"I'm showing him how the world works. You work, you get paid, you drink." Bill Murray does outright comedy in this ST. VINCENT trailer!
You can say a lot of things about this ST. VINCENT trailer. You can say it has the same "lovable schmuck befriends awkward child" scenario used in countless dramedies, from THE WAY, WAY BACK to ABOUT A BOY and so on. You can say it seems a little obvious, what with the split between the boy's conservative side, represented by his priest (Chris O'Dowd) and his mother, and his more anarchic tendencies, which bad-boy Bill Murray has to coax out of him. You could even say that the tone looks unremarkable, that none of the jokes are haymakers, and that it could very well be a lukewarm wannabe charmer.
This is Bill Murray's first starring role in an out-and-out comedy since, I'm not kidding, THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO LITTLE 17 years ago. He's been funny in movies like THE MONUMENTS MEN, THE CRADLE WILL ROCK, and, of course, the Wes Anderson jams, but he hasn't been the lead, and certainly hasn't been veering this close to the type of lackadaisical schlub he used to play in the early days. I'm not saying he looks hilarious in this movie, just that it's nice to see him let his hair down and once again be the guy kickin' back with a beer and an empty bank account. That alone could make this one worth checking out.
It's funny that this trailer comes out the same day some outlets have published their (appropriately) devastating reviews for TAMMY, because the primary flaw of that film, that McCarthy sticks too much to her tried-and-true persona, seems to not be a problem here. She's playing the straight man to Bill Murray, and I, for one, am interested to see her do the whole self-righteous seriousness thing while someone else does the goofy shit.
And not only am I fine with Naomi Watts' ridiculous accent, but I'm totally excited to see the rest of her work in this film. If her entire role's as mannered as what we see here, it could be really interesting funny stuff, or it could be disastrous. Very curious.
ST. VINCENT takes care of your kids on October 24th.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Timur Bekmambetov Finds His Ben-Hur For, Well, BEN-HUR!! -- 247 total posts 247 posts
- 3rd PICKS & PEEKS of Sept 2014: Crichton Blus, THE PARTY, Bloody Entertainment, GODZILLA 3D & More!!! -- 589 total posts 175 posts
- Is DOCTOR STRANGE coming to us in July 2016?!! -- 94 total posts 94 posts
- Loki vs. King Kong in SKULL ISLAND! -- 356 total posts 81 posts
- DESTINY ‘Raids’ Have Begun!! More Events Coming Soon!! -- 71 total posts 71 posts
- More Details On The Upcoming And Promising ALIEN: ISOLATION Game!! 'Survivor Mode’!! -- 64 total posts 64 posts
- Promo Images From DOCTOR WHO S08E05 - ‘Time Heist’!! -- 160 total posts 58 posts
- A New Trailer For Robert Downey Jr’s THE JUDGE!! -- 56 total posts 56 posts
- Meet Bigfoot in this New Clip from EXISTS! -- 55 total posts 55 posts
- 12 TIFF reviews from 'garbageman33' covers everything from Gyllenhaal in NIGHTCRAWLER to Baumbach's WHILE WE'RE YOUNG! -- 40 total posts 38 posts