Jon Favreau swings into the director's chair of THE JUNGLE BOOK!
Papa Vinyard here, now here's a little somethin' for ya...
THE MAGIC KINGDOM didn't happen, but it looks like Jon Favreau is ready to tackle another property for Disney. Deadline has the story that Favs' next project (after his indie effort, CHEF) will be a JUNGLE BOOK movie for the House of Mouse. Slight cause for concern: the current draft is being written by STREET FIGHTER: THE LEGEND OF CHUN-LI scribe Justin Marks. Hopefully, the failure of that movie was more due to behind-the-scenes tinkering than Marks' efforts.
Favreau gave Deadline this quote:
“I can’t say that much, but there is an interesting take that could be very cool, and the hope is to relaunch a family brand with certain mythic elements. It is my first real family film since ELF, and there are action elements and visual effects that I feel like my experience on the IRON MAN films are going to be useful.”
Um, Jon, I'm pretty sure ZATHURA was a family film. Jus' sayin'.
No word as to what this "interesting take" involves, but hopefully it isn't any sort of "modern update" on Rudyard Kipling's classic stories of Mowgli, the boy raised by animals. Given that the relatively recent Stephen Sommers movie from '94 covered the same territory without the more fanciful elements (specifically talking animals), I'd guess that Favs is going to bring that stuff back into the fold (which would make it truer to Kipling's original work).
ELF and ZATHURA are both smarter-than-average "kids' movies", and Kipling's source material (and the Disney-fied iconography that accompanies it in pop culture) is rich with cool characters and scenes for Favreau to play around with. I'm excited to see his depictions of Bagheera, Shere Khan, Kaa, and, of course, Baloo; remember how funny and adorable those claymation characters were in ELF?
At the very least, this should do better with the kiddies than THE SECOND JUNGLE BOOK: MOWGLI & BALOO (you ever see that? Bored me to tears as a child).
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- A New And Nice Clip From Darren Aronofsky’s NOAH!! + Emma Watson Introduces A New Trailer!! -- 120 total posts 120 posts
- ‘You Are Of SHIELD??’ THOR’s Hot Pal Sif Joins AGENTS!! The Premiere Of FROM DUSK TILL DAWN!! Plus New NEW GIRL, BOY, BROOKLYN, BACHELOR, BAD GIRLS, MIND GAMES, TROPHY, TOSH, ORIGINALS, GOLDBERGS, GLEE, RIZZOLI, PERCEPTION, KROLL, LIARS, COUGAR, FISHER, FIRE, CONTAINER, TEEN MOM, CAPONES & VOICE!! KING Finale!! Syfy’s MY BIG FAT GEEK WEDDING!! Lauren Cohan & Jeff Goldblum on CRAIG!! Rachel Maddow On SETH!! Ronald D. Moore On LAST CALL!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 117 total posts 117 posts
- Is one of these guys ready to play Dr. Victor Von Doom in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 114 total posts 114 posts
- Li Bingbing Looks Mighty Stern In Her TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION Character Poster!! -- 98 total posts 98 posts
- New Clip from CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER! -- 73 total posts 73 posts
- Jason Sudeikis to star as the Laker lovin', disguise wearin' Irwin "Fletch" Fletcher in FLETCH WON! -- 67 total posts 67 posts
- See The Flash's Full Costume For The New CW Show!! -- 66 total posts 66 posts
- The Rock ‘Em, Sock ‘Em Badassity Of TITANFALL Is Now Upon Us!! -- 59 total posts 59 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 341 total posts 47 posts
- Another Talented Filmmaker Joins The DOCTOR STRANGE Directin' Derby! -- 44 total posts 44 posts