Philip Seymour Hoffman gets on the wagon with a vengeance and joins Hardy, Rapace, and Oldman in CHILD 44!!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
I love Philip Seymour Hoffman's work; I mean who doesn't? He's been in all but one of Paul Thomas Anderson's movies, and from his cocky prick in HARD EIGHT, his sad-sack sound guy in BOOGIE NIGHTS, his softy nurse in MAGNOLIA, and, of course, his recent MASTER-ful performance as L. Ron Hubbard surrogate Lancaster Dodd, he's knocked it out of the park every time. He has the ability to make a huge impression with a limited amount of screentime; his smaller roles in ALMOST FAMOUS, CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE III, ALONG CAME POLLY, SCENT OF A WOMAN, THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY, THE IDES OF MARCH, THE INVENTION OF LYING, and several others are all conspicuous highlights of those films. It broke my heart to hear that he was struggling with addiction, and required rehab right in the midst of his flourishing career. But it hasn't appeared to slow him down, as he's just about to sign on to SAFE HOUSE director Daniel Espinosa's upcoming CHILD 44.
Hoffman will be in good company; the project, which is currently shooting in Prague, also stars Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace, Gary Oldman, Paddy Considine, and the new ROBOCOP, Joel Kinnaman. The story involves Hardy as a Russian cop investigating a child-killer in 1950's Soviet Union while fighting the will of Stalin's regime, which insists that the crimes don't really exist. Rapace plays Hardy's wife, and Oldman will play his superior; no word as to whether Considine, Kinnaman, Hoffman, or someone else entirely will be playing the murderer. I'm hoping for Hoffman; we've seen in the past that he's capable of both tender weakness and glowering menace, and it would be a great knockout role to remind people that no amount of heroin in the world can muddle his acting talents.
Again, while I wasn't bonkers about SAFE HOUSE, I'm in love with this cast. Any two of those actors would probably get me in the theater, but all of them? Yeah, I think all I need's a poster on this one to whet my appetite. Hope they push the Hoffman so people know that whatever personal problems he has, he is still a fucking amazing thespian, and that his presence is an attribute to any film he appears in.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay to bring you MANIMAL: THE MOVIE! -- 163 total posts 22 posts
- Edgar Wright's Next Project Revealed! -- 121 total posts 13 posts
- Idris Elba to play one of Guy Ritchie's KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE! -- 339 total posts 12 posts
- "I would never order an alcoholic beverage on the bridge..." Trailer for SPACE STATION 76 has its heart firmly in place and its tongue firmly in cheek! -- 60 total posts 11 posts
- 4th Week of July 2014 PICKS & PEEKS: Werewolves, BLUE RUIN, Nordic Noir, ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE + more! -- 169 total posts 11 posts
- JJ Abrams reveals a rusted out, beat up awesome looking X-Wing in new video! -- 550 total posts 10 posts
- A New & Full Length Trailer For Disney XD’s STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 60 total posts 8 posts
- New Trailer Promises the Creepiest HONEYMOON Ever! -- 24 total posts 6 posts
- A Recently Recovered Gene Roddenberry Interview Leads To A Kickstarter About The Early Days Of STAR TREK!! -- 71 total posts 5 posts
- Fox Networks Group Chairman Peter Rice: ‘I’d Love To See Another Season Of 24!!’ -- 160 total posts 5 posts