What’s it called?
“She-Hulk: Attorney At Law.”
Longtime TV writer Jessica Gao ("Silicon Valley," “Rick and Morty”) serves as creator, head writer and showrunner.
The big news?
This is the first small-screen Marvel effort that’s better than most of the big-screen Marvel fare. It is very funny but not nearly as silly as its premise would lead you to believe.
Will Florida governor Ron “Don’t Say Gay” DeSantis like it?
Hey, Ron! She-Hulk’s best friend Nikki is a hilarious, piping-hot lesbian! And she’s being all lesbitastic on smallfry magnet Disney+! You should demand that Disney be banned from all Florida Internets! Because Florida preteens are already hearing “gay” too much in Disney’s new Thor movie and on daily broadcast repeats of “Modern Family”! To say nothing of “Game of Thrones” and “Euphoria”!
How does it start?
The first episode, which boasts plenty of screen time for Mark Ruffalo, concerns itself mostly with how Bruce Banner’s blood transformed his lawyer cousin, Jen Walters, into the title character. Spoiler alert: There is no transfusion involved.
What says Disney?
“In Marvel Studios’ ‘She-Hulk: Attorney at Law,’ Jennifer Walters (Tatiana Maslany) — an attorney specializing in superhuman-oriented legal cases — must navigate the complicated life of a single, 30-something who also happens to be a green 6-foot-7-inch superpowered hulk. The nine-episode comedy series welcomes a host of MCU vets, including Mark Ruffalo as Smart Hulk, Tim Roth as Emil Blonsky/the Abomination, and Benedict Wong as Wong, as well as Jameela Jamil, Josh Segarra, Ginger Gonzaga, Jon Bass and Renée Elise Goldsberry. .”
How much screen time does acrobatic lawyer Matt “Daredevil” Murdoch get?
I’ve only seen the first four episodes and I didn’t notice Charlie Cox in any of them. But he’s in the promos obviously.
Tatiana Maslany has gone from playing eight characters with one body to one character with two bodies. How is she handling that transition?
She is hilarious and sexy as both JW and SH, and her paralegal pal Nikki embodies the same qualities. Did they ever figure out why those evil scientists separated the identical octuplets at birth? Did Octomom’s kids dodge a bullet there?
* Tim Roth is so charming and charismatic as Emil “Abomination” Blonsky, I’m almost inclined to revisit his scenes from 2008’s “Incredible Hulk.” Surely he was not always this entertaining?
* The series makes hilarious use of Benedict Wong as a litigious sorcerer supreme. His storyline cleverly drags into Wong’s life a wonderfully addled party girl (Funny Or Die vet Patty Guggenheim) and a shoddy Criss Angel knockoff (“Entourage” icon Rhys Coiro) who, much to Wong’s annoyance, decides to employ real magic in his stage act.
* Like “Peacemaker” over on HBO Max, “She-Hulk” has little fear of wading deep into shared-universe continuity. Marvel fans will delight in an early episode that foreshadows what lies ahead for Bruce Banner on the big screen.
What’s not so great?
Fanboys will inevitably moan about all the uncanny valleys in the copious computer-generated imagery. My advice is to calm down and pretend you’re watching outtakes from “Space Jam.” Or something.
How about some fun facts, O Herc?
* Maslany’s real-life husband played Superian on Amazon’s “The Tick.” He also spent three seasons as Tim Roth’s sidekick on the Fox crime drama “Lie To Me.”
* Comedian Ginger Gonzaga, so great as the second lead Nikki, has appeared in a crazy number of TV shows over the last decade and had a small but memorable role as the Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez character on Steve Carell’s “Space Force.”
* Soon after Universal debuted “Six Million Dollar Man” spin-off “The Bionic Woman,” someone or something convinced Stan Lee that the same studio intended to create a female Hulk for a similar spin-off. Marvel didn’t want to share the rights to such a character with Universal, so in 1979 She-Hulk became one of the last Marvel superheroes Lee ever created. Forty-three years later, the Disney+ series marks She-Hulk’s live-action debut.
* While Jen Walters can grow to 6’7”, imprisoned basketball star Brittney Griner grew to 6’9” without the aid of gamma rays.
I warn you not to defy me!
I am – Hercules!!