Have A Gander At Empire Operative The Inquisitor, Villian Of The New STAR WARS: REBELS Cartoon Series Set 14 Years After REVENGE OF THE SITH!!
According to a Lucasfilm release, The Inquisitor is "tasked by Darth Vader to hunt down the remaining Jedi Knights."
I gather the Inquisitor is not great at his job, since Ben Kenobi and Yoda are just fine by the time Ben tells Luke that Vader killed Luke’s pop. I gather also that padawan who was always screaming is still lurking about.
If you’ve not heard, screenwriter Simon Kinberg ("xXx: State of the Union," "Mr. & Mrs. Smith," "X-Men: The Last Stand," "Jumper," "Sherlock Holmes," "This Means War") is aboard as writer-producer (and maybe showrunner?) of “Star Wars: Rebels,” which launches next autumn on Disney XD.
Dave Filoni -- who directed the 2008 theatrical “Clone Wars” movie (you remember, the one with the gay Hutt!) and has been involved with the “Clone Wars” TV series ever since Lucasfilm dumped writer-director Genndy Tartakovsky -- is also aboard “Rebels.”
Details from starwars.com:
NYCC 2013: Meet the Inquisitor, the New Face of Evil in Star Wars Rebels
The next great villain from a galaxy far, far away is here. Fans attending Lucasfilm's Star Wars Rebels panel today at New York Comic Con got the world's first look at the Inquisitor, a black-clad, intimidating figure who will play a prominent role in the upcoming animated series. In a special video (available below) screened at the end of the panel, Star Wars Rebels executive producer Dave Filoni officially revealed the character, showing a sculpted maquette, design sketches, and disclosing that the Inquisitor is "tasked by Darth Vader to hunt down the remaining Jedi Knights."
The panel, hosted by Lucasfilm's Pablo Hidalgo, focused on the Empire and how it is central to the story of Star Wars Rebels. Hidalgo revealed that the series takes place about 14 years after the events of Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, a time in which the Emperor's rule is secure and the Empire is seeking to expand its power to Outer Rim territories. That leads Imperial forces to Lothal, a poor planet that initially welcomes the Empire on the promise of security and prosperity. It soon becomes obvious, however, that the Empire does not have Lothal's best interests at heart, as the Imperials exploit its people and begin recruiting young citizens to join TIE fighter and Stormtrooper academies, or to work in the Sienar Fleet Systems factory -- which builds TIE fighters -- in the planet's capital. Hidalgo showed new art focusing on Lothal, including the planet itself, a town, and alleyways, as well as an Empire recruitment poster.
The show is fully embracing the Star Wars legacy, taking direct inspiration from the original trilogy and its concept artist Ralph McQuarrie. Hidalgo displayed new Star Wars Rebels imagery and animation models for Stormtroopers, Star Destroyers, TIE fighters, and TIE fighter pilots, all of which fit seamlessly with classic Star Wars. Additionally, Hidalgo introduced several new Imperial vehicles and designs created for the series: the All Terrain Defense Pod (AT-DP), a ground attack walker based on an early Joe Johnston (the filmmaker who designed Boba Fett's armor and speeder bikes, and made other major contributions to Star Wars) illustration from 1979; the new AT-DP pilot, which blends designs of the classic AT-AT walker driver from Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back and the AT-ST walker pilot from Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi; the Imperial Troop Transport, which comes from an early Kenner toy that was actually not based on designs from the films; and the Imperial freighter, a reimagining of an Imperial-style craft designed for Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace by concept artist Doug Chiang, featuring a dock to transport TIE fighters from system to system.
If anything was made clear at today's panel, it's that the Empire is back -- thanks to Star Wars Rebels.
Star Wars Rebels is scheduled to premiere in fall 2014 as a one-hour special telecast on Disney Channel, it will be followed by a series on Disney XD channels around the world.
Filoni likes to wear hats indoors!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 222 total posts 143 posts
- Today's STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Status Report: Casting "Almost Complete", Second Unit Shooting Underway! -- 310 total posts 54 posts
- IT'S A SMALL WORLD: THE MOVIE directed by Jon Turteltaub is a real thing Disney wants to make! -- 65 total posts 45 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 291 total posts 43 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 386 total posts 29 posts
- ‘So Who Wants To Go First??’ Amy Acker Is The Cellist In Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ELSEWHERE & ER On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! New AWKWARD, SWAP, BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, TOSH, GLEE, FIRE, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL, FARGO, FISHER & VOICE!! CONTAINER Finale!! Don Rickles On KIMMEL!! Natalie Dormer On SETH!! Stephen Colbert On LETTERMAN!! Elizabeth Warren On THE DAILY SHOW!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 152 total posts 24 posts
Learn What’s Ahead
For GAME OF THRONES!! -- 41 total posts 19 posts
- 4th Week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: SORCERER, GET CARTER, PAWNBROKER, Slasher horror & more!!! -- 128 total posts 17 posts
- A thief will elude capture using interstellar teleportation in Doug Liman's RAILHEAD! -- 25 total posts 15 posts
- Tina Fey and Amy Poehler's THE NEST is now set to take on Luke Skywalker and friends in December 2015! -- 34 total posts 12 posts