Emily Blunt to hunt down drug lords in Denis Villeneuve's SICARIO!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
Denis Villeneuve got two movies in theaters within 6 months of one another. The first, PRISONERS, was ignored by the Academy, but made a nice little chunk of change on its $46 million budget. The second one, ENEMY, just started its platform release rollout a couple weeks ago, but has already gotten strong reviews for its complex narrative and Jake Gyllenhaal's lead performance(s). He's got an Amy Adams sci-fi flick entitled STORY OF THE YEAR in the pipeline, about a linguist's attempts to communicate with an E.T. But before he gets going on that, Villeneuve will tell the story of a Tuscon, AZ police officer who treks to Mexico to hunt down a drug kingpin. The flick's called SICARIO (spanish for "hit-woman"), and he's got his leading lady lined up, Golden Globe-winner Emily Blunt.
LOOPER proved that Blunt, appropriately enough considering her name, can have a tough, abrasive presence despite her typically glamorous good looks. I like the idea of a gender-reversed PRISONERS with her getting wild-eyed and deranged in the Hugh Jackman role as she hunts down this south-of-the-border baddie. There are apparently some crucial mercenary characters (who accompany Blunt's cop to Mexico), and I'm hoping Villeneuve does whatever magic he did with the PRISONERS casting sessions, and lands some awesome actors for those roles.
SONS OF ANARCHY/VERONICA MARS actor Taylor Shedian wrote the script (his first produced feature), but I'm already getting a sense of style from the amalgamation of "BLUNT, VILLENEUVE, DRUG WAR, MEXICO". Sounds like a good time at the movies to me.
SICARIO is set to shoot this summer, so expect to see it in theaters sometime in 2015.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- SDCC '14: Another snap of Batfleck from BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 287 total posts 59 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 234 total posts 49 posts
- "This is a classic alternate reality situation...like FRINGE!" Get wet with the red-band trailer for HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 2! -- 91 total posts 38 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint talks about the surprisingly good 5-ish minutes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shown at the Con! -- 38 total posts 38 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 281 total posts 34 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen the new Interstellar trailer! Plus The Rock and Spongebob stuff! -- 17 total posts 17 posts
- The Bat Cowl from BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is in the hall! -- 287 total posts 12 posts
- There's a new awesome filming location for STAR WARS 7!!! -- 243 total posts 10 posts
- Check Out this New Poster for HORNS! -- 34 total posts 7 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint reports in on the panel of The Giver! Footage! Jeff Bridges Q&A! -- 14 total posts 5 posts