Live in Chicago? Want to see MOTHER'S DAY on Mother's Day, with director Darren Lynn Bousman Q&A? Capone has the details!!!
Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.
This particular screening feels like the culmination of about a year and a half of following and later supporting this film--from a set visit I did in late 2009 to what I believe was the first review anywhere in May 2010 for it to introducing an audience at Fantastic Fest to it last September. The film is Darren Lynn Bousman's substantial reworking of the Troma classic MOTHER'S DAY. Fresh off the cult success (and, to a degree, commercial success) of REPO! THE GENETIC OPERA (as well as SAWs II, III, and IV), Bousman's take on MOTHER'S DAY is clearly far more serious and much less campy than Charles Kaufman's 1980 original. It's also pungently brutal and bloody, and loaded with horrific and suspenseful drama.
This new version stars Jaime King (SIN CITY, PEARL HARBOR, BLOW, MY BLOODY VALENTINE 3-D), Patrick Flueger (BROTHERS), Brianna Evigan (SORORITY ROW), Shawn Ashmore (FROZEN), Alex Vega (REPO!, the SPY KIDS movies), Matt O'Leary (SORORITY ROW, HAVOC), and the still-stunning Rebecca De Mornay (RISKY BUSINESS, THE HAND THAT ROCKS THE CRADLE) as Mother. While I'm thinking of it, I should point you in the direction of Harry's very positive review of MOTHER'S DAY as well.
Bousman and I have been talking about showing MOTHER'S DAY to a Chicago audience for about a year. He's been working out distribution details for it, as well as directing his follow-up feature, 11-11-11, so this has literally been the first chance we've gotten to really pull this together. And, oh, by the way, it's happening during the first two hours of Mother's Day, in less than two weeks. If what I'm hearing is true, MOTHER'S DAY is not being released until October, but there's no way we could let the actual Mother's Day pass without something truly demented happening with this movie. And to make this very special screening event all the more special, director Darren Lynn Bousman will be on hand to talk about the film, along with some of the film's producers and maybe a surprise or two.
This free screening of MOTHER'S DAY is happening at 11:59pm, Saturday, May 7 at the Music Box Theatre, 3733 N. Southport Ave. in Chicago. There are two ways to get into this screening, so read very carefully. No matter how you choose to get into the screening, your name has to on a list. If you go to the Music Box Theatre's MOTHER'S DAY RSVP page, you can sign up. Once you do that, you'll get a confirmation email that does not guarantee you entrance. Only the first 500 people in line with an RSVP the evening of the screening will get in; so get there early.
And then there's my list. I have 100 VIP seats (for 50 winners plus one guest each) exclusively for AICN readers, and if you are selected, your seat will be held until 15 minutes before showtime. I still recommend you get there early; and no whining if you show up 10 minutes before showtime and all the seats are gone. Here's how you win the AICN tickets:
Send me an email at MothersDayChicago@aintitcoolmail.com (please note the new email address) with the subject line "Never Forget Your Mama!". In the body of the email, I need your Name, whether or not you're bringing a Guest (guests' names are not required), and the answer to the following question (read carefully): "Who is your favorite Mother character in film history, and why?" I'm really looking for your favorite sadistic mother character, but if you can make a strong case for another kind, go for it. Keep your responses BRIEF--limit it to 75 words for each answer (no matter how tempted you are to go over the limit). People with the most interesting and original answers win, and will hear from me over the weekend.
Although seats will be held for AICN winners, the screening will be overbooked to make sure there is a full house for our guests. So you should still arrive early to make sure you get in and get a good seat. If there's even the slightest chance you or your guest will have to back out of attending if you do win, don't enter. If you have a job that might make you late or unable to attend, or an ill/pregnant relative, or a temperamental significant other, or a scratchy throat, do not enter.
Anyone not showing up without informing me 24 hours ahead of time so I can fill their seats runs the risk of being no longer eligible for future screening contests.
Good luck, everyone! And thanks to Darren Lynn Bousman for bringing MOTHER'S DAY to Chicago on Mother's Day. For more information on the screening, head to the Music Box Theatre's blog
Follow Me On Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
April 25, 2011, 11:27 p.m. CST
Jesus dude, you read one bad review, and you say "Stay away"? You're worse than Rotten Tomatoes.
April 26, 2011, 12:08 a.m. CST
gawd that trailer still freaking me out months later
April 26, 2011, 12:09 a.m. CST
...is the guy who produces/engineers most of "Between The Buried And Me's" albums...
April 26, 2011, 2:51 a.m. CST
From last month, when MOTHER'S DAY got a preview showing in the UK.
sounds good. decided to give it a try.
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 685 total posts 62 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 406 total posts 40 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 43 total posts 26 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 360 total posts 25 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 212 total posts 21 posts
- A New Clip From STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 13 total posts 13 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 360 total posts 13 posts
- Fantastic Fest 2014 Trailer Wave Part 2! -- 18 total posts 10 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 318 total posts 9 posts