"I'm showing him how the world works. You work, you get paid, you drink." Bill Murray does outright comedy in this ST. VINCENT trailer!
You can say a lot of things about this ST. VINCENT trailer. You can say it has the same "lovable schmuck befriends awkward child" scenario used in countless dramedies, from THE WAY, WAY BACK to ABOUT A BOY and so on. You can say it seems a little obvious, what with the split between the boy's conservative side, represented by his priest (Chris O'Dowd) and his mother, and his more anarchic tendencies, which bad-boy Bill Murray has to coax out of him. You could even say that the tone looks unremarkable, that none of the jokes are haymakers, and that it could very well be a lukewarm wannabe charmer.
This is Bill Murray's first starring role in an out-and-out comedy since, I'm not kidding, THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO LITTLE 17 years ago. He's been funny in movies like THE MONUMENTS MEN, THE CRADLE WILL ROCK, and, of course, the Wes Anderson jams, but he hasn't been the lead, and certainly hasn't been veering this close to the type of lackadaisical schlub he used to play in the early days. I'm not saying he looks hilarious in this movie, just that it's nice to see him let his hair down and once again be the guy kickin' back with a beer and an empty bank account. That alone could make this one worth checking out.
It's funny that this trailer comes out the same day some outlets have published their (appropriately) devastating reviews for TAMMY, because the primary flaw of that film, that McCarthy sticks too much to her tried-and-true persona, seems to not be a problem here. She's playing the straight man to Bill Murray, and I, for one, am interested to see her do the whole self-righteous seriousness thing while someone else does the goofy shit.
And not only am I fine with Naomi Watts' ridiculous accent, but I'm totally excited to see the rest of her work in this film. If her entire role's as mannered as what we see here, it could be really interesting funny stuff, or it could be disastrous. Very curious.
ST. VINCENT takes care of your kids on October 24th.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- JJ Abrams reveals a rusted out, beat up awesome looking X-Wing in new video! -- 428 total posts 42 posts
- Idris Elba to play one of Guy Ritchie's KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE! -- 218 total posts 40 posts
- Could This Be The (Barebones) Plot Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII?! SPOILERS! -- 1476 total posts 33 posts
- Universal Taps Alex Kurtzman And Chris Morgan To Reboot The Studio's Classic Monsters! -- 723 total posts 32 posts
- For your viewing pleasure, a 5-minute clip of Star Lord and his GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! -- 170 total posts 25 posts
- Look Upon JURASSIC WORLD’s Comic Con Exclusive Poster!! -- 157 total posts 12 posts
Only Seven Episodes
Of LOUIE Next Year!! -- 21 total posts 11 posts
- AICN COMICS Q&@: Russ Sheath talks to artist Humberto Ramos about his new sketchbook MY MARVELS: Vol 2! -- 8 total posts 8 posts
- Jake Gyllenhaal Sells Himself In Viral Teaser For Dan Gilroy's NIGHTCRAWLER! -- 49 total posts 8 posts
Longest. Marathon. Ever.
FXX To Air All 25 Years Of THE SIMPSONS Over 12 Days Starting Aug. 21!! -- 40 total posts 7 posts