Sam Rockwell to go into the light by signing onto the POLTERGEIST remake?!
Papa Vinyard here, and I got somethin' for ya...
If this works out, that POLTERGEIST remake is in for a shocking dose of personality. The Wrap has put up the news that Sam Rockwell is in talks to play opposite Rosemarie DeWitt as the central family's old man in Gil Kenan's upcoming remake. Even cooler is the fact that Rockwell is allegedly primarily intrigued by the role due to the involvement of Sam Raimi through his Ghost House Production banner. Rockwell hasn't confirmed this news himself, but he's Kenan and Raimi's top choice, and it would be a huge get for the production to have someone with the actor's level of fan appeal and dramatic talent.
Rockwell is really good at balancing his studio gigs with more bizarre independent work, but I don't think he's ever taken on a straightforward horror lead before. If he could inject some of that CONFESSIONS OF A DANGEROUS MIND/MOON/GALAXY QUEST madness into an otherwise-steadfast "concerned father" type, it should be more than enough to distinguish POLTERGEIST not only from the original, but from the glutton of contemporary horror remakes as well. I wasn't a fan of THE WAY, WAY BACK, but it showed off Rockwell's talent with child actors, which is a must for this role.
I like where Kenan's head's at right now, getting actors with indie cred like DeWitt and Rockwell instead of cheaper, anonymous talent. But I'm still holding out for who they get to replace Zelda Rubinstein!
POLTERGEIST will shoot in the next couple of months, and is aiming for a release date sometime in 2014.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- The Bat Cowl from BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is in the hall! -- 245 total posts 245 posts
- There's a new awesome filming location for STAR WARS 7!!! -- 218 total posts 218 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 177 total posts 176 posts
- Beginning of a flood of AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic Con Artwork?!?! -- 203 total posts 119 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 75 total posts 75 posts
- Marvel Debuts Special ANT-MAN Poster For Comic Con! -- 114 total posts 71 posts
- Sony Says Fuck It, Announces Release Dates For THE SINISTER SIX And THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3! -- 351 total posts 56 posts
- Behold The Blazing New Poster For THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES!! -- 220 total posts 56 posts
- SDCC '14: Title logo for WARCRAFT! -- 62 total posts 50 posts
- Marvel sets one additional 2018 release date! -- 105 total posts 44 posts