Philip Seymour Hoffman drops out of CHILD 44 (awwww), and is replaced by Vincent Cassel (yeah!!)!!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
CHILD 44 has lost a Hoffman (Philip Seymour, not Dustin), and gained a Cassel (Vincent, not Seymour).
I was super-stoked about Philip Seymour Hoffman's role in Daniel Espinosa's upcoming flick, which I speculated might've been that of the central killer that Tom Hardy and Noomi Rapace are hunting down in 1950's Soviet Russia. According to Deadline, Hoffman's dropped out of the project for undisclosed reasons (scheduling perhaps?), which would be a massive bummer in most circumstances, but the production has found a more-than-suitable replacement in Vincent Cassel.
Presuming that Hoffman/Cassel's role is that of the child murdering villain, I can't say this is a huge loss for this film. While Cassel is more typically known for his nefarious roles than Hoffman (although one shouldn't forget his turns in M:I-3 and PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE), he has carved out a delicious little niche for himself by playing oddly charming psychopaths in movies like EASTERN PROMISES, A DANGEROUS METHOD, and the MESRINE films. He can play good guys as well, but his shifty eyes, his intense complexion, and that epic nose lend themselves to characters that plumb the darker recesses of human nature, and Cassel's acting does a great job of straddling the line between wounded humanity and sick, warped aggression. You can accuse him of being over-the-top, but I'm a fan of his ability to make lasting impressions with his intense work, even in really small doses.
Aside from Hardy and Rapace, the cast he's joining up also includes Gary Oldman, Joel Kinnaman, and Paddy Considine. With a lesser actor stepping in to Hoffman's role, this development could've been a detriment to the production, but any movie that casts Cassel has made a smart call, in my estimation.
CHILD 44 is currently shooting, aiming for a release date sometime in 2014.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 391 total posts 54 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 151 total posts 21 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 27 total posts 19 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 47 total posts 18 posts
- Tom Hardy (as twins) and Emily Browning to star in Brian Helgeland's gangster flick, LEGEND! -- 25 total posts 16 posts
- The First Official BTS Shots From JURASSIC WORLD Are Here!! -- 82 total posts 14 posts
- "Where do you stand on Michael Buble?" "His windpipe?" Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon have more celebrity impressions up their sleeves in THE TRIP TO ITALY trailer! -- 36 total posts 14 posts
- Robert Downey Jr. seems to be tweeting a picture a day from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron... -- 112 total posts 11 posts
- Check Out the Trailer for EJECTA - From PONTYPOOL Scribe Tony Burgess! -- 17 total posts 10 posts
- Mowgli to have friends like Scarlett Johansson and Lupita Nyong'o in Jon Favreau's JUNGLE BOOK! -- 44 total posts 8 posts