HERC Reviews A New ER!!
ER 7.17 FAQ
When did the last new “ER” air?
What’s the new one called?
“Survival of the Fittest.”
What does TV Guide say?
“A freak shooting incident takes place during a typically busy shift. In a swamped ER, Benton questions why Mrs. Howard (Adrian Ricard) is present. He operated on the 79-year-old nursing-home resident a month ago, but she's back in the hospital because she hasn't been eating. When two police officers arrive with a gunshot victim, the disoriented Mrs. Howard calls out to them, claiming that her purse has been stolen. Minutes later, she grabs an officer's gun - and shots ring out. In another development, Carter treats an overweight student for an asthma attack and discovers what triggered it.”
Teleplay is credited to versatile series producer Joe Sachs, who also serves as a show technical advisor.
The news from Suckometrics?
It’s a typically compelling installment, and, boy, it’s great to have the show back! These guys are showbiz pros, and not in a bad way.
What’s TV Guide not telling us?
Tons of stuff!
When does the shooting occur?
About 15 minutes in.
Anybody hit by those gunshots?
Will we be surprised at who gets hit?
Does the shootee die?
Is it anybody we care about?
That would be telling. (We can tell you Benton thinks the shooting may have been racially motivated.)
C’mon, Herc! Give us SOME kind of spoiler! At least tell us what triggered the overweight student’s asthma attack?
Some kids were sniffing spot remover in the back of the kid’s bus. A lot of other kids on the bus are affected too, including a pregnant teen who hasn’t told her mother of her condition, and one of the sniffers, who gets some REALLY bad news.
Is this the best of the patient plots?
No. There’s a great twisty story about a woman who may not be be able to get her eggs harvested in time when she is diagnosed with a brain bloodclot.
Any other big news?
Carter decides he hasn’t lost interest in his underage girlfriend after all. When he says he’s reconsidered their relationship, she asks if her age is still a problem. He responds, “Not an issue. Anymore.”
Does the Carter/Lockhart romance appear any less inevitable?
No. Abby is meant for John. Carter’s impromptu effort to keep Lockhart out of the loop with regard to his new romance backfires. Bigtime.
What else backfires?
Malucci’s April Fools joke on Luka.
How’s Mark Greene?
At work and seemingly fully recovered. Mostly he’s worried about 7-month-pregnant Lizzie, whom Romano still doubts can handle her surgical duties.
Any hot lesbian complications this week?
Nope. Legaspi spends the episode off-camera.
What about Ming?
Tonight’s episode is Chen-free.
Any big surprises?
Romano unexpectedly demonstrates he’s a human being.
How does it end?
After Lizzy makes a key decision, Mark feeds her ice cream as the Turtles’ “So Happy Together” wells up on the soundtrack.
HERC’S RATING FOR “ER” 7.17?
The Hercules T. Strong Rating System:
**** better than most motion pictures
*** actually worth your valuable time
** as horrible as most stuff on TV
* makes you quietly pray for bulletins
Was that Haldol??
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
March 29, 2001, 12:14 a.m. CST
Sorry Herc but a guy's gotta draw the line somewhere.
March 29, 2001, 2:37 a.m. CST
by Odo Ital
ER is a great drama with deep characters, and part of the episode review includes the possibility of lesbian action? While I don't think that Weaver's relationship with the blonde from upstairs was that great an idea to start with, it hasn't been terrible, either. Besides, wasn't Legaspi fired or something because she told that suicidal chick that caused the big train wreck that she was a lesbian?
March 29, 2001, 5:38 a.m. CST
by I am_NOTREAL
...she was placed on admin leave pending further investigation. Weaver didn't support her with Romano. I'm strangely ambivalent about this show lately, but of course I'll be watching tonight.
March 29, 2001, 4:47 p.m. CST
Let either that little black girl that Benton is watching or that Black doctor he's dating (you know, the b*tch) get killed off. I'll drink a gallon of racid milk if they will PLEASE KILL EITHER OF THEM OFF!!! PLEASE!! I'LL PAY MONEY DAMNIT! I'M BEGGING YOU!! PLEEEEASSSSEEE!!!
March 29, 2001, 5:29 p.m. CST
Based on Herc's hint, I'd say that security bursts in and blows the whacky little ol' lady away before she can kill anyone.
March 30, 2001, 5:13 a.m. CST
by B A Fett
Actually got me caring about some of the characters again. Just when I was about ready to quit on this show...they pull me back in.
March 30, 2001, 3:43 p.m. CST
It just seems like they've been killing patients at about an 80% clip this season. That was one of the things that turned me off about Chicago Hope, the "accidental" dramatic screw ups that kept killing the patients. Yet, the doctors keep on working. Seriously, hasn't it seemed like they've killed most of the healthy patients and failed to save most of the critical patients this season? It's like guarenteed every episode that during a lull or touching quiet scene the lines "<Carter/Green/Benton/Weaver>!!!! She/He's (health stable patient) not breathing/going into deep fib!!!", "Oh no!" run, run, run...
March 30, 2001, 8:55 p.m. CST
I missed it...
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The LEFTOVERS Finale And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS, STAR TREK, SNL, NFL, HBO & Tivo News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 380 total posts 369 posts
- 2nd Sept 2014 PICKS & PEEKS Column: CAP 2, Pumpkinhead, Toho, Addams, Star Trek, Slashers, Comedy & Action+ -- 1524 total posts 351 posts
- ‘Listen’!! Reader Reaction To DOCTOR WHO S08E04 Begins Now!! + HornOrSilk Reviews The ‘Zygon Hunt’ Big Finish Audio, And More!! -- 413 total posts 125 posts
- Kelvington Says Tonight’s DOCTOR WHO Is A Perfect Episode – Were It Not For The Episode’s Foreshadowing!! -- 132 total posts 78 posts
- Morgan Freeman Joins the Cast of BEN-HUR! -- 222 total posts 72 posts
- Drone Videos Reveal Expanse Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII Set!! + More Falcon / X-Wing Shots!! -- 430 total posts 38 posts
‘Why Must It Always
Hercules Loves The Return Of Nelson Van Alden In Tonight’s BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! -- 26 total posts 26 posts
- The Jurors Return To The BIG BROTHER House!! PBS’ ROOSEVELTS Premiere!! New STRAIN, MANHATTAN, SEX, NAKED & RAY!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 17 total posts 17 posts
- Hercules Says Syfy’s New Zombie Series Z NATION Is Even Worse Than THE WALKING DEAD’s Farm Episodes!! -- 166 total posts 17 posts
- Capone talks finding comedy within tragedy with THE SKELETON TWINS' director/co-writer Craig Johnson!!! -- 7 total posts 6 posts