Rumors that Shane Black's PREDATOR flick is a reboot have been mildly exaggerated!
So we thought that Shane Black and Fred Dekker were working on a PREDATOR reboot for Fox. Turns out that's not entirely true.
In an interview with Collider, Black claims that the new project is more of a straight-up sequel than a reboot. Apparently, Black (like many of us) isn't really a fan of the whole reboot trend, and is not a fan of the idea of disregarding the extended mythos that's been created around the character for the past 27 years.
Here's a snippet from Collider's report with some choice quotes from Black:
While the initial report said that Black’s new PREDATOR film would be a reboot, Black tells us that he and Dekker see the project as definitely not a reboot, “As far as Fred and I are concerned anyway,” Black said, adding “Why start over, when you’ve all this rich mythology yet to mine?” Black said he doesn’t like reboots generally, but can “really get behind inventive sequels”, noting that he likes “the idea of expanding and exploring the existing PREDATOR mythology, rather than hitting the restart button.”
The question then becomes, are Black and Dekker (never gets old) going to bring back some of the surviving characters from the last three official PREDATORs? Are they going to go against Drew McWeeny's advice and bring Arnold's Dutch back into the fray? Or maybe even Danny Glover, Adrien Brody, or Adam Baldwin, whose PREDATOR 2 character was originally supposed to return in AVP: REQUIEM?
Honestly, at this point, I'm not even sure if the pair are going for the same "group gets picked off one by one" formula of the previous PREDATOR features. That "inventive sequel" quote, along with Black's unwillingness to follow typical studio guidelines (he was fired from LETHAL WEAPON 2 for wanting to kill Riggs, and his Mandarin twist in IM3 was both polarizing and totally brave), makes me think they have more up their sleeve than we might expect. Still, reboot, sequel, whatever these guys are cookin', I'm already there.
Having said that, watch the skies. I'm anticipating some exciting news on the horizon.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Alex Kurtzman (as in Kurtzman and Orci) to direct the MUMMY reboot...yay?!! -- 220 total posts 121 posts
- New Trailer For Christopher Nolan's INTERSTELLAR Is Here! Let's Light This Candle! -- 344 total posts 99 posts
- Jeremy Talks GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, ANT-MAN And Comic Con With Kevin Feige! -- 197 total posts 59 posts
- First Poster for THE HATEFUL EIGHT Arrives, Confirming 2015 Release! -- 171 total posts 48 posts
- HBO Greenlights New Class Warfare Miniseries From THE WIRE Mastermind David Simon!! -- 82 total posts 46 posts
- Trailer for NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM 3...yeah, you're welcome! -- 207 total posts 46 posts
- Rest In Peace Makeup Legend Dick Smith -- 26 total posts 26 posts
- NBC Hires A PILF To Play Peter Pan Opposite Walken’s Captain Hook!! -- 38 total posts 22 posts
- Is a New TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE Film in the Works? -- 49 total posts 20 posts
- Find Out How E.T. Nearly Killed Video Games In Trailer For Zak Penn's Documentary, ATARI: GAME OVER! -- 374 total posts 18 posts