Legendary Cinematographer John Seale Discusses The Shooting Of MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!!
John Seale...is a fucking legend of cinematography. He lensed WITNESS, THE MOSQUITO COAST, CHLDREN OF A LESSER GOD, HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER’S STONE, THE ENGLISH PATIENT, RAIN MAN, DEAD POET’S SOCIETY, and much, much more.
And...he shot George Miller’s upcoming, controversial, and much-anticipated resurrection of the MAD MAX franchise, FURY ROAD.
Longtime AICN friend (and ultraMAXian) David sent along this link which I thought y’all would find interesting. It’s a twenty-minute or so interview with Seale about his experience making MAD MAX: FURY ROAD. The film represented Seale’s first use of digital cameras, and a deployment of Arri Alexa M cameras - which had only been used on SKYFALL previously. It also presented a number of other challenges: selection of crash cams, heat and dust covers for cameras, shooting much of the film in compressed spaces (trucks), a protracted day-for-night sequence, etc. Sounds like we may be in for many quick cuts in the film, by the way. “Don’t worry about continuity - it’ll be cut to fast...” was apparently an edict about this particular project. Seale also reveals that some of the cinematography was, essentially, handled virtually and in post production.
You can find said interview HERE - it begins around 01:06. Fascinating stuff which hints at a film of predictably enormous technical complexity. Check it out.
Still no release date for MAD MAX: FURY ROAD, although signs of the franchise ramping-up again abound, including THIS 2014 video game, a bevy of (Behind the Scenes) vehicle images, and this leaked first image of Tom Hardy as Max Rockatansky.
More as we know more...
- Google +
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 179 total posts 43 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 306 total posts 5 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 82 total posts 4 posts
- Spring Forward With Lauren Cohen & Sonequa Martin-Green On TALKING DEAD!! Data Brokers On 60 MINUTES!! The Premieres Of Fox’s COSMOS, Lohan’s LINDSAY & Carolla’s CATCH A CONTRATOR!! The Returns Of BURGERS, SIMPSONS, GUY, ONCE & REVENGE!! New GIRLS, ISLAND, AMAZING, SHAMELESS, FIANCE, WIVES, AX!! KARDASHIANS & LOOKING Finales!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 6 total posts 3 posts
- SXSW 2014: Nordling Reviews BOYHOOD! -- 7 total posts 2 posts
- A newly remastered 4K print of THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE is coming just in time for its 40th anniversary!! -- 70 total posts 1 post
- Merrick Stands Up In The Milky Way To Be Pummeled By The Greatness Of COSMOS: A SPACETIME ODYSSEY!! -- 43 total posts 1 post
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 216 total posts 1 post
- 'There’s No Going Home For Me!!' The New Promo For Fox’s 24: LIVE ANOTHER DAY!! -- 12 total posts 1 post
- Eric Bana Wants to DELIVER US FROM EVIL in this New Trailer! -- 63 total posts 1 post