MondoCon releases amazing sounding panel, print and LP details!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. Can I just say right off the bat that Justin Ishmael and the rest of the Mondo guys are a bunch of assholes? I mean, not personally. I'm real-life friends with many of them and love them all dearly, but they decided to put on an awesome looking convention opening weekend of Fantastic Fest and now I'm going to be run ragged trying to cover both things.
World's tiniest fiddle, I know, I know. Not a bad “stress” to have in one's professional life when all is said and done, but still. I like sleep, so those guys are assholes.
It's Mondo, so they'll be doing exclusive print and LP drops, but it's the panels they've announced that have me super excited. Let's look at the exclusive prints and LPs first...
Alex Ross + Mondo + Iron Giant? Hooooooooollllllyyyyyyy shit!
I'm in love. Brilliant image, brilliant movie and I'm already tearing up just thinking about that moment. The print measures 15x27 and is limited to 325.
Iron Giant is all over the Con. They're also releasing the Michael Kamen score on vinyl for the first time with two different covers. My personal favorite is the Jason Edmiston cover (the first image below), but Jay Shaw's variant cover isn't exactly dog meat either.
These are the only released pieces so far, but they're also going to be setting up a pop up shop dropping unannounced prints every day of the con. They'll also have another LP releasing that sounds amazing.
Stanley Kubrick nixed a complete score from famous composer Alex North late in the game while making 2001. That score has never been released on vinyl (only once on a limited CD, I believe) and Mondo will releasing that.
Which brings me to the panels. Brian Satterwhite will be running a panel centered on that LP release that will include some scenes from the movie with North's music reintegrated to show us what could have been.
For Mondo fans Justin Ishmael, Mitch Putnam and Rob Jones will be art directing a poster live on a panel and will also be showing alternate designs for famous Mondo posters as they evolved throughout the process.
The panel I'm the most looking forward to is William Stout's panel on the 1983 Godzilla film that never was. Stout did a bunch of storyboard and design work on this film that have never been seen before, but at this panel he'll be showing off a ton of it and talking about the movie never came to be.
How sweet does that sound? I'm kind of obsessed with high profile movies that never happened, so I'll be there with bells on.
The guest list is a who's who of artists, including Stout, Bernie Wrightson, Geof Darrow, Scott C., Daniel Danger, Jason Edmiston, Laurent Durieux, Basil Gogos, Jock, Mike Mitchell, Mike Mignola, Alex Pardee, JC Richard, Jay Shaw, Gary Pullin, Kevin Tong and tons more.
Tickets are still available for the show, which runs September 20th and 21st at the Marchesa Hall. You can get single day tickets for $35 and a weekend pass for $70. If you're one of the lucky few Fantastic Fest VIP badge holders your VIP badge gets you into MondoCon for free. Click here for all the information about the Con that's currently known.
Hope to see some of you fools there!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- After writing Gareth Edwards' STAR WARS flick, Gary Whitta will move on to Mark Millar's STARLIGHT! -- 167 total posts 11 posts
- DOCTOR WHO S08E05 ‘Time Heist’ Reader Reaction Begins Now!! + HornOrSilk’s ‘Domain Of The Voord’ Big Finish Audio Review, Synopses For Upcoming S8 Eps, And More!! UPDATE RE: UPCOMING UK TIME CHANGE!! -- 142 total posts 5 posts
- The GODZILLA Sequel Has A Writer!! -- 197 total posts 4 posts
- CBS, The Only Network Without A Superhero Show, Just Ordered To Series Berlanti’s SUPERGIRL!! -- 49 total posts 3 posts
- Papa Vinyard talks with Rose McGowan about her first project as a director and the DAWN Film Festival she's curating this week in downtown Los Angeles! -- 14 total posts 3 posts
- Capone says THE MAZE RUNNER dares to be different, streamlined in a sea of young-adult science fiction offerings!!! -- 14 total posts 2 posts
- Is FARGO's Noah Hawley writing one of the Universal monster flicks?? -- 26 total posts 2 posts
- Capone says Kevin Smith's wonderfully grotesque TUSK falters when it tries too hard to be funny!!! -- 43 total posts 2 posts
- Capone would rather not leave you watching THIS IS WHERE I LEAVE YOU!!! -- 15 total posts 1 post
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 164 total posts 1 post