Who's on Universal's short list to direct the sequel to SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN!?!
Hey Yo, Draven here.
We know that Universal is going to get a sequel to the 2012 hit, SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN made. We also know that due to some behind-the-scenes issues, original director, Rupert Sanders, will not be back to helm the sequel. So who is going to replace Sanders on SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN 2*? Well, a new report from Deadline suggests that Universal is focused on three possible directors. They are, Frank Darabont (THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION; THE GREEN MILE; THE MIST), Gavin O’Connor (MIRACLE; WARRIOR), and Andy Muschietti (MAMA).
To start, Darabont hasn’t made a film since THE MIST in 2007 and has focused his attention on television over the last few years with THE WALKING DEAD and MOB CITY. But he is no longer attached to THE WALKING DEAD, and MOB CITY was cancelled, so he seemingly has an open schedule. Would he really want to come back with a sequel to a live action fairy tale “reimagining” though? He probably has a lot of options so I don’t know, but whatever he decides to do next will be worth paying attention to.
Gavin O’Connor is currently finishing up the western, JANE GOT A GUN, after stepping in at the last minute. The only other thing he is attached to is a remake of the French film, TELL NO ONE but that seems to be moving forward very slowly (if at all). Most of his success has come from sports films, with WARRIOR and MIRACLE being two of the best over the last decade. He has a knack for getting incredible performances from his actors (most of the player roles in MIRACLE weren’t filled with trained actors but actual hockey players) but he has yet to direct anything on the scale of SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN.
The last name on the list is Andy Muschietti. It was reported last month, that despite Muschietti no longer being involved with Universal's MUMMY reboot, they were still looking for a high profile project to attach him to. A sequel to a film that cost $170 million just to produce and grossed almost $400 million worldwide, would fit that description perfectly. Even though he has the least amount of experience of the three, he did deliver Universal a decent sized hit with MAMA and he seems to have a bright future ahead of him. So I definitely wouldn't be shocked if he ended up getting this gig, but he is probably the riskiest choice.
Universal is hoping to get the film in theaters in 2016 so expect an announcement of a director and probably a release date soon.
*Hopefully, Universal will go the Indy route with this sequel and we'll get an awesome title like SNOW WHITE AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM or SNOW WHITE AND THE SCORN OF A MARRIED WOMAN.
Follow me on Twitter here!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Harry says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is better than German Chocolate Cake & means it!!! -- 468 total posts 148 posts
- At Long Last, Our First Trailer For MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!! Official Vid Of Comic-Con Reel!! -- 594 total posts 144 posts
- Watch Quickly!! Some Test Footage From Tim Miller And Ryan Reynolds’ DEADPOOL Movie!! -- 116 total posts 116 posts
- SDCC '14: First footage of Batman vs Superman screens!!! Now w/ hi-res look at Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman!! -- 758 total posts 93 posts
- THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES Trailer Has Arrived! -- 73 total posts 73 posts
- A Nifty Video Tour Of The Warner Bros Museum Commemorates BATMAN’s 75th Anniversary!! -- 61 total posts 61 posts
- A New Tease For DOCTOR WHO Season / Series 8!! -- 43 total posts 43 posts
- Our First Katniss-centric Trailer For THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY PART 1!! -- 33 total posts 33 posts
- The Girls Come Out To Play In Red-Band Comic Con Trailer For SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR! -- 33 total posts 33 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint runs down the AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON footage!!! -- 172 total posts 30 posts