"I'm showing him how the world works. You work, you get paid, you drink." Bill Murray does outright comedy in this ST. VINCENT trailer!
You can say a lot of things about this ST. VINCENT trailer. You can say it has the same "lovable schmuck befriends awkward child" scenario used in countless dramedies, from THE WAY, WAY BACK to ABOUT A BOY and so on. You can say it seems a little obvious, what with the split between the boy's conservative side, represented by his priest (Chris O'Dowd) and his mother, and his more anarchic tendencies, which bad-boy Bill Murray has to coax out of him. You could even say that the tone looks unremarkable, that none of the jokes are haymakers, and that it could very well be a lukewarm wannabe charmer.
This is Bill Murray's first starring role in an out-and-out comedy since, I'm not kidding, THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO LITTLE 17 years ago. He's been funny in movies like THE MONUMENTS MEN, THE CRADLE WILL ROCK, and, of course, the Wes Anderson jams, but he hasn't been the lead, and certainly hasn't been veering this close to the type of lackadaisical schlub he used to play in the early days. I'm not saying he looks hilarious in this movie, just that it's nice to see him let his hair down and once again be the guy kickin' back with a beer and an empty bank account. That alone could make this one worth checking out.
It's funny that this trailer comes out the same day some outlets have published their (appropriately) devastating reviews for TAMMY, because the primary flaw of that film, that McCarthy sticks too much to her tried-and-true persona, seems to not be a problem here. She's playing the straight man to Bill Murray, and I, for one, am interested to see her do the whole self-righteous seriousness thing while someone else does the goofy shit.
And not only am I fine with Naomi Watts' ridiculous accent, but I'm totally excited to see the rest of her work in this film. If her entire role's as mannered as what we see here, it could be really interesting funny stuff, or it could be disastrous. Very curious.
ST. VINCENT takes care of your kids on October 24th.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Find Out How E.T. Nearly Killed Video Games In Trailer For Zak Penn's Documentary, ATARI: GAME OVER! -- 324 total posts 196 posts
- New Trailer For Christopher Nolan's INTERSTELLAR Is Here! Let's Light This Candle! -- 99 total posts 99 posts
- 5th Week of July 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: LYNCH - HERZOG - JAA - ARONOFSKY - KASDAN - WOODSTOCK!!! -- 292 total posts 81 posts
- First Poster for THE HATEFUL EIGHT Arrives, Confirming 2015 Release! -- 68 total posts 68 posts
- International Trailer and Clip for Australian Horror Film THE BABADOOK! -- 64 total posts 51 posts
- THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES Trailer Has Arrived! -- 569 total posts 47 posts
- "Welcome to the Glade." New trailer for THE MAZE RUNNER! -- 50 total posts 31 posts
- Red Band Trailer for THE DEAD 2: INDIA! -- 41 total posts 28 posts
- Jeremy Talks GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, ANT-MAN And Comic Con With Kevin Feige! -- 26 total posts 26 posts
- George R.R. Martin Scales Back HBO Activity To Focus On Completing WINDS OF WINTER!! -- 137 total posts 22 posts