Capone thinks METALLICA: THROUGH THE NEVER is a solid concert experience for fans and newbies alike!!!
Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.
In a perfect world, this Metallica concert experience would have been just that: a straight-up, riveting, utterly immersive 3-D film with music blaring through IMAX speakers and massive images of James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich, Kirk Hammett and Robert Trujillo filling the screening. And make no mistake, all of that is in METALLICA: THROUGH THE NEVER, in the very capable hands of director Nimrod Antal (KONTROLL, PREDATORS, VACANCY). But then there's this sketch of a story the runs through the film that is visually quite interesting, but adds very little to the actual experience of watching and listening to Metallica perform.
While I applaud the band for trying to do something more than a straight concert film, the staging of the particular shows that were filmed for this document pretty much cover this being anything but ordinary. But that doesn't stop a story from developing concerning a roadie named Trip (the great young actor Dane DeHaan, soon to be seen in the new AMAZING SPIDER-MAN film as Harry Osborn), who is sent out into the city to locate a missing band-owned truck. But as he gets closer to finding the vehicle, strange and scary things begin to happen that resemble a violent uprising. All the while, Metallica's music acts as the soundtrack to this tale.
And how about that music? I feel like every review of this film I've read so far has had the critic exclaim their level of fandom for Metallica before they dive into talking about the film. I would not consider myself a "fan" of the band, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate their music. I actually like the sometimes symphonic qualities that some of their more epic songs display, and this stage show is like walking through a haunted house.
I was genuinely surprised how many of these songs I actually knew, despite not owning any Metallica music. There are tremendous, definitive versions of such songs as "Creeping Death," "For Whom the Bell Tolls," "One," "Wherever I May Roam," "...And Justice for All," "Master of Puppets," "Nothing Else Matters" and, of course, "Enter Sandman." Some fans may complain that the chosen tracks are decidedly lacking in deep cuts, but as a casual fan, I was thrilled to hear so many familiar songs, made all the more memorable thanks to unique stagings for each tune.
I've known since seeing the band in the great doc METALLICA: SOME KIND OF MONSTER that this is group of guys who take their music so seriously that they were at one point willing to sacrifice the band if it meant maintaining the health of the individual members. They only wanted to make music if they were all physically and psychologically well. A part of me suspects that maybe, psychologically, some of them are still on the edge, because only that would it explain the added through-line of THROUGH THE NEVER. Thankfully, the value and strength of the music owns the day and this film. Hell, I even dug the instrumental jams the band engages in during the end credits.
In addition to rocking music, METALLICA: THROUGH THE NEVER also features some of the best 3-D you'll see in your life. It's strange and wonderful that in just one week, you're going to see another spectacular, eye-popping use of 3-D in Gravity, which uses it differently, but with equal effectiveness.
At times, this film is frustrating (pretty much every time it leaves the concert), but I will admit I'm such a fan of DeHaan's work in such movies as CHRONICLE, LAWLESS and THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES, to name a few, that I was happy to see him work his angsty greatness all over the movie. I didn't actually see this film on an IMAX screen, but if you're able to find one that's playing this work, opt for that and hope your eardrums and eyes will forgive you for spoiling them so dramatically.
-- Steve Prokopy
Follow Me On Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 297 total posts 147 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 383 total posts 102 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 280 total posts 34 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 26 total posts 26 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 243 total posts 23 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 586 total posts 20 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 210 total posts 20 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 12 total posts 12 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 203 total posts 10 posts
- 3rd week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: Welles,Wilder,Svankmajer, Mann,Jeong, Sirk,Trier & more!!! -- 153 total posts 7 posts