Now who does Warner Bros want to direct their adaptation of THE STAND!?!?
Hey Yo, Draven here.
We just heard a few days ago, that Scott Cooper was not going to direct the long gestating film adaptation of Stephen King’s novel, THE STAND. This was after Ben Affleck left the project in August, Warner Brothers has been trying to get this going for years but doesn’t seem to know how they want to proceed with it. Is it going to be multiple films? Is it going to be an R-rated blockbuster? How big should the budget be? We have heard conflicting rumors about all of those things over the years.
WB isn’t slowing down though, as according to Devin Faraci over at Badass Digest, (who was right on the money with his STAR WARS release date scoop) they have a wish list of directors they want to get for this film and at the top is Paul Greengrass.
Hopefully though, they finally know how they want to proceed with this property and have a plan, because if not I don’t think a great and in-demand director like Greengrass will have any interest. Devin has this great bit at the end of his report that I am inclined to agree with, “How many directors have to fall off before they end up going to some middle-of-the-road schmuck who will just get the thing done on time and on budget?”
Greengrass is probably going to get another Best Director nomination for CAPTAIN PHILLIPS, and will be in high demand for a lot of projects. He is an excellent director and I think if he was given the freedom he would make a great adaptation of THE STAND.
This is a long way from being a done deal but if they get somebody with Greengrass’ talent, I hope they also give that person the freedom to complete the film in their own way. It should be a multi-film adaptation though and while the miniseries wasn’t bad, it is really dated and obviously did not have the budget of a big tentpole film.
Here is Amazon's description of the novel for those of you who have not read it:
This is the way the world ends: with a nanosecond of computer error in a Defense Department laboratory and a million casual contacts that form the links in a chain letter of death.
And here is the bleak new world of the day after: a world stripped of its institutions and emptied of 99 percent of its people. A world in which a handful of panicky survivors choose sides -- or are chosen. A world in which good rides on the frail shoulders of the 108-year-old Mother Abigail -- and the worst nightmares of evil are embodied in a man with a lethal smile and unspeakable powers: Randall Flagg, the dark man.
What do you guys think? Is Greengrass a good option? Who would you like to see tackle this project?
Follow me on Twitter here!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 258 total posts 144 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 263 total posts 108 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 176 total posts 98 posts
- New Poster for OPEN WINDOWS! -- 87 total posts 87 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 56 total posts 56 posts
- This Trailer For The New SHAUN THE SHEEP Movie Doesn’t Look Too Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!! -- 49 total posts 49 posts
- Co-Director Anthony Russo Is Teasing, What, Exactly, Regarding CAPTAIN AMERICA 3?? -- 234 total posts 37 posts
- AICN HORROR looks at EXTRATERRESTRIAL! SAVAGELAND! REVELATION TRAIL! THE POSESSION OF MICHAEL KING! THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE! SLOPPY THE PSYCHOTIC! MY FAIR ZOMBIE! THE FORBIDDEN GIRL! MOEBIUS! TWILIGHT ZONE 1985! SUFFER THE CHILDREN Book Review! & cast your vote for PRESIDENT WOLFMAN! -- 36 total posts 36 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 137 total posts 35 posts
-- 58 total posts 28 posts