Chicago-area Horror Fans: Robert Englund dons his Freddy Krueger make-up for the first time in more than a decade, and helps save a Drive-In Theater in the process!!!
Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.
If you’ve been reading Ain’t It Cool News for many years, you’ve probably noticed that once a year, I help emcee a wonderful horror convention here in the Chicago area called Flashback Weekend, which this year is happening August 8-10. I’ll have a full rundown of all the great guests and events happening this year a little closer to the show (and you can always go to the Flashback Weekend site for updates), but I wanted to give you über horror fans a heads up about something truly special that’s happening on the opening night of this long-running event.
One of the guests at this year’s Flashback Weekend is iconic horror actor Robert Englund, who will be on hand celebrating the 30th anniversary of the original A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET. Englund is something of a staple of the convention circuit (he’s been to Flashback Weekend several times, in fact), but for the first time at a horror convention, he’s doing something he’s never done before, and he’s doing it for a really good cause.
On Friday, August 8 ONLY, Robert Englund will be putting on his legendary Freddy Krueger make-up to take photos with fans. To be completely accurate, it will be horror make-up effects master Robert Kurtzman who will design and apply the make-up using the same extensive process used in the ELM STREET films. It’s my understanding that this is the first time Englund has worn the Freddy Krueger make-up since acting in FREDDY VS. JASON more than 10 years ago.
After the photos are taken, Englund (still in Freddy make-up) will join the Chicago horror host Svengoolie for a late night horror talk show, Friday Night Frights Live, which will also feature a few other celebrity guests, entertainment and other surprises.
All proceeds from this special event (and all of Flashback Weekend) will go toward the Midway Drive-In Digital Fund—a funding drive to buy the Dixon, IL drive-in a digital projector to go along with its 35mm set up, used to present classic horror film festivals and for the preservation and operation of the American drive-in experience. Tickets for the Englund events (he'll be around all weekend, but will only be doing the Freddy make-up on the first day), as well as all of Flashback Weekend, can be purchased now at the event’s site. Hope to see you all there for this one-time-only event. And keep an eye out for more details on the convention soon.
-- Steve Prokopy
Follow Me On Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Evangeline Lilly Instagrams Her ANT-MAN Look!! -- 124 total posts 124 posts
- Superman gets a new costume for BATMAN V SUPERMAN! -- 247 total posts 114 posts
- Check Out this Awesome Trailer for AUTOMATA - Antonio Banderas and Robots! -- 116 total posts 109 posts
- So, What Is This BATMAN v SUPERMAN Prop Newspaper Showing Us?? [MILD SPOILER] -- 70 total posts 70 posts
- Check out a description for the first trailer for Quentin Tarantino's THE HATEFUL EIGHT! -- 108 total posts 64 posts
- August Picks & Peeks 2014 Catch Up: DePalma, Jarmusch, Corman, Cuaron, Arau, Cosmotos, Brass, Huston + more! -- 297 total posts 59 posts
- A Provocative New Trailer For THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN LIVES!! Nic Cage, Tim Burton, Kevin Smith… -- 406 total posts 55 posts
- Behold The Probably Offensive But Kinda Cool DEAD SNOW 2 Poster!! -- 42 total posts 42 posts
- Don't count Andy Serkis' JUNGLE BOOK out just yet! He's scored Batman, Galadriel, Moneypenny, and Smaug for his cast! -- 103 total posts 25 posts
- Showtime Renews MASTERS OF SEX And RAY DONOVAN For Third Seasons!! -- 18 total posts 18 posts