You'll shit a brick when you hear who's writing and directing Star Wars Episodes 8 and 9!
UPDATE: THR is reporting that Johnson is writing and directing Episode 8, but only writing a treatment for Episode 9. If true that fits the structure of the OT, with a new director coming in for each different movie. Deadline still sticks by their original reporting of him doing both 8 and 9. Original post below:
Pre-Disney Star Wars acquisition I began a little essay about how Star Wars needs to be treated like the James Bond franchise, that there was no reason for such a rich universe to lay dormant especially since all the exciting new filmmakers hitting their strides today were all inspired by Star Wars in the first place.
I never published that essay because I thought it would be fun to reach out to some directors and get their thoughts on what they'd do with a Star Wars movie. Many of them responded off the record, one or two on the record and then it kind of fizzled out. And I'm pissed because if I had published it I'd look like a genius today, especially since one of the people who responded at the time was JJ Abrams.
Part of the fun of that concept was dreaming about what Star Wars would look like in different filmmakers' hands. One of the names I batted around in my head was a young fellow named Rian Johnson, who at that time had done Brick and The Brothers Bloom and was embarking on Looper.
Now it looks like that vision will exist outside of my head because Deadline is sure that Rian Johnson will be writing and directing Star Wars Episodes 8 and 9.
This is a brilliant move by Lucasfilm as long as they allow Rian a little room to inject his smart sci-fi sensibilities into this universe. He's great with actors, he's a student of film from all eras and one of the more exciting young minds in the business right now.
Here's some thoughts that immediately jump to mind with him on board. He will continue to film in 35mm, just as Abrams is doing with Episode 7. That's pretty much a guarantee, which is awesome to me because then the entire Luke saga will have a similar filmic look to them. And there's a whole galaxy of weird/awesome characters that Joseph Gordon-Levitt can play.
I also know that Johnson has turned down big, franchise jobs before in order to concentrate on his own work, so either Star Wars was just too big of an opportunity to turn down or he is being allowed some creative freedom to make it his own. I really hope it's the latter.
I'm going to finish off with two interesting bits. First up is Rian's perfect tweet in response to this story breaking:
Now some proof of his Star Wars bonafides. The poor bastard allowed himself to be recorded singing a Karaoke version of Weird Al's Yoda:
Such an exciting time to be a Star Wars fan. What do you guys think of this development?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- 3rd PICKS & PEEKS of Sept 2014: Crichton Blus, THE PARTY, Bloody Entertainment, GODZILLA 3D & More!!! -- 450 total posts 36 posts
- Loki vs. King Kong in SKULL ISLAND! -- 296 total posts 20 posts
- Behold The Cool(ish) IMAX Poster For DRACULA UNTOLD!! -- 170 total posts 6 posts
- Meryl Streep Bewitches the First INTO THE WOODS Poster! -- 57 total posts 6 posts
- A New Poster For Christopher Nolan’s INTERSTELLAR!! -- 207 total posts 5 posts
- 12 TIFF reviews from 'garbageman33' covers everything from Gyllenhaal in NIGHTCRAWLER to Baumbach's WHILE WE'RE YOUNG! -- 6 total posts 4 posts
- The New Trailer For THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY PART 1 Hints That The Movie Is Freakin’ Huge!! -- 284 total posts 4 posts
- Paramount has set release dates for the last two films in it's new TERMINATOR: GENISYS trilogy! -- 253 total posts 4 posts
- Check out this MASSIVE new HOBBIT: BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES banner!! -- 303 total posts 3 posts
- Here come a remake that will really make you feel old - Sony is fast tracking a remake to I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER! -- 130 total posts 3 posts