Jim Carrey To Knock Over A Bank For Jared Hess In LOOMIS FARGO!
Relativity Media has announced that Jim Carrey will star in the heist comedy LOOMIS FARGO for director Jared Hess. The film is based on the amusing "hillbilly heist" of a Charlotte, North Carolina bank in 1997, which ended in lengthy jail sentences for all of the involved parties. On the surface, it looks like the familiar tale of a bunch of rubes ineptly trying to pull off the perfect crime, but if you read up on the story, you'll find there's a pathetic, unrequited romance at its core. As far as I'm concerned, you can't do much better than Carrey as the sad-sack armored car driver who gets strung along by the girl of his dreams.
There's no word on how closely screenwriters Chris Bowman and Hubbel Palmer will follow the real-life story, but I trust Hess to go for something somewhat unconventional here. Mostly, I'm excited to see Carrey play a desperate, slightly unhinged dreamer. He's at his best in character-driven films like this.
Here's the plot summary from the press release:
Inspired by true events, LOOMIS FARGO tells the story of a disgruntled bank employee who is ready to take a chance and risk it all for love, money, and a life he’s only dreamed of. Teaming up with his work crush, they conspire to rob the financial institution. Together with their accomplices, the inexperienced criminals nab nearly $20 million – leaving a trail of evidence in their wake. Now the only thing tougher than pulling off the heist – will be getting away with it.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 44 total posts 44 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 102 total posts 25 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 509 total posts 12 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 265 total posts 9 posts
- Papa Vinyard Saw THE HATEFUL EIGHT Script Reading Last Night And Here's His Review! -- 31 total posts 8 posts
- This Week's Saturday Shorts: Parkour, Compliments, and Getting Pooped on! -- 14 total posts 8 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 219 total posts 5 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 22 total posts 4 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 333 total posts 4 posts
- AICN HORROR looks at PROXY! THE LASHMAN! 13 SINS! CAMP DREAD! ROULETTE! POSEIDON REX! CONFINE! DEATH DO US PART! PSYCHOPHONY: AN EXPERIMENT IN EVIL! MONSTERS TV Series! HOWLS! & WOLF CREEK 2! -- 11 total posts 3 posts