This Week's SATURDAY SHORTS: Talking Couches, Dancing Robots, and Hilarious Torture Porn!
Hello ladies and gentlemen, Muldoon here with this week's chunk of fun short films for your viewing pleasures. This one's a little heavy on music (not necessarily music videos), but there's also some great animation and some pretty clean comedy, plus a dash of horror-comedy thrown in for good measure. This line up really is like a B12 shot - it forces you to just feel better/want to tackle the hell out of your weekend. I've lined up the feels with this week's picks, and hope you guys and gals get a kick out of them. "Muldoon... Is there really such a thing as hilarious torture porn?" Yes, just keep your eyes peeled for it below. Also, I've been doing SATURDAY SHORTS for roughly two and a half years now and I've really got to give it up to the filmmakers out there who keep sending in their work. It's one thing to get a random submission, but a whole other for folks to return months later with their latest project. The interwebs can be a cold, dark, and thankless vacuum of "meh," so it's cool as hell to see familiar names randomly hitting my inbox. So if you've got something you're sitting on, an idea, a film from college, whatever... crank it out and send it my way. Budget smudget, just keep making cool things with what you've got available. I've personally witnessed (in just these short years) some real growth from filmmakers and a handful of them have even moved up to directing fancy big budget flicks - and good for them! SATURDAY SHORTS is supposed to be fertile ground for unique visions and a platform to showcase some fun films. It's an honor and a privilege to have my little weekly film club with you folks, so gracias for checking back each week and for continuing to send in your fun films. Enough tangents, let's get on with the show!
Go grab yourself some popcorn, lock your kids in a closet, kill the lights, relax and check out this little weekly film fest we've got ourselves here:
ROB FETTERS - "DESIRE"
To kick this shindig off right, let's put on some tunes. Grant Kattmann and Scott Thierauf have built a fun (stop motion-esque) animation with adorable worker robots for a new Rob Fetters song. When I typically show a music video it's primarily due to it's interesting visuals, not necessarily because of the music itself. This song and video actually seem to compliment one another in a perfect fit.
Next up is a fun period comedy piece from Kathryn Kane and Robert Neilson. Holy hell does the period just feel right. The design is flawless and the acting is solid. "SING-SONG is the story of Jeannette, a little girl growing up in the Fifties who is consumed with resentment towards her older sister, Carol Anne. Carol Anne is seemingly perfect except for her covert taunting of Jeannette, for whom crooning love ballads offer an escape. Jeannette's bitterness mounts to a crafty retribution but she soon learns that her sister is the true solace in an unfair world."
DEAD END JOB
Ryan Cooper and the gang at Mukpuddy have our next short, an animated horror comedy with innanimate objects... well being animated. "Gas station workers, Eddie and Kevin find themselves the targets of a malicious serial killer whilst working the dreaded late shift."
Next, we have a film from Angus Swantee that's quoted as being "Awesome" by Eli Roth. It packs a few nice jokes and has a pretty gnarly look to it. "TORTUROUS is about a sociopathic murderer who doesn’t seem to be particularly good at his job. Fortunately for him, the guy he abducts is a career counselor."
GUIDED BY VOICES "Bad Love Is Easy To Do"
And to take us out, we've got a musical book end for this week's picks, a video directed by Mike Postalakis for the band "Guided By Voices." The video's filled with familiar faces in unfamiliar settings.
Bam! That's if for this week ladies and gents. I'll see you fine folks in a week, with more fun shorts I think you might want to check out. Until then, feel more than free to peruse the catalogue of talented filmmakers below:
If you have a short and think it belongs here or are on the fence about whether to send it in, please do send it in - I'd love to see what you've put together. I've already seen hundreds of fresh new filmmakers' shorts and like any good addict, I need more!
Shoot me an email at "Mike@aintitcool.com"
In the subject line include:
“SHORTS” + “Your film’s name” + “The film’s genre”
Then, in the body of the email, please include a synopsis of the film and any contact information you might think I need or would want published. The more info you send my way, the more info there is to put with your short.
Please don’t feel the need to submit multiple times.
Remember, the filmmakers might still be in the audience, so feel free to share your thoughts in Talkbacks below. (JUST DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE). I picked them, so you know I think highly of all of these, but how about you fine folks? How'd you like 'em?
BY THE WAY: If you've had a short featured here, that means that I personally am a fan of your work, so feel free to shoot me any kind of news on new projects/films/whatever. I can't say I'll be able to help or in what capacity, but I'm interested in your work and am always down to see more! (Keep making cool stuff, everyone!)
- Mike McCutchen
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- Harry says GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is better than German Chocolate Cake & means it!!! -- 389 total posts 69 posts
- At Long Last, Our First Trailer For MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!! Official Vid Of Comic-Con Reel!! -- 490 total posts 39 posts
- SDCC '14: First footage of Batman vs Superman screens!!! Now w/ hi-res look at Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman!! -- 676 total posts 11 posts
- Full banner and character posters from AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON! -- 196 total posts 7 posts
- SDCC '14: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2 flying into our galaxy in July 2017! -- 88 total posts 7 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Luc Besson’s LUCY, MONTY PYTHON LIVE (MOSTLY), Tomorrow’s LEFTOVERS And The Latest STAR WARS, DC, MARVEL, LOUIE, 24, HBO & GAME OF THRONES News!! Plus The Return Of AICN’s Own Horrorella!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 270 total posts 5 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint checks out Marvel's Ant-Man panel and sees a nifty teaser sequence! -- 58 total posts 4 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has seen actual footage from George Miller's MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!!! -- 111 total posts 4 posts
- ‘You Have Failed This City!!’ When Atom Met ARROW!! 2.5 Minutes Of Season Three!! -- 39 total posts 3 posts
- SDCC '14: Quint has a ton of photos and highlights from Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron panel! -- 97 total posts 2 posts