Is one of these guys ready to play Dr. Victor Von Doom in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
We have our FANTASTIC FOUR, and now, our attention is turned squarely toward who Josh Trank is looking at for their legendary nemesis, Doctor Doom. The Wrap's Jeff Sneider has brought forward a short list of names that are allegedly being considered to play Trank's Victor Von Doom, and they all fall into a particular mold. Sam Riley (ON THE ROAD), Eddie Redmayne (LES MISERABLES), Toby Kebbell (ROCKNROLLA), and Domhnall Gleeson (ABOUT TIME) are all from the U.K. and are in their early-to-mid-30s, so no matter what happens, we have kind of a general idea of what to expect when the role is eventually cast.
Kebbell or Riley are probably the more obvious choices for the role, due to their dark looks and morally-ambiguous screen personas, but Redmayne had a terrifying turn as a handsome psychopath in HICK that shows he'd make a great wolf-in-sheep's-clothing. I haven't seen anything from Gleeson that indicated he'd make a great, atmospheric screen villain, but he's popping up in increasingly varied roles every year, so I'm thinking there's a side to him that we haven't seen yet onscreen. Sneider mentions that Jack Huston was rumored for the role, but is out of contention, and he's another guy I could see effortlessly donning yet another mask (ah, Harrow…) for the role.
Overall, I'd have to say I'm impressed with the list of talent they've come up with the face off against the FF, and this list seems way more fan-friendly than the unbelievably contended lineup they pulled together for the leads. Seeing as Julian McMahon's Doom was one of the weakest elements of Tim Story's abysmal FF movies (perhaps more due to the fault of the screenwriters than McMahon himself), I'm really hoping they are able to get it together to truly nail one of the most nefarious supervillains in the Marvel pantheon this time around.
Watch Sneider's "What's The Deal?" where he discusses the shortlist below.
What do you guys think? Does one of these guys have what it takes to play the most famous Latverian megalomaniac of all time?
FANTASTIC FOUR begins clobberin' time on June 19th, 2015.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- The New Trailer For THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY PART 1 Hints That The Movie Is Freakin’ Huge!! -- 250 total posts 250 posts
- 2nd Sept 2014 PICKS & PEEKS Column: CAP 2, Pumpkinhead, Toho, Addams, Star Trek, Slashers, Comedy & Action+ -- 1747 total posts 222 posts
- Check out this MASSIVE new HOBBIT: BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES banner!! -- 149 total posts 149 posts
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 104 total posts 104 posts
- Hold off, Aaron Cross: Matt Damon's back as Jason Bourne! -- 97 total posts 97 posts
- Here come a remake that will really make you feel old - Sony is fast tracking a remake to I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER! -- 76 total posts 75 posts
- Looks like they got the right Mann to play Audrey Griswald in the VACATION update! -- 75 total posts 75 posts
- A New Promo For STAR WARS REBELS Brings Action And Character Intros!! -- 68 total posts 68 posts
- Look Upon The Bizarre, Horrible, And Possibly Awesome Insanity Of This DEAD SNOW 2 Trailer!! -- 49 total posts 49 posts
- Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett to take on I SAW THE DEVIL REMAKE!!!!!!!! -- 40 total posts 40 posts