Live in Chicago? Capone has seats for an early screening of GRAVITY in IMAX 3-D!!!
Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.
I saw the much-anticipated new film from director and co-writer Alfonso Cuarón (CHILDREN OF MEN; Y TU MAMÁ TAMBIÉN) a couple weeks back, and I came out thinking one very clear thought: "I've never seen anything like that before in my life." It's not a thought that crosses my mind that often anymore (especially after watching a movie), and that's sad. But I've gotten so used to it, that when something like GRAVITY comes into my life, it's hard to let go. If you've seen clips or trailers for GRAVITY (as I'm sure most of you have), you're going to regret ever having seen a frame of this film out of context once you've seen the complete work.
The film stars Sandra Bullock and George Clooney as a pair of astronauts (actually, she's a medical engineer, as she points out) that work together to stay alive after a horrific accident eliminates every possible place they have left to go in space. Technical achievements aside (I still don't know how they did most of what I saw in this film), GRAVITY is a tale about surviving, being very alone, and the things we cling to and remember when we're fairly certain the end is near. But on a pure geek level, well, the power of this film's effects are immeasurable. Any young children with dreams of being astronauts may have those dreams ripped from their hearts after seeing GRAVITY. At times, it's one of the most terrifying, awe-inspiring things you've ever seen.
Have I build up your expectations enough? Good, because I have a whole bunch of tickets for an early Chicago screening of GRAVITY taking place Monday, September 30 at 7:00 pm at the Navy Pier IMAX Theatre. To win a pair of tickets (or just one, if that's all you want), send me an email at GravityChicago@aintitcoolmail.com (please note the new email address) with the subject line "Don't Let Go" (exactly like that). In the body of the email, I need your full Name, whether or not you're bringing a Guest (each winner may bring ONE confirmed guest--if I think you gave your +1 to someone trolling for free tickets at the theater, you won't get in), and the answer to the following question: "What is your favorite film featuring big trouble in outer space, and why?" I need a film title and a detailed reason for your choice. Keep your responses BRIEF--no more than 75 words (no matter how tempted you are to go over the limit). Best answers win, and you'll hear from me VERY SOON (hopefully by Friday) if you won, so check your email.
Because this is not an exclusive Ain't It Cool News event, it is overbooked to guarantee a full house. Winners' seats will be held until 15 minutes before showtime (meaning 6:45 pm), at which time any empty seats in our rows will be given away. So you should arrive early to make sure you get in and get a good seat. If you can't arrive early, don't enter this contest. If there's even the slightest chance you or your guest will have to back out of attending or arrive late if you do win, don't enter. If you have a job that might make you late or unable to attend, or an ill/pregnant relative, or a temperamental significant other, or a scratchy throat, do not enter. And the 24-hour-notice-to-cancel rule is done. If you win and don't show up, the Black List is your new best friend.
Good luck, everyone! And thanks to the Warner Bros. for giving us this very cool screening.
-- Steve Prokopy
Follow Me On Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 105 total posts 73 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 404 total posts 64 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 63 total posts 63 posts
- Check Out This Trailer for British Sci-Fi Film THE ANOMALY! -- 31 total posts 31 posts
- Nordling Reviews TRANSCENDENCE! -- 177 total posts 29 posts
- ‘This Place Is Bullshit!!’ The 2-Minute Season-Two Trailer For Netflix’s ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK!! -- 33 total posts 20 posts
- SINISTER 2 Has Found its Director! -- 39 total posts 18 posts
- The first trailer for Clint Eastwood's JERSEY BOYS is here! -- 92 total posts 16 posts
- New Images from Richard Linklater's BOYHOOD! -- 21 total posts 15 posts
- Denzel Washington Walks In The Middle Of The Street In THE EQUALIZER Teaser Poster! -- 102 total posts 9 posts