Live in Chicago? Capone has seats to an early screening of BOYHOOD, with writer-director Richard Linklater Q&A!!!
Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.
At this year's SXSW Film Festival, I saw a film that I knew would be destined to be one of my favorites of the year, and so far, that's still the case. I’m sure you’ve heard something over the last couple of years about writer-director Richard Linklater’s ongoing 12-year project BOYHOOD, in which he and a small group of actors (star Ellar Coltraine, Ethan Hawke as the boy’s father, Patricia Arquette as his mother, and Linklater’s own daughter, Lorelei, as his sister) would get together in various combinations once a year for 12 years and shoot a segment. The resulting, nearly three-hour work is something not quite like anything we’ve seen before, certainly not in narrative filmmaking. And my guess is that every person that views the film will respond differently—parents will feel differently than those without kids; young people will see Ellar’s world one way, while us fogies will find it as something more nostalgic.
BOYHOOD is a film, not about a younger person’s big moments growing up, but instead it’s about more everyday events that we all likely have in common. And because of that, it feels more universal in its execution and appeal. And I’d really love for a handful of Ain’t It Cool News readers to see this film before it opens, complete with a post-screening Q&A with its creator Richard Linklater (moderated, I’m told, by my colleague Richard Roeper).
This early screening of BOYHOOD takes place Tuesday, July 15 at 6:30pm (please note the earlier start time) at a theater in Chicago (the exact location will only be given to the winners).
To win a pair of tickets (or just one, if that's all you want), send me an email at BoyhoodChicago@aintitcoolmail.com (please note the new email address) with the subject line "Boyhood" (exactly like that). In the body of the email, I need your full Name, whether or not you're bringing a Guest (each winner may bring ONE confirmed guest--if I think you gave your +1 to someone trolling for free tickets at the theater, you won't get in), and the answer to the following question: "What is your favorite film that concerns or marks the passage of time, and why?” I’m being pretty vague here, so as long as your reason for choosing a particular titles is solid, you’re in good shape. Keep your responses BRIEF--no more than 100 words (no matter how tempted you are to go over the limit). Best answers win, and you'll hear from me VERY SOON if you won, so check your email over the weekend!
Because this is not an exclusive Ain't It Cool News event, it is overbooked to guarantee a full house for our guest. Winners' seats will be held until 15 minutes before showtime (meaning 6:15pm), at which time any empty seats in our rows will be given away. So you should arrive early to make sure you get in and get a good seat. If you can't arrive early, don't enter this contest. If there's even the slightest chance you or your guest will have to back out of attending or arrive late if you do win, don't enter. If you have a job that might make you late or unable to attend, or an ill/pregnant relative, or a temperamental significant other, or a scratchy throat, do not enter. And the 24-hour-notice-to-cancel rule is done. If you win and don't show up, the Black List is your new best friend.
Good luck, everyone! And thanks to IFC Films for giving us this very cool screening and bringing Richard Linklater back to Chicago.
-- Steve Prokopy
Follow Me On Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Season Premiere Of DOCTOR WHO And Asks: Why Is It So Terrible?? -- 157 total posts 157 posts
- Matthew McConaughey as Randall Flag in THE STAND?!! -- 119 total posts 119 posts
- Quint sits down with Frank Miller to talk a little about Sin City: A Dame To Kill For! -- 158 total posts 115 posts
- Get A Grip On Denzel Washington’s EQUALIZER!! -- 109 total posts 109 posts
- Take A ‘Deep Breath’ - The DOCTOR WHO S8 Weekend Docbacks Begin Now!! -- 103 total posts 103 posts
- Trailer for Gregg Araki's WHITE BIRD IN A BLIZZARD, Starring Shailene Woodley and Eva Green! -- 98 total posts 92 posts
- Shane Black to bring Remo Williams back to the big screen in THE DESTROYER! -- 219 total posts 86 posts
- Is Tarantino about to make Jennifer Lawrence one of THE HATEFUL EIGHT!?! -- 160 total posts 82 posts
- August Picks & Peeks 2014 Catch Up: DePalma, Jarmusch, Corman, Cuaron, Arau, Cosmotos, Brass, Huston + more! -- 384 total posts 52 posts
- Trailer for NIGHTCRAWLER! "If it bleeds, it leads!" -- 87 total posts 43 posts