Chicago-area Horror Fans: Robert Englund dons his Freddy Krueger make-up for the first time in more than a decade, and helps save a Drive-In Theater in the process!!!
Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.
If you’ve been reading Ain’t It Cool News for many years, you’ve probably noticed that once a year, I help emcee a wonderful horror convention here in the Chicago area called Flashback Weekend, which this year is happening August 8-10. I’ll have a full rundown of all the great guests and events happening this year a little closer to the show (and you can always go to the Flashback Weekend site for updates), but I wanted to give you über horror fans a heads up about something truly special that’s happening on the opening night of this long-running event.
One of the guests at this year’s Flashback Weekend is iconic horror actor Robert Englund, who will be on hand celebrating the 30th anniversary of the original A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET. Englund is something of a staple of the convention circuit (he’s been to Flashback Weekend several times, in fact), but for the first time at a horror convention, he’s doing something he’s never done before, and he’s doing it for a really good cause.
On Friday, August 8 ONLY, Robert Englund will be putting on his legendary Freddy Krueger make-up to take photos with fans. To be completely accurate, it will be horror make-up effects master Robert Kurtzman who will design and apply the make-up using the same extensive process used in the ELM STREET films. It’s my understanding that this is the first time Englund has worn the Freddy Krueger make-up since acting in FREDDY VS. JASON more than 10 years ago.
After the photos are taken, Englund (still in Freddy make-up) will join the Chicago horror host Svengoolie for a late night horror talk show, Friday Night Frights Live, which will also feature a few other celebrity guests, entertainment and other surprises.
All proceeds from this special event (and all of Flashback Weekend) will go toward the Midway Drive-In Digital Fund—a funding drive to buy the Dixon, IL drive-in a digital projector to go along with its 35mm set up, used to present classic horror film festivals and for the preservation and operation of the American drive-in experience. Tickets for the Englund events (he'll be around all weekend, but will only be doing the Freddy make-up on the first day), as well as all of Flashback Weekend, can be purchased now at the event’s site. Hope to see you all there for this one-time-only event. And keep an eye out for more details on the convention soon.
-- Steve Prokopy
Follow Me On Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- At Long Last, Our First Trailer For MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!! Official Vid Of Comic-Con Reel!! -- 558 total posts 107 posts
- Harry says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is better than German Chocolate Cake & means it!!! -- 417 total posts 97 posts
- SDCC '14: First footage of Batman vs Superman screens!!! Now w/ hi-res look at Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman!! -- 699 total posts 34 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint runs down the AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON footage!!! -- 164 total posts 22 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen actual footage from George Miller's MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!!! -- 123 total posts 16 posts
- ‘You Have Failed This City!!’ When Atom Met ARROW!! 2.5 Minutes Of Season Three!! -- 50 total posts 14 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has a ton of photos and highlights from Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron panel! -- 107 total posts 12 posts
- SDCC '14: Gareth Edwards confirmed to direct GODZILLA 2! Also, a few familiar monsters we should expect! -- 145 total posts 12 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint checks out Marvel's Ant-Man panel and sees a nifty teaser sequence! -- 65 total posts 11 posts
- Full banner and character posters from AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON! -- 199 total posts 10 posts