne Eastwood.
Here's a story only that could really only be told through animation... A rather tiny dip into the world of birds and just what the hell they must talk about all day. From Mike Scott with Happy Fatties, we get "Two birds talking about what their crap can accomplish."
And lastly for the week we have a one minute dive into the world of future baseball. While I don't consider this necessarily a full fledged story with character development and the such... it's got an insane vision that I want to see more of. This piece is such a stylistic tease! Marc Rienzo really knocked it out of the park with this one. (Heyo!)
Bam! That's it for this week ladies and gentlemen. Come back next week for something a little more serious, some fine quality dramas that are sure to stick with you. If you can't wait until next week, click any of the links below to be transported to a world of awesome shorts:
If you have a short and think it belongs here or are on the fence about whether to send it in, please do send it in - I'd love to see what you've put together. I've already seen hundreds of fresh new filmmakers' shorts and like any good addict, I need more!
Shoot me an email at "Mike@aintitcool.com"
In the subject line include:
“SHORTS” + “Your film’s name” + “The film’s genre”
Then, in the body of the email, please include a synopsis of the film and any contact information you might think I need or would want published. The more info you send my way, the more info there is to put with your short.
Please don’t feel the need to submit multiple times.
Remember, the filmmakers might still be in the audience, so feel free to share your thoughts in Talkbacks below. (JUST DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE). I picked them, so you know I think highly of all of these, but how about you fine folks? How'd you like 'em?
- Mike McCutchen
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Matthew McConaughey as Randall Flag in THE STAND?!! -- 164 total posts 36 posts
- Take A ‘Deep Breath’ - The DOCTOR WHO S8 Weekend Docbacks Begin Now!! -- 122 total posts 13 posts
- Get A Grip On Denzel Washington’s EQUALIZER!! -- 115 total posts 5 posts
- ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Season Premiere Of DOCTOR WHO And Asks: Why Is It So Terrible?? -- 170 total posts 5 posts
- Quint sits down with Frank Miller to talk a little about Sin City: A Dame To Kill For! -- 162 total posts 3 posts
- An Andrew Dominik-written, Justin Lin-directed SHAOLIN TEMPLE remake is in the works! -- 26 total posts 3 posts
- AICN Tabletop: Abstruse Reports On GenCon 2014! -- 14 total posts 2 posts
- BIG BROTHER Eviction Nine!! RECTIFY & ROOKIE BLUE Finales!! New GARFUNKLE, JESUS, NAKED, QUEST, WORST, MARRIED, MYTHBUSTERS, RUSH, RECTIFY, DOOMSDAY, DEFIANCE, SWEDEN, SATISFACTION, ENGELS, GAME, BOO BOO, BAD, BIBLE!! Bunnymen On LETTERMAN!! Rehearsals On CONAN!! Herc’s Thursday TV Talkback!! -- 18 total posts 2 posts
- Is Tarantino about to make Jennifer Lawrence one of THE HATEFUL EIGHT!?! -- 163 total posts 2 posts
- Jeremy Receives His Marching Orders From Combat Carl Weathers For TOY STORY OF TERROR! -- 25 total posts 1 post