THE FAMILY is the incarnation of evil, as evidenced by this trailer!!
Howdy do, everyone, Papa Vinyard here.
On the heels of the release of that poster we got earlier today, Relativity's released a trailer for the English-language, French-produced, Luc Besson-directed THE FAMILY that makes it seem like quite a bit of fun. After a cleverly Martin Scorcese-tinged opening bit showing how happy Robert De Niro's mafioso character was as a big shot mobster, we see his family living in witness protection in France, apparently the most recent of a long line of relocations. It's not just De Niro who has a hard time fitting in, but his tough, resourceful wife, and two pragmatic hustler children, as well. Inevitably, his old mafia cohorts track him down, and with his kids in the line of fire, he has to take down the invading baddies with the help of his wife and a badass curmudgeon of a CIA agent, played by Tommy Lee Jones.
While I worry that the tone teeters too close to the screwball hijinks of the underwhelming, Luc Besson-produced FROM PARIS, WITH LOVE, I dig the RED-with-an-edge vibe that we see here. De Niro actually seems engaged (it's always a crapshoot with him these days), Pfeiffer is doing a more violent spin on her MARRIED TO THE MOB character, Diana Agron and John D'Leo show promise as their kids, and Jones, as always, gets big laughs with his deadpan expressions and delivery. I am hoping he gets involved in the asskicking; a De Niro/Jones tag-team throwdown is the kind of third act that would justify any preceding hour of screen time.
THE FAMILY opens on September 20th.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- The GODZILLA Sequel Has A Writer!! -- 163 total posts 163 posts
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 258 total posts 157 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 260 total posts 122 posts
- DOCTOR WHO S08E05 ‘Time Heist’ Reader Reaction Begins Now!! + HornOrSilk’s ‘Domain Of The Voord’ Big Finish Audio Review, Synopses For Upcoming S8 Eps, And More!! UPDATE RE: UPCOMING UK TIME CHANGE!! -- 111 total posts 111 posts
- Quint is surprisingly quite fond of Kevin Smith's TUSK! Fantastic Fest 2014! -- 74 total posts 74 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 156 total posts 65 posts
- Guy Ritchie brings a mermaid onto land to play his Guinevere in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR! -- 115 total posts 59 posts
- Gaze Upon the Trailer for Tim Burton's BIG EYES! -- 49 total posts 49 posts
- After writing Gareth Edwards' STAR WARS flick, Gary Whitta will move on to Mark Millar's STARLIGHT! -- 42 total posts 42 posts
- Muldoon Happily Gets Lost in THE MAZE RUNNER! -- 68 total posts 40 posts