This Week's SATURDAY SHORTS: Robots, Puppets, Time Travel, and Drama!
Hello ladies and gentlemen, Muldoon here with this week's selection of interesting short films I think you ought to take a peak at. This week truly is all over the place, something I just like to do - toss a bunch of great films in a bag, shake it up, and pull out whatever random surprise there is. We've got animation, comedy, drama, and a few that I just can't quite pin down. Regardless, they all stood out to me as something I'd want to show off to my friends, internet friends included. So if you're in the mood to dip into some random fun, then let's do this. This week is like a condensed version of hopping from theater to theater at your local megaplex... Be sure to just walk into each flick without much knowledge/bias beforehand and you're bound to have a good eye opening time. So without further ado, let's strap on in and have our faces blown off with these six incredible shorts!
Go grab yourself some popcorn, lock your kids in a closet, kill the lights, relax and check out this little weekly film fest we've got ourselves here!
Animation! The best way to kick off a Saturday, right? Director/Animator galore Dean Wright has our first short, a film about a robotic window washer. It's a funny, energetic, and beautifully animated tale that has no problem keeping your eyes glued to the screen. It's clever as hell and genuinely has me curious as to what Wright's going to do next. Keep 'em coming, Dean!
Boom! Up next is a slightly fucked up puppet drama. Orlando Rivera II and Josh Self have our next film, a film with many lovely bits of "Oh! Ew... Wait..." It's fun, but I do think it runs a minute or so longer than necessary - never the less - I really dig it and hope you folks do to! "Sam, a muppo skinner's apprentice, must confront the realities of his profession when a muppo named Harvey wakes up on the cutting table. With a customer anxious to get Harvey's hide, Sam must choose whether to set him free, or finish the skinning that has already been started." If you're curious as to what the guys are up to now with their IFYW company, then be sure to hit up their website where there's info on a rather cool looking comic book the guys put together called MANIFEST.
Gear shift time. Here's an incredible dramatic film from director Chris Dundon. Stellar performances and beautifully designed shots help highlight this already endearing story about a young man who was born into a tough familial position. "Simon’s brother Mark suffers from Fragile X Syndrome. Simon believes his failure to lead a normal adolescent life is solely down to his brothers disability."
Bang! Here's a fun film from Dave Eves that takes place in the woods, a place full of all sorts of strange and bizarre creatures. "A Hunter is faced with a difficult situation after he accidentally shoots something he did not expect to find in the woods."
THE ART OF MOTION
I'm always down to check out a glimpse at a day in other people's lives. This film, from director Ollie Elliot, takes a relaxed look at the folks who thrive off of jumoing across alleys, flying through the air, and doing backflips off of walls. I'm fascinated with parkour and have a good friend in Austin (Levi) who is nothing short of a parkour beast. The amount of gymnastics work and understanding of physics (primarily how gravity works) is an often ignored concept when you think of this stuff. I've seen one to many fail videos where kiddos leap before thinking. This short is a great point of view, and the music choice is refreshing.
Last, but certainly not least is a fun contained film that's chock-full of time travelling frustrations and is an ultimate reminder of why it's always cool to keep your cool. "chalk Ticked Off tells the story of an inventor and his continuous attempts at time travel, but all is not as it seems. Produced as our final year degree film at Duncan Of Jordanstone College of Art and Design in Dundee, Scotland." If you dug what Kieran Duncan put together with this short, then travel over to his website and see what else the guy's got going on!
Okay folks, that's it for this week. Hopefully you found something you really liked and wouldn't have seen otherwise (the only reason I do this fun column!), but if not - then well, maybe something next week will rock your boat. I'll see you fine folks later, but in the mean time - go grab a camera and make something awesome. Adios!
If you have a short and think it belongs here or are on the fence about whether to send it in, please do send it in - I'd love to see what you've put together. I've already seen hundreds of fresh new filmmakers' shorts and like any good addict, I need more!
Shoot me an email at "Mike@aintitcool.com"
In the subject line include:
“SHORTS” + “Your film’s name” + “The film’s genre”
Then, in the body of the email, please include a synopsis of the film and any contact information you might think I need or would want published. The more info you send my way, the more info there is to put with your short.
Please don’t feel the need to submit multiple times.
Remember, the filmmakers might still be in the audience, so feel free to share your thoughts in Talkbacks below. (JUST DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE). I picked them, so you know I think highly of all of these, but how about you fine folks? How'd you like 'em?
BY THE WAY: If you've had a short featured here, that means that I personally am a fan of your work, so feel free to shoot me any kind of news on new projects/films/whatever. I can't say I'll be able to help or in what capacity, but I'm interested in your work and am always down to see more! (Keep making cool stuff, everyone!)
- Mike McCutchen
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 360 total posts 203 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 148 total posts 107 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 115 total posts 29 posts
- The Fellows Behind The Big-Screen JUMP STREET (And THE LEGO MOVIE And CLONE HIGH) Plan To Reboot Another Steven J. Cannell Series: THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO!! -- 61 total posts 24 posts
- Amazon To Bring Back Patrick Warburton As Ben Edlund’s TICK?? -- 22 total posts 22 posts
- Capone says AS ABOVE/SO BELOW uses a chilling location to terrifying effect!!! -- 45 total posts 19 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 300 total posts 18 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 286 total posts 16 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 191 total posts 5 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Fox's Batman-Free GOTHAM, Woody’s MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT, The Final Season Of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS & STAR TREK News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 5 total posts 5 posts