Ryan Gosling's directorial debut HOW TO CATCH A MONSTER sounds all sorts of crazy and is looking for actors with distinctive faces
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. Casting notices are always interesting in that they give you a little insight into a film via character descriptions that might or might not end up being what the character is in the final film.
Case in point, this little bit of open casting for Ryan Gosling's directrial debut, HOW TO CATCH A MONSTER, which films in Detroit this May. The film is described as a "fantasy noir" and sounds crazy. Here's the description:
Set against the surreal dreamscape of a vanishing city, Billy, a single mother of two, is swept into a macabre and dark fantasy underworld while Bones, her 18-yr-old son, discovers a secret road leading to an underwater town. Both Billy and Bones must dive deep into the mystery, if their family is to survive.
If you go to this site you can actually submit yourself to be cast in the flick, which will star Gosling's Drive co-star Christina Hendricks. They're looking for male actors, including the lead, Bones (described as "an introspective loner with an active imagination"), a "feral like boy" age 3-6 named Frankie and the role of Face. Check out Face's character description:
A small-town trouble maker from the wrong side of the tracks. He is the constant, silent companion of the dark and sinister character, BULLY. His trademark is the unusual and distinctive appearance of his face.
These kinds of roles tend to be breakouts for actors that have faces with character, but not the kind of Hollywood perfection that usually gets cast. The casting agents are looking for actors with scars or birthmarks or anything that makes their face distinct and unique.
No matter what, it sounds like Gosling's going into some crazy Terry Gilliam territory with this film, which automatically makes it one of the most interesting projects in development for me. What do you folks think?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 419 total posts 82 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 167 total posts 37 posts
- THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN Is Now Called... -- 36 total posts 36 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 65 total posts 36 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 44 total posts 36 posts
- Tom Hardy (as twins) and Emily Browning to star in Brian Helgeland's gangster flick, LEGEND! -- 41 total posts 32 posts
- Check Out the Trailer for EJECTA - From PONTYPOOL Scribe Tony Burgess! -- 31 total posts 24 posts
- Mowgli to have friends like Scarlett Johansson and Lupita Nyong'o in Jon Favreau's JUNGLE BOOK! -- 60 total posts 24 posts
- "Where do you stand on Michael Buble?" "His windpipe?" Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon have more celebrity impressions up their sleeves in THE TRIP TO ITALY trailer! -- 43 total posts 21 posts
- Behold The Greatness Of IMAX's GODZILLA Poster!! -- 20 total posts 20 posts