Martin Scorsese May Make A Film About One Of America's Greatest Bands! Gabba Gabba Hey!
It was just a throwaway line in an article about the resurgence of The Ramones, one of the most influential and beloved punk bands to have ever played, but according to Billboard, amidst a flurry of new releases, documentaries, books, and even a play, Martin Scorsese is attached to make a dramatic film based on the band. No word on casting, director, screenwriter, or anything, really, but I could see Scorsese, who is an acknowledged fan, making an amazing film based on this story.
I came to the Ramones late in life - as a kid/teenager I was musically challenged, to say the least, but once I heard those chords of "Blitzkrieg Bop" I was hooked. From their youthful days in Queens, to their seminal performances in CBGB's, to their influence on just about everyone since, The Ramones changed everything, even if no one knew it at the time. Fast guitars and drums, songs barely clocking in at 3 minutes at best, and with an attitude and the sheer joy of musicmaking, I love everything about this band, and I could identify with Joey Ramone's reclusive nature. Scorsese could certainly do justice to this band, and even as most music biopics are pretty standard fare, I feel confident that Scorsese could fill the movie with the love of life that The Ramones had.
There's a reason why I chose END OF THE CENTURY as the article picture. It's one of those albums that divides the fanbase, since it was the album that helped cause the rift between the band and Tommy Ramone. It was also produced by Phil Spector, who, rumor has it, pulled a gun on the band during a recording session. END OF THE CENTURY may have well destroyed the band. I think it would make a fascinating story, and probably deserves a movie on its own. It's also, oddly enough, my favorite Ramones album. It's not as raw as the previous albums, but there's something beautiful in the arrangements that Spector supervised, and it's just full-sounding and gorgeous. "Danny Says" is one of those songs that moves me every time I hear it. Hope this happens, even as Martin Scorsese has a pretty full plate already.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 218 total posts 117 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 204 total posts 67 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 132 total posts 41 posts
- Quint is surprisingly quite fond of Kevin Smith's TUSK! Fantastic Fest 2014! -- 39 total posts 39 posts
- Guy Ritchie brings a mermaid onto land to play his Guinevere in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR! -- 92 total posts 36 posts
- Here’s A Video Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII’s Millennium Falcon, Highlighting One Little Detail… -- 440 total posts 29 posts
- DOCTOR WHO S08E05 ‘Time Heist’ Reader Reaction Begins Now!! + HornOrSilk’s ‘Domain Of The Voord’ Big Finish Audio Review, Synopses For Upcoming S8 Eps, And More!! -- 28 total posts 28 posts
- Muldoon Happily Gets Lost in THE MAZE RUNNER! -- 49 total posts 21 posts
- The Premiere Of TIM & ERIC’s BEDTIME STORIES!! New GARFUNKEL, HAVEN & LOSER!! HONORABLE, RUSH, WORST, NAKED, MARRIED & SATISFACTION Finales!! The Return Of BREAKING AMISH!! Terry Gilliam On COLBERT!! Carmen Lynch On CRAIG!! Julianna & Viggo On SETH!! Ali Wong @MIDNIGHT!! Herc’s Thursday TV Talkback!! -- 18 total posts 15 posts
- Another New (And Rather Cool) INTERSTELLAR Poster!! -- 206 total posts 11 posts