NBC Hires A PILF To Play Peter Pan Opposite Walken’s Captain Hook!!
The fabulous Alison Williams, best known as the only lead on HBO’s “Girls” who refuses to get naked, has been cast in the title role of NBC’s live staging of “Peter Pan.”
On the HBO series Williams’ character Marnie aspires to a singing career.
The actress, of course, is the daughter of NBC anchor Brian Williams.
ALLISON WILLIAMS CAST AS ICONIC TITLE CHARACTER IN NBC’S ‘PETER PAN LIVE!’
“Girls” Star Ready to Fly as She Takes Center Stage for Network’s Highly-Anticipated Dec. 4 Telecast
NEW YORK — July 30, 2014 — “Girls” star and classically trained singer Allison Williams has been cast as the iconic title character in NBC’s Dec. 4 telecast of “Peter Pan Live!”
“We couldn’t be happier that Allison Williams is our Peter Pan,” said Robert Greenblatt, Chairman, NBC Entertainment. “She’s a lovely rising star on the award-winning show ‘Girls’ -- where she occasionally shows off her incredible vocal talent -- and we think she will bring the perfect blend of ‘boyish’ vulnerability and bravado to save the day against Christopher Walken’s powerful Captain Hook.”
"Allison Williams is a major find," said executive producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron. "She will reinvent the iconic role of Peter Pan with her wit, her warmth, her dynamic flying and her wonderful musical abilities. The score will be sung beautifully and introduced to a whole new generation of families."
“I have wanted to play Peter Pan since I was about three years old, so this is a dream come true,” said Williams. "It’s such an honor to be a part of this adventure, and I’m very excited to get to work with this extraordinarily talented team. And besides,” added Williams, "what could go wrong in a live televised production with simultaneous flying, sword fighting and singing?"
Williams, who has sung on HBO’s “Girls” and in various other projects, is an accomplished actress and singer. Since graduating from Yale University in 2010, she has starred as Marnie Michaels on the twice Emmy Award-nominated and Golden Globe-winning “Girls.”
Williams recorded several songs (as Marnie) for the “Girls” soundtrack, and videos of her singing online that she made prior to “Girls" have gained millions of views. Williams has also appeared on “The Mindy Project” and “The League."
NBC recently announced that Oscar winner and Emmy and Tony Award nominee Christopher Walken will star as Captain Hook in the Dec. 4 telecast.
The original Broadway production of “Peter Pan,” directed and choreographed by Jerome Robbins and featuring the iconic songs “I’m Flying,” “I’ve Gotta Crow,” “I Won’t Grow Up,” and “Never Never Land,” opened on Broadway in 1954. The show had a book by J.M. Barrie and a score by Mark “Moose” Charlap & Carolyn Lee, with additional songs by Jule Styne & Betty Comden and Adolph Green.
It starred Mary Martin as Peter and Cyril Ritchard as Captain Hook, both of whom won Tony Awards for their performances. While Martin earned a Tony playing Peter on Broadway, other actresses have taken on the role for different Broadway productions. Sandy Duncan was the title character in the 1979 stage version and Cathy Rigby portrayed Peter throughout the 1990s on the Great White Way.
Martin and Ritchard reprised their Broadway roles in a live telecast of the production which aired on NBC in 1955. The production was so popular that NBC followed it in 1956 with a second live telecast -- and in 1960 with a videotaped version, both also starring Martin and Ritchard. The 1960 videotaped version was rebroadcast in 1963, 1966 and 1973 and was released on home video in 1990.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 164 total posts 64 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 167 total posts 30 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 112 total posts 21 posts
- Guy Ritchie brings a mermaid onto land to play his Guinevere in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR! -- 77 total posts 21 posts
- Here’s A Video Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII’s Millennium Falcon, Highlighting One Little Detail… -- 423 total posts 12 posts
- Another New (And Rather Cool) INTERSTELLAR Poster!! -- 203 total posts 8 posts
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 166 total posts 7 posts
- Muldoon Happily Gets Lost in THE MAZE RUNNER! -- 35 total posts 7 posts
- This Poster For INSIDIOUS CHAPTER 3 Is Creepy And Requires Reading!! -- 65 total posts 5 posts
- Quint is surprisingly quite fond of Kevin Smith's TUSK! Fantastic Fest 2014! -- 5 total posts 5 posts