Check Out This Interesting Article About The Casting Of Ben Affleck As Batman!!
[fan rendering via Robert Meyer Burnett]
I am, frankly, disappointed...although not entirely surprised...by the recent uproar surrounding Ben Affleck’s casting in Batman. If recent movie history has taught us anything, it’s that we shouldn’t be quick to judge an actor’s capabilities in a role until we’ve seen - and weighed - the final product they’re appearing in.
I vividly remember the ENORMOUSLY negative clamor surrounding Michael Keaton being cast as Bruce Wayne/Batman back in the 80s. Now he’s many people’s favorite Bat, and when word came that the character was going to play a part in Zack Snyder’s MAN OF STEEL sequel, there was no small portion of folks who immediately called for Keaton’s return.
Remember how many people hated the thought of Daniel Craig as James Bond? Remember the negativity surrounding Heath Ledger as the Joker in THE DARK KNIGHT (a role for which he won a posthumous Oscar)? Or Chris Evans as Captain America?
The list goes on.
YES - there have been cases of woeful miscasting throughout film history. But there have also been countless examples of inspired casting - which worked beyond many expectations, and even went on to become iconic. Will this be the case with Affleck as Batman/Bruce Wayne? I honestly have no idea...but I DO feel it’s a tad silly to get too uptight about his casting until we’ve at least seen what he has in store for us. There are, quite simply, too many illustrations of casting which has worked wonderfully - despite its face-value logic - to warrant too much pre-judgement in such matters.
With this said, I thought I’d call your attention to Borys Kit’s interesting article over at THR. It’s an interesting insight into some of the Behind-the-Scenes machinations which led to Affleck landing the role. I’ve pulled a few samples from the piece for discussion herein, but strongly encourage to glance over the whole shebang - which is HERE.
Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the process began earlier this year, after director Zack Snyder had finished working on Man of Steel with producer Christopher Nolan.
the studio approached other actors as well, including Josh Brolin. Ryan Gosling was also a possibility
The deal also potentially lines Affleck up to star in (and direct?) Warner Bros.' answer to The Avengers: The eventual Justice League movie.
So what you will about Ben Affleck - I have to think Gosling as BruceBat would’ve been far more problematic. But maybe that’s just me...
- Google +
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 147 total posts 17 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 40 total posts 11 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 19 total posts 11 posts
- The First Official BTS Shots From JURASSIC WORLD Are Here!! -- 78 total posts 10 posts
- Robert Downey Jr. seems to be tweeting a picture a day from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron... -- 111 total posts 10 posts
- Tom Hardy (as twins) and Emily Browning to star in Brian Helgeland's gangster flick, LEGEND! -- 17 total posts 8 posts
- Director Colin Trevorrow Talks The Bigger Picture Of JURASSIC WORLD!! -- 71 total posts 7 posts
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 398 total posts 6 posts
- "Where do you stand on Michael Buble?" "His windpipe?" Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon have more celebrity impressions up their sleeves in THE TRIP TO ITALY trailer! -- 28 total posts 6 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 343 total posts 6 posts