WB's Long-Term Plans For The DC Movie Universe Have Apparently Been Revealed!
Zack Snyder's MAN OF STEEL grossed $688 million worldwide, which, for most movies, would be a healthy, franchise-launching haul. But for a film with a reported (i.e. bullshit) budget of $225 million (it was much closer to $300 million, if not over), that's barely break-even; when you factor in the massive marketing budget and the fact that half of the gross goes to the exhibitors, it would be entirely accurate to call MAN OF STEEL a box office disappointment.
So what happens when the pricey kickoff to the DC movie universe can't even top the first IRON MAN's domestic gross (and don't forget Favreau's film didn't have a 3D or IMAX bump)? You call in the hero everyone loves (Batman), and fast-track a JUSTICE LEAGUE movie. It's a far cry from Marvel Studios' plan, but there's more than one path to success, right?
WB and DC had planned to announce their long-term vision at next month's San Diego Comic Con, but someone leaked the info to Nikki Finke, and now we have the tentative DC slate through 2018. This is it:
Finke notes that the BATMAN V. SUPERMAN delay was due to contractual issues with the future JUSTICE LEAGUE actors, several of whom will make cameos in BVS. They need to have those actors tied down to multi-picture deals ala Marvel before they go before cameras. So, yeah, WB/DC is doing this a little backwards, but that doesn't mean it can't work. Finke also notes that Ryan Reynolds is 100% finished as Green Lantern. Ouch.
As my pal Devin Faraci of Badass Digest notes, we now have a pretty clear idea of which characters are going to be JUSTICE LEAGUE: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman and Cyborg (who was recently announced). It'd be weird for Sandman to crossover into this universe, but, if it's at all legally possible, I bet there are WB execs who are trying to make it happen.
What does this mean for Marvel Studios? Fuck all, really. DC has to prove they can compete before Marvel makes any changes to their schedule. As for the Marvel orphans at Fox and Sony, I don't know much about the latter, but I have been told that THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 3 has been moved to an undetermined date in 2017. Time for a second reboot?
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Fox's Batman-Free GOTHAM, Woody’s MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT, The Final Season Of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS & STAR TREK News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 254 total posts 139 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 536 total posts 23 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 270 total posts 17 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 253 total posts 10 posts
- Amazon To Bring Back Patrick Warburton As Ben Edlund’s TICK?? -- 41 total posts 6 posts
- Harry may be crazy about SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR - but so may you -- 552 total posts 3 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 345 total posts 3 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 199 total posts 2 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 157 total posts 2 posts
- The Gathering On OUTLANDER!! Into The Dalek On DOCTOR WHO!! Monsters On BEWARE THE BATMAN!! SOLE CUSTODY On LIFETIME!! New INTRUDERS, POL, CHIMA, HILLBILLY, FLIPPING, WHEELS And OUTRAGEOUS ACTS OF SCIENCE!! Herc’s Saturday TV Talkback!! -- 6 total posts 1 post