Marvel to team with Netflix to bring us TV adaptations of DAREDEVIL, LUKE CAGE, JESSICA JONES, IRON FIST And THE DEFENDERS!!!!
Hey Yo, Draven here.
Here is some huge news to kick off your Thursday, Marvel has announced that they will be teaming up with Netflix to bring us new live-action TV shows. They are set to have at least 13 episodes each of DAREDEVIL, LUKE CAGE, JESSICA JONES, and IRON FIST. Keeping with their big screen plan, Marvel also announced that the shows will lead into THE DEFENDERS mini-series which is described as, “a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.”
Netflix and Marvel also said in the announcement that, “the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming,” and that it will "take Netflix members deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell's Kitchen, New York,” DAREDEVIL will be the first to premiere in 2015.
This is awesome news as I know a lot of us wanted Marvel to use their lesser known heroes on the small screen. Being with Netflix also means that there won’t any limits on content. We could finally get that “R” level DAREDEVIL adaptation that so many of us want. The series sound like they are going to be closely connected and Marvel is going to take their time building towards THE DEFENDERS. This is exciting news and Marvel continues to be innovative and one step ahead of the rest of the industry.
Here is the press release:
BURBANK, Calif., Nov. 7, 2013 – The Walt Disney Co. (Marvel is a known and loved brand that travels,” sNYSE: DIS) and Netflix Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX) today announced an unprecedented deal for Marvel TV to bring multiple original series of live-action adventures of four of Marvel’s most popular characters exclusively to the world’s leading Internet TV Network beginning in 2015. This pioneering agreement calls for Marvel to develop four serialized programs leading to a miniseries programming event.
Led by a series focused on “Daredevil,” followed by “Jessica Jones,” “Iron Fist” and “Luke Cage,” the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming, taking Netflix members deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell’s Kitchen, New York. Netflix has committed to a minimum of four, thirteen episodes series and a culminating Marvel’s “The Defenders” mini-series event that reimagines a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.
Produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Television Studios, this groundbreaking deal is Marvel’s most ambitious foray yet into live-action TV storytelling.
“This deal is unparalleled in its scope and size, and reinforces our commitment to deliver Marvel’s brand, content and characters across all platforms of storytelling. Netflix offers an incredible platform for the kind of rich storytelling that is Marvel’s specialty,” said Alan Fine, President of Marvel Entertainment. “This serialized epic expands the narrative possibilities of on-demand television and gives fans the flexibility to immerse themselves how and when they want in what’s sure to be a thrilling and engaging adventure.”
“Marvel’s movies, such as ‘Iron Man’ and Marvel’s ‘The Avengers’, are huge favorites on our service around the world. Like Disney, Marvel is a known and loved brand that travels,” said Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos. “With ‘House of Cards’ and our other original series, we have pioneered new approaches to storytelling and to global distribution and we’re thrilled to be working with Disney and Marvel to take our brand of television to new levels with a creative project of this magnitude.”
This new original TV deal follows last year’s landmark movie distribution deal through which, beginning with 2016 theatrically released feature films, Netflix will be the exclusive U.S. subscription television service for first-run, live-action and animated movies from the Walt Disney Studios, including titles from Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Disneynature and Lucasfilm. Netflix members can currently enjoy a wide range of Disney, ABC TV and Disney Channel films and shows across the 41 countries where Netflix operates.
Follow me on Twitter here!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 297 total posts 147 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 383 total posts 102 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 280 total posts 34 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 26 total posts 26 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 243 total posts 23 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 586 total posts 20 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 210 total posts 20 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 12 total posts 12 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 203 total posts 10 posts
- 3rd week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: Welles,Wilder,Svankmajer, Mann,Jeong, Sirk,Trier & more!!! -- 153 total posts 7 posts