Is Johnny Depp playing a crucial supporting character in Kevin Smith's TUSK?!!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Back in December, Kevin Smith said that TUSK wasn't going to be ready in time for his original intended premiere at Sundance. The reason he gave was that the actor signed to play the "fifth Beatle" of the film, investigator Guy Lapointe, wasn't available to film his scenes (which only required two days of shooting time) until only a couple of weeks before the festival. He has yet to confirm who the actor is, aside from this tweet implying that whoever he signed for the role is a big-name actor (I mean, he refers to it as the highlight of his career).
You know who it sounds like he got for Guy Lapointe? JOHNNY DEPP.
1. The online resume of Johnny Depp's longtime makeup artist, Joel Harlow, had TUSK listed as his latest project. The page has since been edited.
2. The revelation by VideoETA that Depp and Smith know each other personally. At one point, both their daughters went to the same school, and the two have apparently hosted charity events together. This doesn't necessarily suggest that he'd act in one of Smith's films, but it certainly establishes a connection between the two.
3. Depp's latest film, MORTDECAI, was scheduled to wrap around the time that Smith claimed he was scheduled to have his Guy Lapointe on set. The mid-January wrap date is a little past the "late December/early January" that Smith originally announced, but it's possible Depp's stuff for MORTDECAI was finished earlier.
4. One of TUSK's production companies, Demarest Films, has done three films featuring Amber Heard (PARANOIA, MACHETE KILLS, and the upcoming LONDON FIELDS which also features Depp). For those who don't follow the gossip rags, Ms. Heard is currently Mr. Depp's fiancee.
5. Last, but certainly not least. Justin Long did an interview with Long Island Newsday where he answered the question, "Are you working on any other movies right now?" like so:
Yeah, the one where a man turns into a war horse. It's called "TUSK." Johnny Depp is in that one. I'm working on something coming up later.
Assuming that the interviewer mistranscribed "war horse" for "walrus," this not only confirms that he's in the movie, but also that he's featured prominently enough to warrant Long's mentioning of him. Other than that, it could be surmised that Depp's involvement, if true, would be limited to a cameo appearance, but I don't think Long would give away a special appearance like that, all nonchalant-like. It's not like back in '04, Ben Affleck would be all like (*spoiler alert*) "Yeah, I'm in JERSEY GIRL, it's awesome, Will Smith is in it," right?
If Depp is confirmed to be featured in a prominent supporting role in this film, that means it has a huge marketing secret weapon that Smith has been very slick about keeping under wraps. A Kevin Smith horror-comedy hybrid about a psycho with a walrus obsession featuring Justin Long, Michael Parks, and Haley Joel Osment is one thing. Add Johnny Depp as the investigator assigned with hunting down said psycho, and it becomes another thing entirely. Something that's all but assured to make it to at least a few hundred theaters based on name value alone (and perhaps a thousand or so more if Smith's got a particularly awesome gem on his hands).
TUSK still doesn't have a release date, but I'll bet we'll be getting some info on that and this casting story fairly soon.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Is this our first look at The Thing from Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR reboot!?! -- 118 total posts 103 posts
- "The walrus is far more evolved than any man I've ever known...present company included." Trailer for Kevin Smith's TUSK has arrived! -- 59 total posts 50 posts
- SDCC '14: James Gunn to write and direct the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY sequel!! -- 91 total posts 39 posts
- Capone believes HERCULES does a Rock-solid job demystifying and reinforcing the myth!!! -- 32 total posts 32 posts
- UPDATED! Has Marvel's DOCTOR STRANGE Casting Search Gone To Phoenix? -- 268 total posts 30 posts
- Footage of discarded concept art, interviews with Tim Burton and Kevin Smith, and Nicolas Cage in flight in this trailer for THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN LIVES! -- 121 total posts 25 posts
- Patrick Wilson drops out of ANT-MAN!! -- 107 total posts 19 posts
- Learn Which STAR TREK Icon Joins GAME OF THRONES Next Season!! (Hint: Not Nimoy!!) -- 14 total posts 14 posts
- The Guy Who Directed CAPTAIN AMERICA And The Guys Who Directed CAPTAIN AMERICA II Are Directing Episodes Of Marvel’s New ABC Series AGENT CARTER!! -- 26 total posts 14 posts
- Capone can't decide if Luc Besson's LUCY is a dumb movie about smart people or a smart movie about dumb people. Whatever it is, he still mostly digs it!!! -- 14 total posts 14 posts