Screenwriter Christopher McQuarrie Discusses EDGE OF TOMORROW’s Ending, Original Plans, Etc.!!
This isn’t “news” as much as it is, I suppose, a compelling point for discussion.
I know a great many folks who pretty much loved Tom Cruise’s darkly humored, thoroughly mental time looping epic THE EDGE OF TOMORROW. The one consistent criticism of the film, though, has been it’s ending.
If you’ve yet to see the movie, it’s best not to proceed beyond this point. But for those of you who have, FilmSchoolRejects has an interesting discussion with scripter Christopher McQuarrie about the challenges of closing Cruise’s exhausting loop and ending the picture.
“I was always arguing it has to end on the helicopter,” he explained. “You have to be thrown back to wondering, ‘Did the movie even happen? Did any of this really happen?’ To that end, there were a million things you had to do with the writing and visually, to serve that ending. That presented a lot of challenges and debate for us. We really struggled to deliver what the movie needed to be emotionally. I know the ending was somewhat controversial, with some people who didn’t like it. I think the only way to make those people happy would to end the movie in a way that wasn’t happy. We weren’t interested in doing that. It needed to end in a way that wasn’t harsh.
..says McQuarrie HERE, in a piece which also discusses some changes to the film’s final campaign against the Mimics.
I didn’t mind EDGE OF TOMORROW’s ending - I felt it was at least earned and rational within the framework of the narrative - but I do feel the wrap-up might’ve had a bit more emotional bite or resonance. There’s cewrtainly an agreeable ambiguity to ‘what happens next?’ - but I’m not sure it payed off completely in terms of how much we’d already invested in the Cruise and Blunt characters.
What do you think?
If you haven’t seen EDGE OF TOMORROW, consider checking it out. Some of the humor - which I understand Cruise had to guide filmmakers towards - is rather wonderful, and it’s a spectacular and generally smart ride as well.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- At Long Last, Our First Trailer For MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!! Official Vid Of Comic-Con Reel!! -- 590 total posts 139 posts
- Harry says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is better than German Chocolate Cake & means it!!! -- 456 total posts 136 posts
- Watch Quickly!! Some Test Footage From Tim Miller And Ryan Reynolds’ DEADPOOL Movie!! -- 97 total posts 97 posts
- SDCC '14: First footage of Batman vs Superman screens!!! Now w/ hi-res look at Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman!! -- 738 total posts 73 posts
- A Nifty Video Tour Of The Warner Bros Museum Commemorates BATMAN’s 75th Anniversary!! -- 35 total posts 35 posts
- Our First Katniss-centric Trailer For THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY PART 1!! -- 27 total posts 27 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint runs down the AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON footage!!! -- 169 total posts 27 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen actual footage from George Miller's MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!!! -- 132 total posts 25 posts
- A New Tease For DOCTOR WHO Season / Series 8!! -- 23 total posts 23 posts
- Disney Infinity Summons Loki, Green Goblln, And Ronan the Accuser!! -- 23 total posts 23 posts