The Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day wants your precious bodily fluids!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes Picture.
Had a bit of an ordeal at the new house yesterday involving smoke detectors going off every 40 minutes for no apparent reason starting about an hour after I went to sleep, carbon monoxide warnings and two fire trucks outside my house. It was all nothing and just zany smoke detectors acting a fool, but it threw a kink in my day, so I’m a little late with the BTS pic. Apologies, but hey… you get three pictures instead of one, so that was worth waiting an extra few hours for, right?
I’m also going to throw in this rather nice youtube compilation of many of my previous BTS images, put together by a constant reader. It’s pretty great and really underlines just how many crazy awesome images have graced this column over the years. Check it out:
Now on to today's pics. As I’m sure you could glean from the headline we’re taking a dip into Stanley Kubrick’s Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.
Some BTS pictures document the making of a particular scene, some show the vibe on a set, some show how different departments do their job (like the makeup shots I post a lot) and some tell a story about what happens in the downtime.
This series of stills from Dr. Strangelove show how Kubrick and George C. Scott spent much of their time between setup: playing chess. Since there’s a few shots from different days this was clearly a regular event. I know Kubricks films pretty well, but I I haven’t devoured many Kubrick books, so I wonder who was the better player? I’d wager Kubrick, but if he was as engaged with these games as he appears to be then Scott must have been damn good himself.
Anyway, these are really cool shots and I hope you dig ‘em as much as I do. Thanks again to Decaying Hollywood Mansions for digging them up and letting me share them in this column. Enjoy!
And we have a bonus pic, provided by George Wishart, featuring Peter Sellers taking a picture of Scott and Kubrick in the middle of a game.
If you have a behind the scenes shot you’d like to submit to this column, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The ball is back in tomorrow’s pic.
I’ve got a lot of maintenance work to do on the previous BTS articles, but you can visit two pages worth of images (beware of some broken links thanks to the last server shift): Click here to visit Page One and Click here to visit Page Two
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 297 total posts 147 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 383 total posts 102 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 280 total posts 34 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 26 total posts 26 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 243 total posts 23 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 586 total posts 20 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 210 total posts 20 posts
- ‘Why Don’t We Just Start Our Own Agency??’ Sunday Brings One Of The 13 Final MAD MENs!! -- 12 total posts 12 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 203 total posts 10 posts
- 3rd week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: Welles,Wilder,Svankmajer, Mann,Jeong, Sirk,Trier & more!!! -- 153 total posts 7 posts