Detroit to be used as both Gotham and Metropolis in the upcoming BATMAN/SUPERMAN film!!
Hey Yo, Draven here.
Last week, our friends over at Latino-Review first reported that the MAN OF STEEL sequel (or BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN or WORLD’S FINEST) would be filming in Detroit, Michigan and today that was confirmed. Superhero Hype has the official press release announcing the news:
The Michigan Film Office announced today that the next DC Entertainment Super Hero movie from Warner Bros. Pictures has been approved for a film incentive from the state.
The film, from director Zack Snyder, brings together the two greatest Super Heroes of all time—Superman and Batman—for the first time on the big screen. Production on the new film is expected to begin in metro Detroit and throughout Michigan sometime in the first quarter of 2014. Snyder is co-writing the story with David S. Goyer, who is writing the screenplay. Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder are producing the film, which will star Henry Cavill, Ben Affleck, Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane.
“This project will further strengthen the reputation of Michigan and metro Detroit as a premier film destination,” said Margaret O’Riley, director of the Michigan Film Office. “We look forward to the spotlight shining on our incredibly talented workforce and the businesses that support our film industry here in Michigan.”
“Detroit is a great example of a quintessential American city, and I know it will make the perfect backdrop for our movie,” stated filmmaker Zack Snyder. “Detroit and the entire state of Michigan have been fantastic collaborators, and we are looking forward to working together on this film.”
The as-yet-untitled feature film was awarded an incentive of $35 million on $131 million of projected in-state expenditures. The production is expected to hire 406 Michigan workers, with a full time equivalent of 426 jobs, plus an additional 6,000 man/days of extra work. The production anticipates using approximately 500 local Michigan vendors during the course of production and spending $5.1 million on local hotels, as well as an additional $3.5 million in out-of-town cast and crew per diem payments that will be spent in the local economy but which fall outside of the incentive program.
The incentive funding for the project will be allocated out of the Fiscal Year 2014 budget. However, any funding remaining from the budget at the end of the current fiscal year will be directed to offset the full incentive amount for this project.
The most interesting thing here is that they are apparently planning on using Detroit, Michigan for both Gotham and Metropolis. Not surprising, is that Michigan is offering about $35 million in tax breaks to Warner Bros to film there. TRANSFORMERS 4 is currently filming there and Detroit needs all the income and jobs it can get right now.
Follow me on Twitter here!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Herc Is Underwhelmed By Cuaron’s Bad Robot Pilot BELIEVE!! -- 39 total posts 17 posts
- A New Poster Of Angelina Jolie As MALEFICENT!! -- 129 total posts 9 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 303 total posts 9 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 95 total posts 8 posts
2010-2014 -- 31 total posts 4 posts
- Jon Favreau Still Contemplating A Trip To The MAGIC KINGDOM! -- 29 total posts 3 posts
- Meet your new FANTASTIC FOUR!! -- 1651 total posts 2 posts
- Atom Egoyan's West Memphis Three Drama DEVIL'S KNOT Gets A Suitably Dramatic Trailer! -- 16 total posts 2 posts
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 321 total posts 2 posts
- ‘That Place Can Be Exhausting!!’ Herc Endorses Tonight’s JUSTIFIED 5.9!! -- 1 total post 1 post