What Make The Critics
Of TNT’s THE LAST SHIP??
“The Last Ship” stars Rhona Mitra (“Gideon’s Crossing,” “The Practice,” “Boston Legal”), Adam Baldwin (“Firefly”) and Eric Dane (who played Dr. McSteamy on one of ABC’s many lady-doctor shows). It’s about a U.S. naval vessel that decides to stay at sea after a virus wipes out half the world population. It’s from writer-producers Steven Kane (“The Closer”) and Hank Steinberg (“The Nine”).
It is not to be confused with ABC’s “The Last Resort,” which also starred a “Gideon’s Crossing” vet and was also about a U.S. naval vessel that decided not to return to America following an international crisis.
... The characters are not complex. … It’s the expertly rendered combat scenes and vivid depictions of danger that provide excitement and suspense …
... Chandler can handle banter, bathos (Chandler left a wife and kids behind in the now plague-decimated States) and blather (some of the dialogue is less written than forked out of a can). … seems determined to put concept before character … Although the crew of the Nathan James are likable enough, three episodes in, no Tyrion or Arya, no Daryl or Michonne have emerged. …
... despite the fact that there's nothing here you haven't seen before, TNT makes it fun to watch. …
... Despite some initial problems with pace and a bland idea of suspense, “The Last Ship” is at least a break from all the detective and lawyer shows …
... It’s entirely possible “The Last Ship” could turn out to be a cruise to nowhere, but in its first three episodes, it’s at least a fun ride.
... While no one here is likely to win an Emmy for acting or writing — although the gifted effects and technical crew should win a boatload — prestige is not the point of a show like “The Last Ship” …
... awfully square in its hokey heroics, solemn acting and predictable subplots: a dull shipboard romance, a lurking saboteur. But it also has the feel of a summer page-turner, sturdy as the title vessel but also just as stodgy. …
... never pretends to be anything more than pure entertainment and that works for the series right from the start. …
... as starts go, this one picks up speed, but still feels a little rocky. That said, there’s enough here to want to hang around for a spell, waiting to see whether this crew can find its sea legs …
9 p.m. Sunday. TNT.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Matthew McConaughey as Randall Flag in THE STAND?!! -- 164 total posts 36 posts
- Take A ‘Deep Breath’ - The DOCTOR WHO S8 Weekend Docbacks Begin Now!! -- 122 total posts 13 posts
- Get A Grip On Denzel Washington’s EQUALIZER!! -- 115 total posts 5 posts
- ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Season Premiere Of DOCTOR WHO And Asks: Why Is It So Terrible?? -- 170 total posts 5 posts
- Quint sits down with Frank Miller to talk a little about Sin City: A Dame To Kill For! -- 162 total posts 3 posts
- An Andrew Dominik-written, Justin Lin-directed SHAOLIN TEMPLE remake is in the works! -- 26 total posts 3 posts
- AICN Tabletop: Abstruse Reports On GenCon 2014! -- 14 total posts 2 posts
- BIG BROTHER Eviction Nine!! RECTIFY & ROOKIE BLUE Finales!! New GARFUNKLE, JESUS, NAKED, QUEST, WORST, MARRIED, MYTHBUSTERS, RUSH, RECTIFY, DOOMSDAY, DEFIANCE, SWEDEN, SATISFACTION, ENGELS, GAME, BOO BOO, BAD, BIBLE!! Bunnymen On LETTERMAN!! Rehearsals On CONAN!! Herc’s Thursday TV Talkback!! -- 18 total posts 2 posts
- Is Tarantino about to make Jennifer Lawrence one of THE HATEFUL EIGHT!?! -- 163 total posts 2 posts
- Jeremy Receives His Marching Orders From Combat Carl Weathers For TOY STORY OF TERROR! -- 25 total posts 1 post