Learn Who Will Next Take The SNL Weekend Update Chair That Once Seated Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, Christopher Guest, Dennis Miller, Norm Macdonald, Jimmy Fallon And Tina Fey!!
On Sept. 28 Cecily Strong (no relation) will begin co-hosting “Weekend Update” alongside Seth Meyers, who will be departing “Saturday Night Live” in February to replace Jimmy Fallon as the host of “Late Night.”
The piping hot Strong only joined the cast last year and was still billed as a “featured player” when SNL’s last new episode aired last May.
Presumably she’ll be promoted to “starring” status when the show returns in two weeks.
Series mastermind Lorne Michaels suggests Strong will become sole anchor after Meyers departs.
The last female to host Update solo was Jane Curtain, who held down the desk alone during parts of 1976 and 1977.
While Meyers won’t leave the show until early next year, longtime cast members Bill Hader, Fred Armisen and Jason Sudeikis quit the SNL cast over the summer, and Kristen Wiig quit last year.
Six new players will join the SNL cast this fall, among them Upright Citizens Brigade vets Noell Wells, John Milhiser, Kyle Mooney and Beck Bennett, as well as Los Angeles-based comedian Brooks Wheelan.
Cast member Tim Robinson will transition from cast member to writer starting this fall -- while Mike O’Brien, an SNL writer since 2009, will assume a regular on-camera role.
The first three SNL hosts of the coming season:
Sept. 28: Tina Fey (with musical guest Arcade Fire)
Oct. 5: Miley Cyrus (with musical guest Miley Cyrus)
Oct. 12: Bruce Willis (with musical guest Katy Perry)
SNL is the highest-rated scripted show – in primetime or late night – on NBC, and routinely outrates the overwhelming majority of primetime and late night series on the other broadcast networks.
Find all of Bill Carter’s New York Times story on the matter here.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 155 total posts 55 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 162 total posts 25 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 110 total posts 19 posts
- Guy Ritchie brings a mermaid onto land to play his Guinevere in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR! -- 75 total posts 19 posts
- Here’s A Video Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII’s Millennium Falcon, Highlighting One Little Detail… -- 420 total posts 9 posts
- Another New (And Rather Cool) INTERSTELLAR Poster!! -- 203 total posts 8 posts
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 166 total posts 7 posts
- Muldoon Happily Gets Lost in THE MAZE RUNNER! -- 34 total posts 6 posts
- This Poster For INSIDIOUS CHAPTER 3 Is Creepy And Requires Reading!! -- 65 total posts 5 posts
- Timur Bekmambetov Finds His Ben-Hur For, Well, BEN-HUR!! -- 294 total posts 4 posts