What Make The Critics Of Syfy’s New Series Sequel To 2010’s Angel-War Movie LEGION??
2010’s “Legion,” starring Paul Bettany, got negative reviews from 80% of the critics polled by Rotten Tomatoes, but Syfy decided to make a TV series out of it anyway.
I hear it hired the great Anthony Stewart Head (Rupert Giles from “Buffy”), then commanded him to ditch the British accent!
From the December press release:
Based on characters from the hit theatrical film Legion (2010), Dominion is an epic supernatural drama set in the year 25 A.E.
In this transformed post–apocalyptic future an army of lower angels, assembled by the archangel Gabriel, has waged a war of possession against mankind.
The archangel Michael, turning against his own kind, has chosen to side with humanity against Gabriel.
Rising out of the ashes of the 25 year-long battle are newly fortified cities which protect the human survivors.
In Vega (formerly Las Vegas), the largest of these cities, two houses vie for control and the stage is set for political upheaval and a dangerous power shift.
Meanwhile, a rebellious young soldier begins a perilous journey as the war between the human race and the fallen angels hell-bent on their domination escalates.
Dominion stars Christopher Egan (Kings), Tom Wisdom (300), Roxanne McKee (Game of Thrones), Alan Dale (Lost), Anthony Stewart Head (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and Luke Allen-Gale (The Borgias).
Scott Stewart, who co-wrote and directed Legion, directed the pilot.
Vaun Wilmott (Sons of Anarchy) wrote the pilot.
... The show built out of these bits and pieces is utterly familiar and predictable, and the writing slides into solemn inanity (“You gave me up. A scribbled note in the night made that clear.”) often enough that no one should feel bad about giving it a miss. …
... Television's current air of creative self-confidence may be well deserved, but to make a series-sequel to a film panned by virtually every critic on the planet is precisely the sort of hubris that causes angels to fall. … they get through it, with way too much talking and not nearly enough bodies exploding into acid.
... I happen to like the whole notion of reclaiming some of the more brutal aspects of angel mythology from the warm fuzziness of cherubs and blessed do-gooders, but soon enough in the first episode, the show becomes a paint-by-numbers exercise. …
... Granted, this series, based on the 2010 movie “Legion,” is fairly predictable and cribs from other pop culture outlets -- there’s a hint of “Hunger Games” in one arena battle scene – but the show’s cast of acting veterans manage to sell the silliness. …
... As the Chosen One, Egan is blond and bland. Dale and Head do well playing against type. As the Big Bad of the piece, Gabriel appears for perhaps 40 seconds of the 90-minute premiere and is still the most interesting character here. …
... Syfy has an alliteration-friendly summer tandem for those inclined to watch overwrought melodrama. Anyone else should probably avoid this latest episodic invader … Even as a guilty pleasure, the series requires a willingness to suspend concerns about logic, and embrace the elaborate plot entirely on its own terms, ignoring the sizable gaps in coherence as the opener races through its setup. …
... Syfy's latest drama, Dominion, may be one of the dumbest, worst-acted, most poorly written series I've seen in ages. In no way should this encourage you to tune in hoping to rubberneck this bit of awfulness in hopes of creating some kind of new drinking game. Life's too short. And you will choke on your own vomit and die alone. Don't be a hero.
9 p.m. Thursday. Syfy.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Sony Says Fuck It, Announces Release Dates For THE SINISTER SIX And THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3! -- 258 total posts 258 posts
- From The Wasteland Emerges A MAD MAX: FURY ROAD Teaser Poster! -- 146 total posts 146 posts
- Behold The Blazing New Poster For THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES!! -- 143 total posts 143 posts
- Could These International TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES Posters Win Over A Skeptical 7(ish) Year Old?? -- 135 total posts 135 posts
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay to bring you MANIMAL: THE MOVIE! -- 218 total posts 77 posts
- 4th Week of July 2014 PICKS & PEEKS: Werewolves, BLUE RUIN, Nordic Noir, ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE + more! -- 235 total posts 77 posts
- Idris Elba to play one of Guy Ritchie's KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE! -- 397 total posts 71 posts
- Aye! The Next PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN Film Has An Official Release Date!! -- 68 total posts 68 posts
- "I would never order an alcoholic beverage on the bridge..." Trailer for SPACE STATION 76 has its heart firmly in place and its tongue firmly in cheek! -- 106 total posts 57 posts
- Learn Which Movie Star Just Signed On To HBO’s Jonathan Nolan/Bad Robot Pilot WESTWORLD!! -- 46 total posts 46 posts