William Monahan to script, Peter Berg to direct and Mark Wahlberg to star in an adaptation of the true crime story, AMERICAN DESPERADO!!!
Hey Yo! Draven here.
Deadline is reporting that Paramount is developing a film based on the critically acclaimed true crime memoir, AMERICAN DESPERADO that was based on the life of COCAINE COWBOYS subject, Jon Roberts. Mark Wahlberg is attached to star, Peter Berg is going to direct and Oscar winning screenwriter, William Monahan just turned in his first draft of the script. Paramount wants this to be shooting early next year.
This has the potential to be a great crime drama. Both the 2006 documentary, COCAINE COWBOYS and the 2011 book AMERICAN DESPERADO were received very well. Not to mention the talent, this source material brings Monahan back to his DEPARTED success, Peter Berg can make a good movie when he has the material (I like FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS, THE RUNDOWN and THE KINGDOM) and Wahlberg should fit right into his character. This will also likely attract a lot of other very talented people. I have no doubts that Paramount wants this to happen soon but I hope they don’t try to rush it as there is huge potential here.
In 2008 veteran journalist Evan Wright, acclaimed for his New York Times bestselling book Generation Kill and co-writer of the Emmy-winning HBO series it spawned, began a series of conversations with super-criminal Jon Roberts, star of the fabulously successful documentary Cocaine Cowboys. Those conversations would last three years, during which time Wright came to realize that Roberts was much more than the de-facto “transportation chief” of the Medellin Cartel during the 1980s, much more than a facilitator of a national drug epidemic. As Wright’s tape recorder whirred and Roberts unburdened himself of hundreds of jaw-dropping tales, it became clear that perhaps no one in history had broken so many laws with such willful abandon.
Roberts, in fact, seemed to be a prodigy of criminality – but one with a remarkable self-awareness and a fierce desire to protect his son from following the same path.
American Desperado is Roberts’ no-holds-barred account of being born into Mafia royalty, witnessing his first murder at the age of seven, becoming a hunter-assassin in Vietnam, returning to New York to become -- at age 22 -- one of the city’s leading nightclub impresarios, then journeying to Miami where in a few short years he would rise to become the Medellin Cartel’s most effective smuggler.
But that’s just half the tale.
The roster of Roberts’ friends and acquaintances reads like a Who’s Who of the latter half of the 20th century and includes everyone from Jimi Hendrix, Richard Pryor, and O.J. Simpson to Carlo Gambino, Meyer Lansky, and Manuel Noriega.
Nothing if not colorful, Roberts surrounded himself with beautiful women, drove his souped-up street car at a top speed of 180 miles per hour, shared his bed with a 200-pound cougar, and employed a 6”6” professional wrestler called “The Thing” as his bodyguard. Ultimately, Roberts became so powerful that he attracted the attention of the Republican Party’s leadership, was wooed by them, and even was co-opted by the CIA for which he carried out its secret agenda.
Scrupulously documented and relentlessly propulsive, this collaboration between a bloodhound journalist and one of the most audacious criminals ever is like no other crime book you’ve ever read. Jon Roberts may be the only criminal who changed the course of American history.
Be sure to follow me on Twitter here!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 301 total posts 301 posts
- Robin Williams May Return As Mrs. Doubtfire! -- 200 total posts 151 posts
- Who wants to see one of GODZILLA's opponents from the new film!?! (In toy form) -- 294 total posts 134 posts
- Set photos from the set of STAR WARS EPISODE VII in Abu Dhabi?! What's that big round disc they're rolling around?? -- 259 total posts 100 posts
- Nordling Reviews TRANSCENDENCE! -- 99 total posts 99 posts
- Denzel Washington Walks In The Middle Of The Street In THE EQUALIZER Teaser Poster! -- 89 total posts 59 posts
- There's some cross-promotion going on in the credits of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2, and it's not hinting at what you think! -- 100 total posts 55 posts
- Re-Revised X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST Casting Re-Adds A Mutant!! -- 161 total posts 42 posts
- Some Wicked Cool Stills For The Upcoming BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT Game!! -- 189 total posts 41 posts
- Stallone Talks EXPENDABLES Casting Approach!! Nicholson!?!? -- 283 total posts 40 posts