Harrison Ford's Broken Leg May Delay The Arrival Of EPISODE VII
Harrison Ford will turn seventy-two this July, which means he is at that age where you don't want to sprain or break shit if you can help it. Problem is, it's a lot easier to break shit when you're seventy-two, and much harder to make a full recovery.
As you all surely know by now, Ford broke his leg a couple of weeks ago in a mishap somewhere in the vicinity of the actual Millennium Falcon on the set of STAR WARS: EPISODE VII. Ford's a tough bastard, so I've little doubt he'll be up and at 'em as soon as possible. Unfortunately, the word coming from the set is that he could be out of service for as long as six months. And this is a huge problem because Han Solo is pretty much the main character of EPISODE VII, leading a galaxy-wide search party for Luke Skywalker. So I do not have a hard time believing Jedi News' rumor that there was an emergency meeting today on the film's Pinewood Studios set to determine whether J.J. Abrams and company can realistically make their December 18, 2015 release date.
I know Disney was adamant about keeping EPISODE VII in 2015, but if Ford's out, they've little choice but to shoot what they can without him and wait for him to get better. If that takes six months, this means the studio would likely be forced to move the film to Memorial Day 2016, which means they'd have to find another release date for ALICE IN WONDERLAND 2. This would also leave Disney without a major Christmas 2015 movie, so another tentpole flick would have to be moved into December. Realistic options? TOMORROWLAND (currently set for 5/22/15), ANT-MAN (7/17/15) or Jon Favreau's THE JUNGLE BOOK (10/9/15). There's also Steven Spielberg's untitled Cold War spy thriller starring Tom Hanks (10/16/15), but that's not a four-quadrant picture.
This rumor is getting a good deal of traction, so I'd expect some kind of official response from Disney fairly soon. Given what I know about EPISODE VII's story (along with the recent hiring of writer-director Rian Johnson for EPISODES VIII and IX), I'm genuinely looking forward to this new trilogy. It took them longer than expected to beat the script into shape, but they're really happy with it, and there's zero possibility of a significant rewrite to work around Ford's injury. Han's the man in this movie. That's not going to change.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 685 total posts 62 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 406 total posts 40 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 43 total posts 26 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 360 total posts 25 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 212 total posts 21 posts
- A New Clip From STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 13 total posts 13 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 360 total posts 13 posts
- Fantastic Fest 2014 Trailer Wave Part 2! -- 18 total posts 10 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 318 total posts 9 posts