HORRIBLE BOSSES 2 has a director, and it's THAT'S MY BOY's Sean Anders!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
We've known for almost a month that HORRIBLE BOSSES director Seth Gordon was NOT coming back for a second go-around with the film's three central working stiffs. Now, we got news from Hollywood Reporter that New Line has found their new director in SEX DRIVE and THAT'S MY BOY helmer Sean Anders. Anders will also co-write the film with partner John Morris (the pair's work includes SHE'S OUT OF MY LEAGUE, HOT TUB TIME MACHINE, and the current draft of DUMB AND DUMBER TO), re-writing the script by original scribes John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein. For returning players, we got Charlie Day, the Jasons Bateman and Sudeikis, and Jamie Foxx all lined up to return; no word yet on who the bosses will be, or even whether Kevin Spacey or Jennifer Aniston will be making appearances (sadly, I think it's safe to say we won't be seeing Colin Farrell or his combover this time around).
I was watching the first film on TV last night, and I was struck with how loose and chemistry-based the humor is for a studio comedy with such a high-concept premise. Obviously, it reeks of HANGOVER wannabe-ism, but the three leads had a relaxed, funny interplay that is elevated by the three scenery-chewing boss performances. I'm not dying to see these three funny, handsome white dudes running around and suffering logic lapses again (and, apparently, neither does Seth Gordon), but if they can top the "A-listers run wild" kicker of the last one, I'll probably check this out when it eventually comes to theaters. And they got Foxx to come back as Dean "Motherfucker" Jones ("I can't walk around this fuckin' neigborhood with that Disney-ass name!"), which is definitely a good thing.
Re: Anders previous work, it's nothing to get too excited about, but he doesn't have a tin ear for comedy or anything. Considering how my favorite moments in THAT'S MY BOY all belong to Will Forte, I hope that Anders finds a role in there for him somewhere.
HORRIBLE BOSSES 2 will probably have to start shooting soon if they wanna meet the original's mid-summer release date next year. If not, I could see it as a Fall/Winter '14 release.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Quint sits down with Frank Miller to talk a little about Sin City: A Dame To Kill For! -- 87 total posts 44 posts
- Is Tarantino about to make Jennifer Lawrence one of THE HATEFUL EIGHT!?! -- 117 total posts 39 posts
- Shane Black to bring Remo Williams back to the big screen in THE DESTROYER! -- 172 total posts 39 posts
- Trailer for Gregg Araki's WHITE BIRD IN A BLIZZARD, Starring Shailene Woodley and Eva Green! -- 31 total posts 25 posts
- Harry Potter spinoff FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM to be directed by someone...who's directed Harry Potter movies! -- 105 total posts 17 posts
- Superman gets a new costume for BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 298 total posts 17 posts
- Trailer for NIGHTCRAWLER! "If it bleeds, it leads!" -- 59 total posts 15 posts
- So, What Is This BATMAN v SUPERMAN Prop Newspaper Showing Us?? [MILD SPOILER] -- 176 total posts 10 posts
- August Picks & Peeks 2014 Catch Up: DePalma, Jarmusch, Corman, Cuaron, Arau, Cosmotos, Brass, Huston + more! -- 343 total posts 10 posts
- Showtime Renews MASTERS OF SEX And RAY DONOVAN For Third Seasons!! -- 36 total posts 6 posts