A Review Of Hot Toy's Great IRON MAN 3 Mandarin!!
’Tis somehow appropriate that the Shane Black scripted and directed IRON MAN 3 is the most divisive film in the IM series to date. It is, after all, Shane Black - and where Black is involved, a whole project becomes…I don’t know…not as…easy.
Whether or not one embraces the coarser, more real world ‘street’ sensibilities Black brought to the cinematic IM universe in its third installment, several points stand beyond refute: 1) the film made well over $1 billion at the global box office, so something about it not only worked - but worked well; 2) my six year old son love, loves LOVES the Mark XXXVIII armor; 3) Brian Tyler’s theme music is a retro, kitschy blast…
…. and 4) Ben Kingsley’s Trevor Slattery/“Mandarin” character was a surprise in a number of ways. Kingsley nailed that performance and lit up the screen - even if the role represented a kick-in-the-nuts sleight-of-hand about which not all Marvel fans were wildly enthusiastic.
Some say Kingsley is the most memorable element in a film which is, in many regards, kinda nutty. Personally, I’d tend to agree with this assessment. As such, it should come as no surprise that Hot Toys…the inimitable purveyors of cool…would issue one of their expectedly stunning representations of the character.
Offering multiple layers of ‘clothing,’...
...swappable ‘hands,’ a stand, a ‘throne,’ and inordinately detailed across-the-board, the Mandarin figure manages to capture the countenance of Slattery-as-Mandarin quite convincingly. The figure becomes less a replica and more of a moment whose image and vibe has been skillfully suspended in time.
Despite all of the figure’s charm and effectiveness, some collectors may struggle to come to terms with one of it qualities: that beard…is not hair, or fiber, or whatever. It’s a solid construct. A deal breaker for me? Not even close, as…from a distance…it looks convincing enough and fulfills its intent quite nicely. Which is blissfully apropos in a way, as this iteration of the Mandarin character is, in the end, completely about illusion from the outset. And this figure plays its role quite nicely.
Hot Toy’s IRON MAN 3 Mandarin is now available for purchase HERE. NOTE the payment plan option to the right of the page.
- Google +
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 479 total posts 198 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 299 total posts 149 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 328 total posts 82 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 56 total posts 56 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 255 total posts 35 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 223 total posts 33 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 590 total posts 24 posts
- Papa Vinyard Saw THE HATEFUL EIGHT Script Reading Last Night And Here's His Review! -- 21 total posts 21 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 16 total posts 16 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 208 total posts 15 posts