Filed under "you're damn right it's 2014," Kevin Smith to direct Johnny Depp in YOGA HOSERS!!
Remember when we thought Johnny Depp was going to be working with Kevin Smith on TUSK? Well, to quote James Rebhorn in INDEPENDENCE DAY, that's not entirely inaccurate.
Smith and Depp will team up on the director's follow-up to TUSK, an action-comedy titled YOGA HOSERS. Allegedly "second installment of Smith’s True North Trilogy, movies which are steeped in Canadian myths and culture," YOGA HOSERS actually stars the daughters of Smith and Depp, Harley Quinn Smith and Lily-Rose Depp, respectively. The two play a pair of Canadian teenage girls/yoga aficionados who join forces with a Quebecois investigator named Guy LaPointe (Depp) to battle a threat to the earth, and, by extension, the older-kid party they've been invited to.
Interestingly enough, the character Depp is playing, Guy LaPointe, was who we thought was appearing as the fifth lead in TUSK. We haven't heard mum on whether Depp is actually in TUSK or not (though signs are pointing to "nay"), but the rest of that film's cast, including Michael Parks, Justin Long, and Haley Joel Osment, is expected to return for this one (along with newbies Tony Hale, Natasha Lyonne, and Adam Brody).
Depp and Smith's daughters go to school together, and Smith has repeatedly said that a collaboration between the two was far from out of the question. This seems like an oddball enough project for Depp to lend his highly-valued talents to, and the teen-centric premise is something that Smith hasn't really tackled up to this point (particularly the fact that the central duo are GIRLS!! *gasp*).
At the same time his public persona is becoming more widespread and cemented, his cinematic output is continually defying expectation, showing little-to-nothing of the camera-on-a-tripod, verbose writer-director that exploded on the scene with CLERKS 20 years ago. More than being excited by TUSK and YOGA HOSERS, I just plain don't know what to expect from them, and if that pays off as well as it did with RED STATE (at least for myself), then I couldn't be happier with this latest, brave chapter in Smith's career.
In Smith's own words:
"People always ask me ‘Are you ever going to make a comic book movie? This is it - but instead of yet another dude saving the day, our antiheroes are the most feared and formidable creatures man has ever encountered: two fifteen year old girls."
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 253 total posts 152 posts
- The GODZILLA Sequel Has A Writer!! -- 139 total posts 139 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 254 total posts 117 posts
- DOCTOR WHO S08E05 ‘Time Heist’ Reader Reaction Begins Now!! + HornOrSilk’s ‘Domain Of The Voord’ Big Finish Audio Review, Synopses For Upcoming S8 Eps, And More!! UPDATE RE: UPCOMING UK TIME CHANGE!! -- 84 total posts 84 posts
- Quint is surprisingly quite fond of Kevin Smith's TUSK! Fantastic Fest 2014! -- 72 total posts 72 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 151 total posts 60 posts
- Guy Ritchie brings a mermaid onto land to play his Guinevere in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR! -- 113 total posts 57 posts
- Gaze Upon the Trailer for Tim Burton's BIG EYES! -- 42 total posts 42 posts
- Muldoon Happily Gets Lost in THE MAZE RUNNER! -- 67 total posts 39 posts
- Here’s A Video Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII’s Millennium Falcon, Highlighting One Little Detail… -- 449 total posts 38 posts