Legendary Cinematographer John Seale Discusses The Shooting Of MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!!
John Seale...is a fucking legend of cinematography. He lensed WITNESS, THE MOSQUITO COAST, CHLDREN OF A LESSER GOD, HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER’S STONE, THE ENGLISH PATIENT, RAIN MAN, DEAD POET’S SOCIETY, and much, much more.
And...he shot George Miller’s upcoming, controversial, and much-anticipated resurrection of the MAD MAX franchise, FURY ROAD.
Longtime AICN friend (and ultraMAXian) David sent along this link which I thought y’all would find interesting. It’s a twenty-minute or so interview with Seale about his experience making MAD MAX: FURY ROAD. The film represented Seale’s first use of digital cameras, and a deployment of Arri Alexa M cameras - which had only been used on SKYFALL previously. It also presented a number of other challenges: selection of crash cams, heat and dust covers for cameras, shooting much of the film in compressed spaces (trucks), a protracted day-for-night sequence, etc. Sounds like we may be in for many quick cuts in the film, by the way. “Don’t worry about continuity - it’ll be cut to fast...” was apparently an edict about this particular project. Seale also reveals that some of the cinematography was, essentially, handled virtually and in post production.
You can find said interview HERE - it begins around 01:06. Fascinating stuff which hints at a film of predictably enormous technical complexity. Check it out.
Still no release date for MAD MAX: FURY ROAD, although signs of the franchise ramping-up again abound, including THIS 2014 video game, a bevy of (Behind the Scenes) vehicle images, and this leaked first image of Tom Hardy as Max Rockatansky.
More as we know more...
- Google +
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 3rd Official X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST trailer hits - and it is a big one!!! -- 229 total posts 219 posts
- ‘A Gift From The Clairvoyant!!’ Patton Oswalt Joins Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! Seinfeld On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! The Returns Of NEW GIRL, AWKWARD & WIFE SWAP!! The Premiere Of FARGO!! Plus New BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, PERSON, TOSH, NCIS, GLEE, FIRE, CONTAINER, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL & VOICE!! TEEN MOM Finale Special!! DANCE MOMS 100!! HARDCORE PAWN Finale!! Nathan Fillion & Tatiana Maslany on CONAN!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 138 total posts 32 posts
- Jaden Smith will dress like a girl to avoid slavery in THE GOOD LORD BIRD! -- 72 total posts 20 posts
- Everyone thinks Elizabeth Banks is a hooker in this red-band WALK OF SHAME trailer! -- 45 total posts 19 posts
- The Composer For That BATMAN / SUPERMAN Movie Is… -- 234 total posts 12 posts
- David Fincher wants more money to do his JOBS! -- 177 total posts 12 posts
- MAGIC MIKE XXL gets a release date! -- 21 total posts 9 posts
- Matthew Vaughn to get SUPERIOR to stay in the Mark Millar business for Fox! -- 24 total posts 8 posts
- 3rd week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: Welles,Wilder,Svankmajer, Mann,Jeong, Sirk,Trier & more!!! -- 110 total posts 7 posts
- THE SIGNAL and V/H/S co-director David Bruckner to direct the found footage FRIDAY THE 13TH reboot?! -- 65 total posts 6 posts