Chicago-area Horror Fans: Robert Englund dons his Freddy Krueger make-up for the first time in more than a decade, and helps save a Drive-In Theater in the process!!!
Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.
If you’ve been reading Ain’t It Cool News for many years, you’ve probably noticed that once a year, I help emcee a wonderful horror convention here in the Chicago area called Flashback Weekend, which this year is happening August 8-10. I’ll have a full rundown of all the great guests and events happening this year a little closer to the show (and you can always go to the Flashback Weekend site for updates), but I wanted to give you über horror fans a heads up about something truly special that’s happening on the opening night of this long-running event.
One of the guests at this year’s Flashback Weekend is iconic horror actor Robert Englund, who will be on hand celebrating the 30th anniversary of the original A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET. Englund is something of a staple of the convention circuit (he’s been to Flashback Weekend several times, in fact), but for the first time at a horror convention, he’s doing something he’s never done before, and he’s doing it for a really good cause.
On Friday, August 8 ONLY, Robert Englund will be putting on his legendary Freddy Krueger make-up to take photos with fans. To be completely accurate, it will be horror make-up effects master Robert Kurtzman who will design and apply the make-up using the same extensive process used in the ELM STREET films. It’s my understanding that this is the first time Englund has worn the Freddy Krueger make-up since acting in FREDDY VS. JASON more than 10 years ago.
After the photos are taken, Englund (still in Freddy make-up) will join the Chicago horror host Svengoolie for a late night horror talk show, Friday Night Frights Live, which will also feature a few other celebrity guests, entertainment and other surprises.
All proceeds from this special event (and all of Flashback Weekend) will go toward the Midway Drive-In Digital Fund—a funding drive to buy the Dixon, IL drive-in a digital projector to go along with its 35mm set up, used to present classic horror film festivals and for the preservation and operation of the American drive-in experience. Tickets for the Englund events (he'll be around all weekend, but will only be doing the Freddy make-up on the first day), as well as all of Flashback Weekend, can be purchased now at the event’s site. Hope to see you all there for this one-time-only event. And keep an eye out for more details on the convention soon.
-- Steve Prokopy
Follow Me On Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Beginning of a flood of AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON Comic Con Artwork?!?! -- 144 total posts 61 posts
- There's a new awesome filming location for STAR WARS 7!!! -- 58 total posts 58 posts
- The Bat Cowl from BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is in the hall! -- 55 total posts 55 posts
- Marvel Debuts Special ANT-MAN Poster For Comic Con! -- 86 total posts 44 posts
- Behold The Blazing New Poster For THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES!! -- 192 total posts 28 posts
- Sony Says Fuck It, Announces Release Dates For THE SINISTER SIX And THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3! -- 320 total posts 25 posts
- SDCC '14: Title logo for WARCRAFT! -- 35 total posts 25 posts
- Marvel sets one additional 2018 release date! -- 83 total posts 22 posts
- EXPENDABLES 3 launches a ton of Comic Con posters! -- 82 total posts 21 posts
- From The Wasteland Emerges A MAD MAX: FURY ROAD Teaser Poster! -- 190 total posts 15 posts