Philip Seymour Hoffman drops out of CHILD 44 (awwww), and is replaced by Vincent Cassel (yeah!!)!!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
CHILD 44 has lost a Hoffman (Philip Seymour, not Dustin), and gained a Cassel (Vincent, not Seymour).
I was super-stoked about Philip Seymour Hoffman's role in Daniel Espinosa's upcoming flick, which I speculated might've been that of the central killer that Tom Hardy and Noomi Rapace are hunting down in 1950's Soviet Russia. According to Deadline, Hoffman's dropped out of the project for undisclosed reasons (scheduling perhaps?), which would be a massive bummer in most circumstances, but the production has found a more-than-suitable replacement in Vincent Cassel.
Presuming that Hoffman/Cassel's role is that of the child murdering villain, I can't say this is a huge loss for this film. While Cassel is more typically known for his nefarious roles than Hoffman (although one shouldn't forget his turns in M:I-3 and PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE), he has carved out a delicious little niche for himself by playing oddly charming psychopaths in movies like EASTERN PROMISES, A DANGEROUS METHOD, and the MESRINE films. He can play good guys as well, but his shifty eyes, his intense complexion, and that epic nose lend themselves to characters that plumb the darker recesses of human nature, and Cassel's acting does a great job of straddling the line between wounded humanity and sick, warped aggression. You can accuse him of being over-the-top, but I'm a fan of his ability to make lasting impressions with his intense work, even in really small doses.
Aside from Hardy and Rapace, the cast he's joining up also includes Gary Oldman, Joel Kinnaman, and Paddy Considine. With a lesser actor stepping in to Hoffman's role, this development could've been a detriment to the production, but any movie that casts Cassel has made a smart call, in my estimation.
CHILD 44 is currently shooting, aiming for a release date sometime in 2014.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS, OUT OF THE FURNACE, FROZEN, NEBRASKA And The Latest WALKING DEAD And RETURNED, The First Big-Screen Wonder Woman and More!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 459 total posts 312 posts
- Disney can now make new Indiana Jones Movies!!! But what about Paramount? -- 404 total posts 35 posts
- The Annual Official Fake BUTT-NUMB-A-THON 15 List!!! Plus other things like STANDBY news! -- 130 total posts 16 posts
- Big SPOILERS for X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and APOCALYPSE as new rumors suggest a familiar face will be playing the role of APOCALYPSE!! -- 365 total posts 14 posts
- Penultimate HOMELAND!! New BURGERS, SIMPSONS, GUY, DAD, MENTALIST, ONCE, REVENGE, BETRAYAL, TREME & SEX!! Mandela On 60 MINUTES!! AMAZING RACE Finale!! Last MENTALIST Of 2013!! BONNIE & CLYDE Premiere!! Herc's Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 12 total posts 12 posts
- Jerry Bruckheimer has returned to Paramount and Brett Ratner's BEVERLY HILLS COP IV is now on the way (again)! -- 185 total posts 9 posts
- SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES Writers Developing New TERMINATOR TV Series!! -- 85 total posts 7 posts
- Fox To Dabble In Shared X-MEN / FF Movieverse!?!? -- 204 total posts 6 posts
- Lars Von Trier's NYMPHOMANIAC Gets Two Release Dates! -- 57 total posts 5 posts
- Two More NYMPHOMANIAC Posters... -- 85 total posts 4 posts