Rumors that Shane Black's PREDATOR flick is a reboot have been mildly exaggerated!
So we thought that Shane Black and Fred Dekker were working on a PREDATOR reboot for Fox. Turns out that's not entirely true.
In an interview with Collider, Black claims that the new project is more of a straight-up sequel than a reboot. Apparently, Black (like many of us) isn't really a fan of the whole reboot trend, and is not a fan of the idea of disregarding the extended mythos that's been created around the character for the past 27 years.
Here's a snippet from Collider's report with some choice quotes from Black:
While the initial report said that Black’s new PREDATOR film would be a reboot, Black tells us that he and Dekker see the project as definitely not a reboot, “As far as Fred and I are concerned anyway,” Black said, adding “Why start over, when you’ve all this rich mythology yet to mine?” Black said he doesn’t like reboots generally, but can “really get behind inventive sequels”, noting that he likes “the idea of expanding and exploring the existing PREDATOR mythology, rather than hitting the restart button.”
The question then becomes, are Black and Dekker (never gets old) going to bring back some of the surviving characters from the last three official PREDATORs? Are they going to go against Drew McWeeny's advice and bring Arnold's Dutch back into the fray? Or maybe even Danny Glover, Adrien Brody, or Adam Baldwin, whose PREDATOR 2 character was originally supposed to return in AVP: REQUIEM?
Honestly, at this point, I'm not even sure if the pair are going for the same "group gets picked off one by one" formula of the previous PREDATOR features. That "inventive sequel" quote, along with Black's unwillingness to follow typical studio guidelines (he was fired from LETHAL WEAPON 2 for wanting to kill Riggs, and his Mandarin twist in IM3 was both polarizing and totally brave), makes me think they have more up their sleeve than we might expect. Still, reboot, sequel, whatever these guys are cookin', I'm already there.
Having said that, watch the skies. I'm anticipating some exciting news on the horizon.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 179 total posts 24 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 128 total posts 14 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 83 total posts 5 posts
- Here’s BBC’s Synopsis Of DOCTOR WHO S08E03: “Robots of Sherwood’ !! -- 61 total posts 5 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 105 total posts 3 posts
- Co-Director Anthony Russo Is Teasing, What, Exactly, Regarding CAPTAIN AMERICA 3?? -- 200 total posts 3 posts
2012-2014 -- 32 total posts 2 posts
- Our first look at the main character from Pixar's INSIDE OUT! -- 102 total posts 1 post
- Just How Conjoined Is Sarah Paulson In AHS FREAK SHOW?? See For Yourself!! -- 44 total posts 1 post
- Martin Scorsese May Make A Film About One Of America's Greatest Bands! Gabba Gabba Hey! -- 218 total posts 1 post