Rosemarie DeWitt to play the lead in the POLTERGEIST remake!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
Deadline has announced that Gil Kenan has found the female lead for his remake of 1982's POLTERGEIST in Rosemarie DeWitt. DeWitt is relatively unknown, but has made strong impressions in THE WATCH (as Ben Stiller's wife), Lynn Shelton's YOUR SISTER'S SISTER, and RACHEL GETTING MARRIED, in which she locked town a ton of critics' awards and nominations as the titular character. She is also the lead of Shelton's upcoming film, TOUCHY FEELY, which got her some positive reviews out of Sundance. DeWitt will be updating JoBeth Williams' character from the original, a family woman who is giddily curious about the supernatural presence in her house until it takes away her youngest daughter.
It's probably a coincidence that this news comes on the heels of the massive success of THE CONJURING this past weekend (co-starring DeWitt's husband, Ron Livingston), but it's a happy one. That film proved that, when done right, a haunted house movie can still be a box-office draw while being critically acclaimed and downright scary, even shot traditionally without a "found footage" gimmick. I like MONSTER HOUSE, and I have hopes that Kenan will be able to replicate the chilly vibe that Hooper (and Spielberg) invested into the first one, without overly focusing on ghost/otherworldly effects.
Now let's see who they find to replace Craig T. Nelson and, more importantly, Zelda Rubinstein. Who could possibly make the same impression with, "This house is clean"?
POLTERGEIST is gearing up to shoot soon, aiming for a release date sometime in 2014.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- SDCC '14: Quint talks about the surprisingly good 5-ish minutes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shown at the Con! -- 72 total posts 72 posts
- SDCC '14: Another snap of Batfleck from BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 296 total posts 68 posts
- Mark Hamill referred to his beard for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII as "contractually-obligated"!! Does that confirm what we've been hearing?? -- 243 total posts 58 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 293 total posts 46 posts
- "This is a classic alternate reality situation...like FRINGE!" Get wet with the red-band trailer for HOT TUB TIME MACHINE 2! -- 96 total posts 43 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen the new Interstellar trailer! Plus The Rock and Spongebob stuff! -- 36 total posts 36 posts
- The Bat Cowl from BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is in the hall! -- 287 total posts 12 posts
- There's a new awesome filming location for STAR WARS 7!!! -- 243 total posts 10 posts
- Check Out this New Poster for HORNS! -- 36 total posts 9 posts
- Spierig Brothers to Write and Direct WINCHESTER for Hammer! -- 14 total posts 5 posts