Marvel to team with Netflix to bring us TV adaptations of DAREDEVIL, LUKE CAGE, JESSICA JONES, IRON FIST And THE DEFENDERS!!!!
Hey Yo, Draven here.
Here is some huge news to kick off your Thursday, Marvel has announced that they will be teaming up with Netflix to bring us new live-action TV shows. They are set to have at least 13 episodes each of DAREDEVIL, LUKE CAGE, JESSICA JONES, and IRON FIST. Keeping with their big screen plan, Marvel also announced that the shows will lead into THE DEFENDERS mini-series which is described as, “a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.”
Netflix and Marvel also said in the announcement that, “the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming,” and that it will "take Netflix members deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell's Kitchen, New York,” DAREDEVIL will be the first to premiere in 2015.
This is awesome news as I know a lot of us wanted Marvel to use their lesser known heroes on the small screen. Being with Netflix also means that there won’t any limits on content. We could finally get that “R” level DAREDEVIL adaptation that so many of us want. The series sound like they are going to be closely connected and Marvel is going to take their time building towards THE DEFENDERS. This is exciting news and Marvel continues to be innovative and one step ahead of the rest of the industry.
Here is the press release:
BURBANK, Calif., Nov. 7, 2013 – The Walt Disney Co. (Marvel is a known and loved brand that travels,” sNYSE: DIS) and Netflix Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX) today announced an unprecedented deal for Marvel TV to bring multiple original series of live-action adventures of four of Marvel’s most popular characters exclusively to the world’s leading Internet TV Network beginning in 2015. This pioneering agreement calls for Marvel to develop four serialized programs leading to a miniseries programming event.
Led by a series focused on “Daredevil,” followed by “Jessica Jones,” “Iron Fist” and “Luke Cage,” the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming, taking Netflix members deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell’s Kitchen, New York. Netflix has committed to a minimum of four, thirteen episodes series and a culminating Marvel’s “The Defenders” mini-series event that reimagines a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.
Produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Television Studios, this groundbreaking deal is Marvel’s most ambitious foray yet into live-action TV storytelling.
“This deal is unparalleled in its scope and size, and reinforces our commitment to deliver Marvel’s brand, content and characters across all platforms of storytelling. Netflix offers an incredible platform for the kind of rich storytelling that is Marvel’s specialty,” said Alan Fine, President of Marvel Entertainment. “This serialized epic expands the narrative possibilities of on-demand television and gives fans the flexibility to immerse themselves how and when they want in what’s sure to be a thrilling and engaging adventure.”
“Marvel’s movies, such as ‘Iron Man’ and Marvel’s ‘The Avengers’, are huge favorites on our service around the world. Like Disney, Marvel is a known and loved brand that travels,” said Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos. “With ‘House of Cards’ and our other original series, we have pioneered new approaches to storytelling and to global distribution and we’re thrilled to be working with Disney and Marvel to take our brand of television to new levels with a creative project of this magnitude.”
This new original TV deal follows last year’s landmark movie distribution deal through which, beginning with 2016 theatrically released feature films, Netflix will be the exclusive U.S. subscription television service for first-run, live-action and animated movies from the Walt Disney Studios, including titles from Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Disneynature and Lucasfilm. Netflix members can currently enjoy a wide range of Disney, ABC TV and Disney Channel films and shows across the 41 countries where Netflix operates.
Follow me on Twitter here!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN Is Now Called... -- 173 total posts 173 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 438 total posts 101 posts
- Behold The Greatness Of IMAX's GODZILLA Poster!! -- 83 total posts 83 posts
- Meet Jon M. Chu's JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS!! -- 45 total posts 45 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 174 total posts 44 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 73 total posts 44 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 51 total posts 43 posts
- Tom Hardy (as twins) and Emily Browning to star in Brian Helgeland's gangster flick, LEGEND! -- 44 total posts 35 posts
- Check Out the Trailer for EJECTA - From PONTYPOOL Scribe Tony Burgess! -- 38 total posts 31 posts
- Mowgli to have friends like Scarlett Johansson and Lupita Nyong'o in Jon Favreau's JUNGLE BOOK! -- 65 total posts 29 posts