Screenwriter Christopher McQuarrie Discusses EDGE OF TOMORROW’s Ending, Original Plans, Etc.!!
This isn’t “news” as much as it is, I suppose, a compelling point for discussion.
I know a great many folks who pretty much loved Tom Cruise’s darkly humored, thoroughly mental time looping epic THE EDGE OF TOMORROW. The one consistent criticism of the film, though, has been it’s ending.
If you’ve yet to see the movie, it’s best not to proceed beyond this point. But for those of you who have, FilmSchoolRejects has an interesting discussion with scripter Christopher McQuarrie about the challenges of closing Cruise’s exhausting loop and ending the picture.
“I was always arguing it has to end on the helicopter,” he explained. “You have to be thrown back to wondering, ‘Did the movie even happen? Did any of this really happen?’ To that end, there were a million things you had to do with the writing and visually, to serve that ending. That presented a lot of challenges and debate for us. We really struggled to deliver what the movie needed to be emotionally. I know the ending was somewhat controversial, with some people who didn’t like it. I think the only way to make those people happy would to end the movie in a way that wasn’t happy. We weren’t interested in doing that. It needed to end in a way that wasn’t harsh.
..says McQuarrie HERE, in a piece which also discusses some changes to the film’s final campaign against the Mimics.
I didn’t mind EDGE OF TOMORROW’s ending - I felt it was at least earned and rational within the framework of the narrative - but I do feel the wrap-up might’ve had a bit more emotional bite or resonance. There’s cewrtainly an agreeable ambiguity to ‘what happens next?’ - but I’m not sure it payed off completely in terms of how much we’d already invested in the Cruise and Blunt characters.
What do you think?
If you haven’t seen EDGE OF TOMORROW, consider checking it out. Some of the humor - which I understand Cruise had to guide filmmakers towards - is rather wonderful, and it’s a spectacular and generally smart ride as well.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 24 total posts 24 posts
- Morgan Freeman Joins the Cast of BEN-HUR! -- 230 total posts 8 posts
‘Why Must It Always
Hercules Loves The Return Of Nelson Van Alden In Tonight’s BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! -- 37 total posts 7 posts
- STAR TREK Vet Bryan Fuller’s HIGH MOON Pilot Hits Syfy!! The Dome Is Shrinking On Penultimate UNDER!! 3-Hour International NINJA WARRIOR Special!! APPROVAL MATRIX & MASTERCHEF Finales!! LOVE & HIP HOP HOLLYWOOD Premiere!! New MNF, DALLAS, WOLF, MODEL & RAW!! TERROR IN NAIROBI On HBO!! Bill Hader & Nancy Pelosi on SETH!! Tim Olyphant & Nasim Pedrad On CONAN!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 6 total posts 6 posts
- Kelvington Says Tonight’s DOCTOR WHO Is A Perfect Episode – Were It Not For The Episode’s Foreshadowing!! -- 138 total posts 4 posts
- ‘Listen’!! Reader Reaction To DOCTOR WHO S08E04 Begins Now!! + HornOrSilk Reviews The ‘Zygon Hunt’ Big Finish Audio, And More!! -- 418 total posts 4 posts
- Tommy Lee Jones and Hilary Swank escort some crazy ladies across the old west in the trailer for THE HOMESMAN! -- 56 total posts 3 posts
- Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper are Back Together in the First Trailer for SERENA! -- 113 total posts 3 posts
- 2nd Sept 2014 PICKS & PEEKS Column: CAP 2, Pumpkinhead, Toho, Addams, Star Trek, Slashers, Comedy & Action+ -- 1527 total posts 2 posts
- The Jurors Return To The BIG BROTHER House!! PBS’ ROOSEVELTS Premiere!! New STRAIN, MANHATTAN, SEX, NAKED & RAY!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 19 total posts 2 posts