Philip Seymour Hoffman drops out of CHILD 44 (awwww), and is replaced by Vincent Cassel (yeah!!)!!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
CHILD 44 has lost a Hoffman (Philip Seymour, not Dustin), and gained a Cassel (Vincent, not Seymour).
I was super-stoked about Philip Seymour Hoffman's role in Daniel Espinosa's upcoming flick, which I speculated might've been that of the central killer that Tom Hardy and Noomi Rapace are hunting down in 1950's Soviet Russia. According to Deadline, Hoffman's dropped out of the project for undisclosed reasons (scheduling perhaps?), which would be a massive bummer in most circumstances, but the production has found a more-than-suitable replacement in Vincent Cassel.
Presuming that Hoffman/Cassel's role is that of the child murdering villain, I can't say this is a huge loss for this film. While Cassel is more typically known for his nefarious roles than Hoffman (although one shouldn't forget his turns in M:I-3 and PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE), he has carved out a delicious little niche for himself by playing oddly charming psychopaths in movies like EASTERN PROMISES, A DANGEROUS METHOD, and the MESRINE films. He can play good guys as well, but his shifty eyes, his intense complexion, and that epic nose lend themselves to characters that plumb the darker recesses of human nature, and Cassel's acting does a great job of straddling the line between wounded humanity and sick, warped aggression. You can accuse him of being over-the-top, but I'm a fan of his ability to make lasting impressions with his intense work, even in really small doses.
Aside from Hardy and Rapace, the cast he's joining up also includes Gary Oldman, Joel Kinnaman, and Paddy Considine. With a lesser actor stepping in to Hoffman's role, this development could've been a detriment to the production, but any movie that casts Cassel has made a smart call, in my estimation.
CHILD 44 is currently shooting, aiming for a release date sometime in 2014.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 297 total posts 147 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 383 total posts 102 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 280 total posts 34 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 26 total posts 26 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 243 total posts 23 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 586 total posts 20 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 210 total posts 20 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 12 total posts 12 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 203 total posts 10 posts
- 3rd week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: Welles,Wilder,Svankmajer, Mann,Jeong, Sirk,Trier & more!!! -- 153 total posts 7 posts