Learn Who Will Next Take The SNL Weekend Update Chair That Once Seated Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, Christopher Guest, Dennis Miller, Norm Macdonald, Jimmy Fallon And Tina Fey!!
On Sept. 28 Cecily Strong (no relation) will begin co-hosting “Weekend Update” alongside Seth Meyers, who will be departing “Saturday Night Live” in February to replace Jimmy Fallon as the host of “Late Night.”
The piping hot Strong only joined the cast last year and was still billed as a “featured player” when SNL’s last new episode aired last May.
Presumably she’ll be promoted to “starring” status when the show returns in two weeks.
Series mastermind Lorne Michaels suggests Strong will become sole anchor after Meyers departs.
The last female to host Update solo was Jane Curtain, who held down the desk alone during parts of 1976 and 1977.
While Meyers won’t leave the show until early next year, longtime cast members Bill Hader, Fred Armisen and Jason Sudeikis quit the SNL cast over the summer, and Kristen Wiig quit last year.
Six new players will join the SNL cast this fall, among them Upright Citizens Brigade vets Noell Wells, John Milhiser, Kyle Mooney and Beck Bennett, as well as Los Angeles-based comedian Brooks Wheelan.
Cast member Tim Robinson will transition from cast member to writer starting this fall -- while Mike O’Brien, an SNL writer since 2009, will assume a regular on-camera role.
The first three SNL hosts of the coming season:
Sept. 28: Tina Fey (with musical guest Arcade Fire)
Oct. 5: Miley Cyrus (with musical guest Miley Cyrus)
Oct. 12: Bruce Willis (with musical guest Katy Perry)
SNL is the highest-rated scripted show – in primetime or late night – on NBC, and routinely outrates the overwhelming majority of primetime and late night series on the other broadcast networks.
Find all of Bill Carter’s New York Times story on the matter here.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 174 total posts 60 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 201 total posts 46 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 102 total posts 24 posts
- Co-Director Anthony Russo Is Teasing, What, Exactly, Regarding CAPTAIN AMERICA 3?? -- 212 total posts 15 posts
2012-2014 -- 42 total posts 12 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 110 total posts 8 posts
- Here’s BBC’s Synopsis Of DOCTOR WHO S08E03: “Robots of Sherwood’ !! -- 63 total posts 7 posts
- Martin Scorsese May Make A Film About One Of America's Greatest Bands! Gabba Gabba Hey! -- 224 total posts 7 posts
- Simon Pegg's gonna set you on fire in this poster for KILL ME THREE TIMES! -- 20 total posts 6 posts
- Jeff Bridges’ Long Delayed SEVENTH SON Gets A Trailer, A Poster, And February!! -- 82 total posts 5 posts