David S. Goyer Discusses Superman And Killing...
*** MAN OF STEEL SPOILERS THROUGHOUT ***
David S. Goyer recently spoke to Digital Spy about that controversial MAN OF STEEL sequence in which Superman snaps Zod’s neck.
In the context of the film, such a move was explicable given Zod & Co’s determination to fuck up the Earth and eat Kal-El for breakfast. My issue...personally...isn’t that Superman killes Zod (which I concede is shocking) - it’s the recklessness with with which the whole smackdown was conducted beforehand. Yes, Zod and his posse were the instigators and the rowdy ones - but where I feel the film wobbles is that Superman makes no effort to draw the fight away from public arenas. That felt...dubious...to me morally...not entirely virtuous. One could easily argue that the original SUPERMAN II suffers the same symptoms - and one would be right, to an extent. But, at least in that film, Superman pleads with Zod via lines like “Don’t do it, they’re people!” (sorry if that quote isn’t exact)...which at least acknowledges some awareness of the dangers of collateral damage and the possibility of causalities being wrecked upon an innocent populous.
Anyway, the worthiness of MAN OF STEEL’s enormous and protracted finale has proven highly divisive amongst fans, and will continue to do so for some time, I suspect. And, I’m not sure these comments from MoS scripter Goyer is going to do much to stem the unrest. Although, the concept of the action resonating into later films - I think is a good one. If there's a growth and maturity and understanding prompted - if a weight of responsibility arrises - from the happenings of the first film? Then team Snyder may be onto something. If their Superman just happens to remain thoughtless and destructive as the series progresses? Well, that that's a different story altogether.
Here are a few abridged snippets of his comments - be sure to check out the whole shebang HERE at DigitalSpy.
Goyer, however, stated that the Man of Steel's moral code "exists outside of the narrative and I just don't believe in rules like that".
"This is one area, and I've written comic books as well and this is where I disagree with some of my fellow comic book writers - 'Superman doesn't kill'. It's a rule that exists outside of the narrative and I just don't believe in rules like that. I believe when you're writing film or television, you can't rely on a crutch or rule that exists outside of the narrative of the film."
"Also our movie was in a way Superman Begins, he's not really Superman until the end of the film. We wanted him to have had that experience of having taken a life and carry that through onto the next films. Because he's Superman and because people idolise him he will have to hold himself to a higher standard."
So, what do you think? Do Goyer's comments above suggest backpedaling, or a true master plan? Or, is this a master plan reshaped by a certain amount of backlash? Or none of the above?
MAN OF STEEL arrives on Blu-ray and DVD November 12 and is up for pre-order HERE.
- Google +
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Nordling Reviews THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL! -- 76 total posts 74 posts
- Idris Elba to voice a great, big, bloody Bengal tiger by the name of Shere Khan in Jon Favreau's JUNGLE BOOK! -- 82 total posts 56 posts
- "Just another Saturday night" Marv and company are back in the first trailer for SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR!! -- 181 total posts 39 posts
- From The Director Of GRAVITY!! The First Two Minutes Of NBC And Bad Robot’s BELIEVE!! -- 37 total posts 37 posts
- Sam Raimi to produce an adaptation of THE LAST OF US!!! -- 141 total posts 37 posts
- Jeremy Returns With More Tales From The CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER Set! -- 61 total posts 35 posts
- A newly remastered 4K print of THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE is coming just in time for its 40th anniversary!! -- 59 total posts 34 posts
- Merrick Stands Up In The Milky Way To Be Pummeled By The Greatness Of COSMOS: A SPACETIME ODYSSEY!! -- 28 total posts 28 posts
- Yowzwa!! Here’s 4 Minutes Of CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER!! -- 203 total posts 26 posts
- Are You Primed For Optimus’ TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION Character Poster?? -- 170 total posts 25 posts