Fantastic Fest 2014 Trailer Wave Part 1!
I just saw the picture of the newly built South Lamar Alamo Drafthouse, and it looks like a slice of movie heaven on earth. Take a look for yourself. It opens this weekend, officially (although there will be test runs up through Saturday). I can't wait to walk through those doors next month. It's going to be like going home.
I love Fantastic Fest. To me, it's the greatest film festival in the world. That's because the movies I see there have no preamble to be - I can experience new films the way they should be experienced - with little to no marketing, and a blank slate. Then, of course, there's the secret screenings, the premieres, the events, the KARAOKE, and the general camaraderie that takes place. Every year is better than the last, and this year, the tenth anniversary of Fantastic Fest, could be absolutely legendary.
But it's the movies that grab me. I've seen some of my favorite films of all time at Fantastic Fest, and premieres like GRAVITY, HOLY MOTORS, or CLOUD ATLAS have found their way deep into my heart. And then, there's those unsung films that sneak up on me and kick my ass - films like last year's AFFLICTED, or JUAN OF THE DEAD, or MOOD INDIGO. This year I plan to cover it head-to-toe, and I'll be reporting back as much as I can.
I managed to compile these trailers from the first wave of programming announcements. These aren't all of them; some don't seem to have any official trailer, and the WYRMWOOD clip is actually the short film that helped kick off the making of the feature-length production. Also, the trailer for TOMBVILLE has an unfortunate ad at the end of it, but since it's the only English subtitled trailer I could find, feel free to hit stop after the first minute ten seconds. I'm most excited to see THE BABADOOK - heard wonderful things coming from the various fests it's played this year. I'm very curious about Kevin Smith's TUSK - will it be a return to form? Will it play like Smith's take on such films as SSSSSSS! or THE HUMAN CENTIPEDE? We'll see opening night, along with the premiere of ABCS OF DEATH 2. I'm a big fan of the V/H/S films, so V/H/S VIRAL is a must-see for me. So far, this crop of movies looks great, scary and appropriately fantastic. Fantastic Fest starts September 18th, with badges still available. Here are the trailers I found:
CLOSER TO GOD
KUNG FU ELLIOT
THE MAN IN THE ORANGE JACKET
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 253 total posts 152 posts
- The GODZILLA Sequel Has A Writer!! -- 139 total posts 139 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 254 total posts 117 posts
- DOCTOR WHO S08E05 ‘Time Heist’ Reader Reaction Begins Now!! + HornOrSilk’s ‘Domain Of The Voord’ Big Finish Audio Review, Synopses For Upcoming S8 Eps, And More!! UPDATE RE: UPCOMING UK TIME CHANGE!! -- 84 total posts 84 posts
- Quint is surprisingly quite fond of Kevin Smith's TUSK! Fantastic Fest 2014! -- 72 total posts 72 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 151 total posts 60 posts
- Guy Ritchie brings a mermaid onto land to play his Guinevere in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR! -- 113 total posts 57 posts
- Gaze Upon the Trailer for Tim Burton's BIG EYES! -- 42 total posts 42 posts
- Muldoon Happily Gets Lost in THE MAZE RUNNER! -- 67 total posts 39 posts
- Here’s A Video Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII’s Millennium Falcon, Highlighting One Little Detail… -- 449 total posts 38 posts