BETTER CALL SAUL Could Be Prequel And Sequel To BREAKING BAD??
Sony and AMC announced in September that their “Breaking Bad” spin-off “Better Call Saul” would be an hourlong prequel – but might there be a sequel element as well?
While promoting Alexander Payne’s much anticipated big-screen effort “Nebraska,” Bob Odenkirk had some interesting things to say to IGN about his upcoming TV show. Excerpt:
IGN: We’ve all been speculating about [AMC’s “Breaking Bad” spin-off “Better Call Saul”], and I was wondering if you thought it would be interesting if, within this prequel, there were some flash-forwards to where Saul is post-Breaking Bad on the lam in Nebraska – that life?
Bob Odenkirk: Well, I’ve talked to Vince [Gilligan] and Peter [Gould], who are writing and creating the series, about this and I’ve said that a lot of people do want to see what happens to next to Saul. So, I don’t know what they’re going to do. I know they’ve talked about prequel, but they’ve also talked to me about sequel, and they’ve also talked to me about a mix of prequel and sequel.
This is the first I’m hearing of a “mix" of prequel and sequel, but I'll say I judge a "Godfather Part II"-ish mix the best idea.
Odenkirk, who says Gilligan and Gould start scripting “Saul” in two weeks, also disclosed “Better Call Saul” won’t indulge more comedy than “Breaking Bad” did:
IGN: It’s been said that Better Call Saul will be more of a 70% comedy, 30% drama mix, which is sort of the reverse formula of Breaking Bad. Is that exciting for you?
Odenkirk: I don’t think that’s what it’s going to be. It’s going to be 70% drama and 30% comedy.
The actor also says he’s not sure how big a presence Saul’s late cohorts Gus Fring or Mike Ehrmantraut might have in the new series:
IGN: I know that Vince Gilligan has said there may be some Breaking Bad cameos in Better Call Saul, but it feels like a similar situation where you want to be kind of sparing with it, so that this show can have its own life.
Odenkirk: Oh my God, I told Peter and Vince, right away I said, ‘Look man, let us make this fresh for everyone.’ So that right away, in the first five minutes, every viewer goes, ‘Oh, this isn’t Breaking Bad, this is its own thing.’ And I think they feel the same exact way. There might be a cameo here or there, but I don’t know. We’re going to do a new show.
Find all of IGN’s interview with Odenkirk here.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Cyborg is confirmed to appear in BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN, and we know who's going to play him! -- 285 total posts 48 posts
- UPDATED (17:15) with image of the cast in character! Meet Jon M. Chu's JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS!! -- 106 total posts 14 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 84 total posts 6 posts
- THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN Is Now Called... -- 222 total posts 6 posts
- Trailer for [REC]4: APOCALYPSE Has Arrived! -- 4 total posts 4 posts
- AICN HORROR talks with Thommy Hutson about Kickstarting his new book, the definitive A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET companion, NEVER SLEEP AGAIN! -- 95 total posts 3 posts
- 4th Week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: SORCERER, GET CARTER, PAWNBROKER, Slasher horror & more!!! -- 177 total posts 3 posts
- Behold The Greatness Of IMAX's GODZILLA Poster!! -- 134 total posts 3 posts
- Here's A Trailer For AS ABOVE SO BELOW!! Freaky Madness In The Catacombs Of Paris!! -- 30 total posts 2 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 455 total posts 2 posts