On Set FROM HELL Footage from Prague!
Hey folks, Harry here with a look from CNN of the FROM HELL set outside of Prague where the Hughes Brothers shot the film. El Cosmico and his amazing TIVO unit managed to capture this beast for all of you! The piece was actually on "How much cheaper it is to shoot movies in Prague than in Hollywood or anywhere else for that matter" Sure to make all of the local film crews lose a cap while gritting their teeth in furious anger. But frankly... the reality in the case of the FROM HELL set was a matter of costs being 3 times cheaper, therefore they were able to rebuild... from scratch.... Jack The Ripper era White Chapel... completely.
Meanwhile, you should also know that I've found out a few additional details about the Test Screening and the state of the print of FROM HELL that took place in Las Vegas a couple of nights ago. First, only about 70% of their effects work has been completed. Second, sound and picture are not finished.... things like the voice of the Ripper are temps... filler at the moment. And work is definitely continuing on the film. So click on the below to get a bit of a visual sense of things thanks to CNN and El Cosmico... enjoy....
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
March 23, 2001, 4:31 a.m. CST
Get theyself down soho tonite for a few jars my son.
March 23, 2001, 4:53 a.m. CST
Check out eddie campbell for a great interview with Mr Moore. His brain must be like the Tardis. http://www.eddiecampbellcomics.com/index.html Did you know that From Hell was banned in Australia!
March 23, 2001, 5:16 a.m. CST
I am confused as to how this film could have been made outside London when the architecture of the city was so pivotal to the nature of the 'From Hell' graphic novel. Without giving too much away the motivations of the Ripper lie in his masonic background and his ideas about the history of male/female conflicts. Chapter four involves 'Jack' driving about London demonstrating how the architecture, from Cleopatra's needle to the pagan designs of Nicholas Hawksmoor draw their influence from the 'Dionysian tradition' of male supremacy in which the freemasons are steeped. I fear this film will be pure Dick Van Dyke. They HAD better include the most controversial element of the book however, namely that the actions of the Ripper were sanctioned and virtually commissioned by the establishment i.e. Queen Victoria herself. That should raise some eyebrows.
March 23, 2001, 9:02 a.m. CST
The new Jonny Depp thriller from hell? Aint they all like that?
March 23, 2001, 9:34 a.m. CST
They actually built a facsimile of the Whitechapel area around the Ten Bells somewhere near Prague not IN Prague although there are some great atmospheric area in that city around the old jewish quarter. A great town and wel worthey to stand in for London which unfortunately dont look like it used to. I ve just been to Paris and that is far better to walk round. I dont belive they actually built every street etc as the camera and the viewer dosent need to see everything. We all know that sets are fake and only for the camera. Mind you imagine if the actually built the whole thing and then someone actually stated reenacting the murders as if the actual architecture was the catalyst !!!! Now that would be freaky. Every time I go round there i always think about Jack and all the people that lived there 100 years ago. some allys are still a bit spooky and you can imaging someones cloak just going round the corner out the side of your eye. But nowadays your more likely to get mugged rather then slashed from ear to ear thank god! Not that its a particularly dangerous area! Im sure that the masonic thing will be there and they must show those connections as they are very relevant to the motivation of the character. I hope they dont lose the flavour of the book.
I've had just about enough mason bashing for one day, thank you very much.
March 23, 2001, 10:16 a.m. CST
by Buzz Maverik
...I know I'm gonna get to laugh my ass off! You're slaying me, Slew! Thanks, man!
March 23, 2001, 12:09 p.m. CST
I hate all of you. Today in particular...Dr. X
March 23, 2001, 9:28 p.m. CST
by Buzz Maverik
George Washington's head resembles a psykicfugeus mushroom, the kind used by shamans to see into the netherworld? A coincidence, you say? Grow up, I say! It is a well known fact that Masons are on that mushroom, also known as the Cherry Tree Chopper Shroom and the Presidente-Uno Shroom, when they do their charitible work, watch stag films and try to take over the world. George Washington was a Mason and was such a partaker of those shrooms that he had his head surgically altered by a Masonic surgeon (a precursor of Saucy Jack) to look like one. That's why he had wooden teeth. His real teeth had to be removed to aid in the mushroom shape. Also, that's why he stood up while crossing the Delaware. If he'd sat down, his head would have flopped over in the water and anchored the rowboat in place.
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 263 total posts 107 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 70 total posts 29 posts
- The Fellows Behind The Big-Screen JUMP STREET (And THE LEGO MOVIE And CLONE HIGH) Plan To Reboot Another Steven J. Cannell Series: THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO!! -- 47 total posts 10 posts
- Capone says AS ABOVE/SO BELOW uses a chilling location to terrifying effect!!! -- 35 total posts 9 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 94 total posts 8 posts
- Amazon To Bring Back Patrick Warburton As Ben Edlund’s TICK?? -- 8 total posts 8 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 276 total posts 6 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Fox's Batman-Free GOTHAM, Woody’s MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT, The Final Season Of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS & STAR TREK News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 4 total posts 4 posts
- Just How Conjoined Is Sarah Paulson In AHS FREAK SHOW?? See For Yourself!! -- 72 total posts 4 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 285 total posts 3 posts