Rumors that Shane Black's PREDATOR flick is a reboot have been mildly exaggerated!
So we thought that Shane Black and Fred Dekker were working on a PREDATOR reboot for Fox. Turns out that's not entirely true.
In an interview with Collider, Black claims that the new project is more of a straight-up sequel than a reboot. Apparently, Black (like many of us) isn't really a fan of the whole reboot trend, and is not a fan of the idea of disregarding the extended mythos that's been created around the character for the past 27 years.
Here's a snippet from Collider's report with some choice quotes from Black:
While the initial report said that Black’s new PREDATOR film would be a reboot, Black tells us that he and Dekker see the project as definitely not a reboot, “As far as Fred and I are concerned anyway,” Black said, adding “Why start over, when you’ve all this rich mythology yet to mine?” Black said he doesn’t like reboots generally, but can “really get behind inventive sequels”, noting that he likes “the idea of expanding and exploring the existing PREDATOR mythology, rather than hitting the restart button.”
The question then becomes, are Black and Dekker (never gets old) going to bring back some of the surviving characters from the last three official PREDATORs? Are they going to go against Drew McWeeny's advice and bring Arnold's Dutch back into the fray? Or maybe even Danny Glover, Adrien Brody, or Adam Baldwin, whose PREDATOR 2 character was originally supposed to return in AVP: REQUIEM?
Honestly, at this point, I'm not even sure if the pair are going for the same "group gets picked off one by one" formula of the previous PREDATOR features. That "inventive sequel" quote, along with Black's unwillingness to follow typical studio guidelines (he was fired from LETHAL WEAPON 2 for wanting to kill Riggs, and his Mandarin twist in IM3 was both polarizing and totally brave), makes me think they have more up their sleeve than we might expect. Still, reboot, sequel, whatever these guys are cookin', I'm already there.
Having said that, watch the skies. I'm anticipating some exciting news on the horizon.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- The Bat Cowl from BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is in the hall! -- 229 total posts 229 posts
- There's a new awesome filming location for STAR WARS 7!!! -- 186 total posts 186 posts
- FIFTY SHADES OF GREY Trailer Is Like Daaaaayuuuuuuum! -- 132 total posts 131 posts
- Beginning of a flood of AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic Con Artwork?!?! -- 200 total posts 116 posts
- Marvel Debuts Special ANT-MAN Poster For Comic Con! -- 109 total posts 66 posts
- Behold The Blazing New Poster For THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES!! -- 218 total posts 54 posts
- Sony Says Fuck It, Announces Release Dates For THE SINISTER SIX And THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3! -- 348 total posts 53 posts
- SDCC '14: Title logo for WARCRAFT! -- 60 total posts 48 posts
- Marvel sets one additional 2018 release date! -- 104 total posts 43 posts
- He's not 007 anymore, but Pierce Brosnan is still kicking ass across Europe in the full trailer for THE NOVEMBER MAN! -- 85 total posts 36 posts